FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Change partitions on USB drive

steveadams617
I have a flash USB drive 128 meg. It's partitioned so I can only see 50 megs of it when I open it with windows 2000. Anyone know of any tools I could use to remove the other partitions and make it one big drive again? I don't think I can get to it from DOS, but I can't even find fdisk on windows 2000.

Thanks
Steve
hack_man_
What did you use to partition it in the first place?

Try using that to bring the different partitions back together again.

I am not much in the know about partions on USB drives but i would think that it would work similar to a hard disk.

Did you partition it or did Windows say that the drive is only 50MB when you know that it is 128MB? I sometimes use my USB flash disk on the old Windows 2000 PCs at my college and have problems. I think Windows 2000 was one of those 'trouble' OSs when it comes to USB, no idea why though
steveadams617
A linux install script took over the drive, partitioned it and filled it with data. I'm not a linux person and I can't figure out the right commands to reverse it...

Thanks.
hack_man_
steveadams617 wrote:
A linux install script took over the drive, partitioned it and filled it with data. I'm not a linux person and I can't figure out the right commands to reverse it...

Thanks.

Glad to be of use, shame that I am not able to apply my knowledge of windows to help you out further.. Which Linux script made the partition? Try using the drive on a Linux machine and see what comes up.

I don't know much about Linux but the 2 different file systems on the same drive would cause unwritable data on the drive that would not be recognised, or even readable by Windows. Windows would think that because there is an amount of unreadable (a.k.a. corrupt to window's eyes) data that it can't use or access, it would think that the data is either boot data, a partition or simply corrupt data. I think opening the drive on a Linux machine and deleting the data that uses the Linux flie system or 'The files viewable in the drive on a Linux machine' would clear up more room on the drive.
longjack
steveadams617 wrote:
I have a flash USB drive 128 meg. It's partitioned so I can only see 50 megs of it when I open it with windows 2000. Anyone know of any tools I could use to remove the other partitions and make it one big drive again? I don't think I can get to it from DOS, but I can't even find fdisk on windows 2000.

Thanks
Steve

Do you have access to a Mac OS X machine ?

Attach the USB drive and use the /Utilities/Disk Utility.app to erase the drive. It is quite easy to use.

After you erase it you can make one big DOS partition or just leave it alone. The next time you put it in a Windows machine, windows will ask if you want to format it.

longjack
steveadams617
I finally managed to figure out that in order to use fdisk in Linux that I needed to be logged in as an administrator. Couldn't figure out how to switch users, but did figure out how to add "sudo" in front of the "fdisk /dev/sda" command to give me temporary root privilidges. I was then able to blow away the extra partitions and resize the main one back to 128 Megs.

Okay to close this thread.
pudovkin
I never imagined this possibility: make partitions in a 128MB USB drive. Smile
grantmaster
Linux gets us back to the good ol days

when anything was possible...

not just what Micro$oft wanted to shove down our throats
hack_man_
grantmaster wrote:
Linux gets us back to the good ol days

when anything was possible...

not just what Micro$oft wanted to shove down our throats