FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I'm forbidden from searching with Google !

mOrpheuS
Shocked
I agree I don't like google too much, but I certainly didn't deserve this.

I was trying to search for a nice imageless theme for phpbb.

This is what google gave me when I searched for "phpbb image less theme"

now I searched about this error (403 Forbidden) and found that this is what google does to certain search strings containing the keyword "phpbb" on searchbars.

As to why...I have not the slightest clue. Confused
KoDEe
Wow, that is really odd, it makes me wonder, that link did the same for me, but if i type it in the google search bar on firefox it does the search.. odd stuff man.
Bondings
Guess what, I got the same error a few days ago and didn't figure out why. (multiple word search)

This is most likely because some people are searching with automated bots for old phpbb forums in order to hack them. (some security hole)
erlendhg
It seems to me like when you go to the url

http://www.google.com/search?&q=phpbb+image+less+theme

you get the error mesage (I did too).

I don't know why, but then I tried to search for

phpbb image less theme

I got to the url

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=phpbb+image+less+theme&btnG=Google+Search

and that was working for me.
Rolz
Whoa, that's odd... at first I thought you were joking, but then I saw that the link doesn't work for me either... weird. Confused
mOrpheuS
erlendhg wrote:
I got to the url

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=phpbb+image+less+theme&btnG=Google+Search

and that was working for me.

They are probably checking for referrer info.

So Yes it does work from the google main page...but only partly.

Try this -
go to google main page ->
enter the search string "phpbb"-> (you'll get results as expected)
now try going to the next page. ->

Boom ! 403 *Get lost* Forbidden....

Bondings wrote:
This is most likely because some people are searching with automated bots for old phpbb forums in order to hack them. (some security hole)

Exactly what I think.
Because it's happening with all search strings containing the term "phpbb".
but fixing/hiding phpbb holes is phpbb's problem, not google's !

What I was shocked to see was the message they threw at me.
namely - "it appears that your computer or network has been infected...you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other spurious software"

and lastly - "hope we'll see you again on Google"
how did they know I'd switch to MSN ? Laughing

They can atleast acknowledge why they are doing this, and that (non-existent) viruses on my computer are not the only probable causes for this.
lockwolf
Thats Wiggidy Wiggidy Whack Dawg!
cnnet
I couldn't also get into GG adsence page yesterday
maybe there was something wrong withe that
mark
Wicked! I've never got this kind of message before. When I searched for it on google, it worked fine for me. When I clicked on your link, it still worked fine. Does it matter if I live in Australia?
quick_basic
I live in the US and all the links posted worked for me.
undergroundking
I live in Canada nd this is working completely fine
n0obie4life
mOrpheuS, you damn spammer.

I explained it to you on MSN.

Okay, firstly, there's a sort of worm (SANTY) using Google to exploit forums.

If you used the search bar in Opera/Firefox, it wouldn't work. You have to manually go to www.google.com to search for it, that way it'll work Wink
dysturbedstatic
its not a real google page.
google doesnt use text to write google, its lame and wastes bandwith.
lame dude, lame
Daniel15
More information on the worm can be found at http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/santy_a.shtml

Quote:
its not a real google page.
google doesnt use text to write google, its lame and wastes bandwith.
lame dude, lame

It actually is a real Google page that you get if you are forbidden from Google.

If you search from the Firefox/Opera Google search box for 'viewtopic.php', you'll see the message.
blackstripes
i hink that google is jokes. try typing the word "failure" in the search pan then click on "i'm feeling lucky"
nilsmo
Interesting, Daniel15, an old virus. We shouldn't boo Google---it's better than the other search engines. The error page seems to have been caused by some hacker outside of Google. Also, the error page looks real. Google does spell out their name with text when there are errors. Finally, the failure page is a google bomb. Some guys teamed together to increase the PageRank of Bush's biography and now it's the top result when searching for Failure.
EVILSKAAP
mUST BE SPYWARE SOMEWERE ON YOUR PC. oops. I got the same error on www.junkmail.co.za and its only from my pc that this is happening, so I did a scan with Xoftspy, but came up with zero!
So i an still trying to figure out what the problem could be
Bondings
I don't get that error anymore, and it's just an in-built mechanism of google to stop worm attacks and other automatically generated traffic.
nOScott
it would suck to get banned from google.
mOrpheuS
n0obie4life wrote:
mOrpheuS, you damn spammer.

I explained it to you on MSN.

Okay, firstly, there's a sort of worm (SANTY) using Google to exploit forums.

If you used the search bar in Opera/Firefox, it wouldn't work. You have to manually go to www.google.com to search for it, that way it'll work Wink

I know you did explain.

mOrpheuS wrote:
go to google main page ->
enter the search string
"phpbb"-> (you'll get results as expected)
now try going to the next page. ->

Boom ! 403 *Get lost* Forbidden....

But give the old man a little credit, why don't you ?
Rolling Eyes

p.s. - it's not like I dismiss everything you say Wink

edit - it seems to be working now.
AND WE KNOW THAT
susanna mayfair
Quote:
Bush's biography and now it's the top result when searching for Failure.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I am so not surprised! (I know this is off topic and I avidly try to avoid political discussions but this was just too priceless not to laugh!)

Bush = failure is almost as common sense as pancakes=syrup or oreos = milk. They just GO together!
Devil
Google doesnt want to become like altavista ,

u can get into any pag using google , only crackers know it better , google is very helpfull in hacking ,

so i think google is trying to protect this from happeneing ,

Anyway i hate google too Rolling Eyes
QwertyManiac
Yes it comes for me also when i search a highly complicated number cum string... Sad
mustaq
it happen when you run your antivirus in your sytem same time you try for google search , so when your using google don't run your anti virus i mean dont search for virus
hofer
You're infected with a program that is doing multiple searchs in google, try to run a antivirus software.
thetommyzone
I didn't now Google is blocking users now too!
vignesh_natraj
i did not get any errors.Also i can find somethig from the imaga you posted look at the Google logo it is no three dimensional.
sibbahz
Links now working fine for me, although i have had this error before, trying to access the firefox google search start page.
mastertork
Wow dude, thats the first time I've ever seen anything like that before.

I'm gonna try to see if I can get the forbidden message.

That would make a cool wallpaper wouldn't it.

Kinda funny isn't it.
luis123456,webspace4free.
To me never I pass that to me with google, will be so that alive in Argentina? Laughing Laughing Laughing
redbomber
Wow that is really bizzare. I haven't seen anything like that on google before as the site is usually pretty stable.
ddukki
That's the weirdest thing I've ever seen. It looks like something something made in notepad in about a minute. I guess the guys at Google got lazy, or have a weird sense of humor.
Billwaa
well, I guess I am lucky, I didn't get the error warning