FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why use IE?

If there is anubody using IE, give a good reason why do you use IE.

In my opinion IE is not safe. Why? Because IE is not safe. I a recent research, most hackers will attempt to hack IE.

Problem: IE not safe!

Solution: Use Mozilla Firefox(I am using this) or use Opera Browser.
Why? Because it is more safer than IE and it is an OpenSource software(Mozilla Firefox).

Conclusion: Beware of IE
Alienz
Sometime I still use IE. I have no choice cause browser like Firefox or Opera can't view certain site correctly.

You should ask, why webmaster want to make webpage base on IE. Wink
n0obie4life
hehe, nice one alienz.
meangurl
the only reason why it was always targetted by hacker is because of it's popularity... let's face it.. there are still lot's of people who uses IE (i use it sometimes)

IE's still useful in some ways.. if you're the kind if person who just surf for fun then you don't really need firefox, if you are a heavy user then it's good to use firefox... but yet... i still prefer to use IE although i'm using firefox right now Wink
blackant
If you are IE, I would suggest you use Maxthon.
It is a wrap up on IE, and it has most of the cool features like tab browser as of other good browser.

Though the security is the main issue, that is the problem with IE...we can do much about it unless you choose Firefox or Opera. Wink
demex
The only reason that it is so "inscure" is because it holds about 89% of the market. If it was the other way around and say Firefox had 89% and IE only like 5%, then Firefox would be the one that is inscure. Granted, I still think that Firefox is safer, faster, and generally better, but the insecurities found in IE are just blown way outta proportion because of its "popularity". Besides lots of newbie website designers only test their site in IE, which, uses a very weird version of html.
Maka
Cant you stick all the IE topics in one?, theres about 5 of them all asking the same question.
n0obie4life
Maka wrote:
Cant you stick all the IE topics in one?, theres about 5 of them all asking the same question.

no. not until bondings installs the "Merge posts" hack. we can only split posts Wink.
kv
I use it because
1. Still it is the best browser in terms of painting the UI
2. Lot of websites are written for IE and won't work with other browsers
imho
i think, i test mozilla for look difference with IE Very Happy
wistom
i dont know but i use it./
noliver
Just be careful not to be lulled into a false sense of security thinking that you can not be browserjacked just because you are using Mozilla/Firefox.

Since I have been using FireFox its had 5 security upgrades. Surely if the browser was so safe it would not need security upgrades Smile

I also agree that if the FireFox browser held 80% of the Browser Market like MSIE does- that it would get attacked more.

Cheers,
Nick.
n0obie4life
noliver wrote:

I also agree that if the FireFox browser held 80% of the Browser Market like MSIE does- that it would get attacked more.

and i will quickily change back to IE Wink
MeleceNi
Because IE can display all the web page, but other browser couldn't do it all.some page can't be displayed and some effert can't be done.
Ranfaroth
demex wrote:
The only reason that it is so "inscure" is because it holds about 89% of the market. If it was the other way around and say Firefox had 89% and IE only like 5%, then Firefox would be the one that is inscure.
Absolulty wrong.
Example : Apache holds about 65% of the market and IIS less than 30%. But IIS is more attacked and has much more security issues than Apache.

The real reasons why IE is insecure is :
→ It's closed source
→ It's too much linked with win32 OS

Alienz
Ranfaroth wrote:
demex wrote:
The only reason that it is so "inscure" is because it holds about 89% of the market. If it was the other way around and say Firefox had 89% and IE only like 5%, then Firefox would be the one that is inscure.
Absolulty wrong.
Example : Apache holds about 65% of the market and IIS less than 30%. But IIS is more attacked and has much more security issues than Apache.

The real reasons why IE is insecure is :
→ It's closed source
→ It's too much linked with win32 OS

Maybe hackers just don't like Bill Gates Wink
Ranfaroth
You didn't understand...
IIS is M$ web server.
boutolliz
can you tell me how to make this bar I am firefoxspreader but i can't make this button like you, ...
VIVA FREE'DOM !!
Ranfaroth
(I just got it from the gallery)
babumuchhala
The only reason to use Microsoft Internet Explorer is just for Windows Update.

If use IE for normal browsing by your will and for other than Windows Update then you are a CRACK
srinivasd
Use it to make your computer unusable and infected with all kinds of spyware and malware. Use Firefox instead, if you really want to use your computer for something useful;)
n0obie4life
babumuchhala wrote:
The only reason to use Microsoft Internet Explorer is just for Windows Update.

If use IE for normal browsing by your will and for other than Windows Update then you are a CRACK

yeah true Very Happy.

you can't install updates on mozilla Sad
billgertz
you have to use IE if you are visiting a site that is requiring plugins that are available for Internet explorer, else you gonna be ending up seing a horror page in front of you because of missing plugins for your browser.. I only use Mozila firebox when i visit a secured website.. because sometimes, Internet explorer is slow when surfing to a secured website because of its limited cipher strengh. i guess the only problem with the other broser is the availability of plugins..
n4g
I use IE Laughing

So, it's easy to use IE.I do not know how to use Firefox,and so on...

But IE has weak points Crying or Very sad .If IE has no problem, everyone use this.
I use IE , and I thing it is sofe.
hkhonour
i don't use ie,, because it have many bugs
Cult
I use Opera or somethimes FireFox. I use IE when I want to test my website. Good website should look good in every browser.
remik09
i use ie only when i must use becase this is one of the baddest internet viewer. I use Firefox and sometimes Opera
S3nd K3ys
demex wrote:
The only reason that it is so "inscure" is because it holds about 89% of the market. If it was the other way around and say Firefox had 89% and IE only like 5%, then Firefox would be the one that is inscure. Granted, I still think that Firefox is safer, faster, and generally better, but the insecurities found in IE are just blown way outta proportion because of its "popularity". Besides lots of newbie website designers only test their site in IE, which, uses a very weird version of html.

You're 90% WRONG on this...

The reason IE is so insecure is because of Active X, Active Scripting and it's total integration with the OS.

Not because of popularity.

You cannot, repeat CANNOT remove IE from a recent Windows OS. With this foolish approach by Micro$oft to make their browser the browser of (so called) choice, they have left an infinite number of security holes that can never be fixed, and will always be exploited.

I'm not saying that as Mozilla gains popularity that it won't be the subject of more attacks, but the vulnerabilities in Firefox are the kind that crash the browser or look at your cache. The vulnerabilities in IE are the kind that, according the Windows Update, "allow an attacker to take control over your computer". I'd rather a crashed browser than a back orifice job any day.

Dare to compare security: IE vs Firefox (the "criticality" section is the IE-killer)

Quote:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x with all vendor patches installed and all vendor workarounds applied, is currently affected by one or more Secunia advisories rated Highly critical

Quote:
Mozilla Firefox 1.x with all vendor patches installed and all vendor workarounds applied, is currently affected by one or more Secunia advisories rated Moderately critical

PS: Open-source appears to result in faster turn-around in bug fixes and security patches, at least in the browser world so far. The JS flaw was fixed within a week of its discovery by developers around the world doing it for the desire to make a good browser and not to meet a quarterly profit goal for investors and shareholders.

jczer68
Ahhhhh, I remember the first time my browser (IE) got hijacked last year. And if I remember correctly, it was a malformed url that did this... A mile long url with almost nothing but escape codes that apparently results in a hijack (maybe it's variant of a buffer overflow exploit). Anyways, this had nothing to do with ActiveX, it was just poor, sloppy design. Turning off javascript (or JScript or whatever MS calls it) or ActiveX would've done nothing to protect you in that particular case.

Poor security, poor management that made it happen and allowed it to continue, disregard for their clients & customers, and arrogance resulted in this sorry excuse for a browser along with its numerous security holes.

Just looking at and comparing the numbers/types of vulnerabilities in IE vs. the much safer Firefox on the secunia security website should convince anyone that continuing to use IE is a really bad idea. Although FF is not without its faults (and sloppy code), at least you have no shortage of options when using it and it's constantly being developed and patched.
Cameron
You could not acces alot of stuff if you didnot use IE. But i can understand why you dont.
jczer68
Personally I rarely run into sites I cannot access with Firefox... I know they're there, like Symantecs' online security tests depends on ActiveX, Windows Update, and I've heard online banking sites aren't particularly FF friendly. But for the most part everything runs just fine, and I heard that many sites that cause problems for FF can be settled just by changing Firefox's user agent to IE.... this seems to be the case often in certain countries (like Taiwan, for example) where many servers are apparently set up not to allow anything except IE to access them, but they can be tricked into doing so.

I don't plan to ever switch back to IE.
jeuxinfos
I do not use Internet Explorer. I use Deer Park (it's Firefox 1.1) !
Internet Explorer is not securised...
Hi33
Anonymous wrote:

In my opinion IE is not safe. Why? Because IE is not safe. I a recent research, most hackers will attempt to hack IE.

Why? Because it is more safer than IE and it is an OpenSource software(Mozilla Firefox).

You can also use netscape... I think netscape is just like Firefox and you also get composer
albert
Cause I'm lazy~
I don't want to d/l any other Explorer
babumuchhala
Hi33 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

You can also use netscape... I think netscape is just like Firefox and you also get composer
If all u want is a composer then u could use Mozilla Suite.

Its right Netscape is based on FF but not as secure as FF. Remember the new Netscape 8 was patched on day One itself
Deviatorz
Yes its true there are many flaws in IE, but if you are carefully enough you won't be able to have problems using IE. But it's best to switch to Firefox.
BioHaZaRD
This thread has convinced me to use FireFox. I tried to think of why I use IE most of the time, and I couldn't come up with a solid reason. The only thing I really like is the ability to edit scrollbars, which I will have to sacrifice. Cool
the666bbq
hacking IE is not just because IE presumably has more leaks. There are many other factors to take into account.

There are still more users for IE than any other browser (or viewport as called by W3C). So if you like to "hurt" people why should you spent all the time to "hurt" 10% of the visitors if you can hurt 85% for the same effort.

A second important reason is that "hackers" have a certain loyalty to everything what is open source and the hate by default all what is microsoft - therefor many of them would still hit on MS products even if no one would use it, just because they do not like to shit in their own backgarden.

a lot of pages still are not accessible with firefox or others.

Firefox has deleted my FF bookmarks without warning - from that point in time (I was a growing believer of FF) I went back with my feet to the ground and continued using both because they are both good.

Soon IE will come with his new version and than my friends FF the FF community will have less to wine about.

And last but not least : this weekend Bill gave 5 billion dollars to Live Aid/8, our governments should be doing this, so we should give Bill a sheerio for that
kingy
i had given up ie. and now i use maxthon.i feel ti very good..
scantron
From a user end standpoint, IE seems counter-intuitive navigation wise... I like the tabbed browsing of Firefox. All I know is since I started using Firefox I've had no problems with hijacks, spyware, etc. An annoying thing is how most media sites seem to be in allegiance with microsoft and certain features will only work using IE, i.e. streaming news broadcasts...
Dragonfly
I'm still using IE for testing my sites since many users and visitors to my sites are using Internet Explorer. What is perfectly normal in appearance using Firefox and other browsers might not be what it looks like in IE, for this I have been using IE together with other browsers.

In fact, IE look is good and nice, the only problem with IE is that it keeps encountering error and also security risk that involves with it.
JustChilL
well......
I think ie is safe when it comes to popup blocker......
As I am using IE for this website which has too many popups...
Ranfaroth
Firefox 1.0.5 has been released.

Spyder
Opera blows FireFox away!! Many features of FireFox came from Opera! Here's a couple tips:
Learn the mouse gestures, that speeds up your surfing experience (Where's FireFox on this?).
Remember F12 is your friend for those quick preferences and making Opera appear as IE for those pesky sites that are only viewable by Microsoft lovers (Where's FireFox on this?). Set it back to Opera when you are done so content providers will see it listed in their metrics and show there are more Opera users than what people think.
I also have "Show start-up dialog" checked under Tools - Preferences to access saved sessions or continue where I left off when I closed my browser (Where's FireFox on this?).
When I show people Opera I perform the ultimate test and open all items on a folder that contains 50+ bookmarks and watch Opera load them all up; then, I ask "When do you think IE would have puked?". I close all browser windows and look at the spectator saying, "That's It, I'm back to the beginning with a fresh browser" (I remap ctrl+shift+w to close all browser windows in Tools - Preferences - Mouse and keyboard)
Opera has come a LONG way and I would certainly say it's a browser for the true power surfer, kids can stick with IE or even ... FireFox for that matter. BTW, posted using Opera!
Ranfaroth
Spyder wrote:
Opera blows FireFox away!!
Opera is closed source.
→ Directly eliminated
Quote:
Learn the mouse gestures, that speeds up your surfing experience (Where's FireFox on this?).
I'm glad Firefox hasn't this useless feature. If you want it, add the extension
Quote:
Remember F12 is your friend for those quick preferences and making Opera appear as IE for those pesky sites that are only viewable by Microsoft lovers (Where's FireFox on this?).
I'm glad Firefox hasn't this useless feature. If you want it, add the extension.

By the way, Mozilla 1.7.10 has been released

snedan
i use both. what can i say.. ie sucks and firefox as well.. about security - almost no difference between thouse two.. You get new version of firefox every month or even twice. Why? Same reason as ie.. exploits. So it just up to you..
wistom
i use ie , but i dont know why, maybe i have to use it.
SamiTheBerber
I use Firefox, because it support W3 standard right, but IE doesn't. It is pitty that can't make good-looking pages, because most users can't see them more than pile of crap. Firefox is much lighter than IE and very easy to use. Most people think that it is only geek stuff and very hard to learn, because it is different. It is shame that some conpanies do IE-only services like my workplace homepages. If you want to update them, you must use IE, because it is ASP page and might use MS Access database. All those are Micro$oft programs and I have got enough from Micro$oft. I use now Linux and my browser is Firefox and I can feel that I'm safe ...
Defsanguje
Deviatorz wrote:
Yes its true there are many flaws in IE, but if you are carefully enough you won't be able to have problems using IE. But it's best to switch to Firefox.

Thats perfect post... I dont have anything to say anymore.
laopan
hehe, nice one alienz.
dule
i dont know any reasons to use ie exept most users are using it so most pages are tested in ie. anyway, it's better to switch to firefox.

but if firefox gets too popular, hackers will abuse exploits for firefox (there surley are, just not hacked yet). i heard micro$oft is happy because firefox is getting more popular so hackers can do something else besides waiting for just a little expoit in ie so they can hack it.
SamiTheBerber
dule wrote:
i dont know any reasons to use ie exept most users are using it so most pages are tested in ie.

The reason for that is because most of people are lazy and n00bs. They don't know anything about browsers they just use them. If they had a bit of knowledge they would chance their browsers. If you start doing homepages and you use yourself IE, you might use IE only codes and then they work only IE. It is stupid that Micro$ost included IE to Windows. It is better if you can choose your first browser in shop and get CD including that browser. If that is not so good afterward, then you can download other browser. If you use Windows then you must have IE politic sucks.

With Linux it is good that some distros of it, when you install it you can choose browsers you want to use and there is many browsers with.

People have to have had choice to choose their own browser !!!
shr3dd
i only use IE for windows updates. Firefox is my browser of choice but i still update it the second an update comes out. no browser is 100% safe and no browser is devoid of flaws. IE is as safe as firefox if you disable activeX scripts. i just enjoy all the extensions i can choose to add and the tabbed browsing is pretty useful. i almost downloaded opera because of the bittorrent client feature. but oh well i have my azureus and firefox. im happy
MeleceNi
Netscape 8.0 warns you if you come across possible spyware sites, and automatically configures its settings to help protect you.

Tabbed browsing has been expanded so you can open all of your favorite web sites in one window automatically.

New Passcard Manager remembers all your screen names and passwords and can auto-fill that information on sites.

Laughing