FRIHOST Х FORUMS Х SEARCH Х FAQ Х TOS Х BLOGS Х COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


What Punk Rock realy is?





Lanochka-ru
Now there' a lot of band's that coul them selfs Punk-Rock bands.
But a lot of them at real are just Punk's or even Pop-Punks.

So what is Punk Rock as it is? What bands are real Punk-Rokers?
And What doyou think about this music style at all?
Yantaal
The first band that comes to mind when you say Punk Rock is
"Bad Religion"
They are absolutley awesome, i have sene them live and my god they kick arse. Try them out.
Lanochka-ru
I heard about them, but never listend...What song's are the best to your minde?
And I realy like sadPunk-Rock songs like Good Charlotte - Emotionless or SR-71 - Alive.
riv_
I think punk is an attitude more than a sound.
THe classic bands tend to have obscure references to cool stuff, and don't take them selves too seriously.
Any band that says, "it's all about the music" isn't punk. Period.
Bad Religion is good, I like them.
But I can think of some distinctly un-punk-sounding bands that are SO PUNK!!!!
Caxius
punk rock? billy talent Razz
acamas
I reckon Greenday is Punk Rock well most of their songs are. Btw they kickass!!! Go greenday. Sorry I had to let that out. Punk Rock

Quote:
rock music with deliberately offensive lyrics expressing anger and social alienation; in part a reaction against progressive rock


So punk music is mainly rebelling against someone or something ussually.
bjwok
you cannot enter a discussion on 'what is punk' without mentioning FUGAZI

go hunt down '13 Songs'

Fugazi are everything the punk movement stands for, end of story.
Yantaal
good charlotte are not punk my friend
blackheart
Lanochka-ru wrote:
Now there' a lot of band's that coul them selfs Punk-Rock bands.
But a lot of them at real are just Punk's or even Pop-Punks.

So what is Punk Rock as it is? What bands are real Punk-Rokers?
And What doyou think about this music style at all?


Any band that describes themselves as punk isn't punk. (In general, ther are tiny exceptions).

I mostly listen to punk/rock/etc style music - so here's a list I put together for another site recently:

Backyard Babies
The Damned
Slumlords
Against All Authority
Common Rider
House of Large Sizes
Hilltop Hoods
Gob
Hot Water Music
NOFX
Electric Six
CKY
Rancid
UK Subs
Sham 69
Dropkick Murphys
Soviettes
Ramones
Streetlight Manifesto
Stooges
Ruby's Grace
Sahara Hotnights
The Velvet Underground
TSOL
Op. Ivy
Anti-Flag
Fugazi
Led Zepplin
4 Skins
The Clash
The Sonics
International Noise Conspiracy
Joan Jett
(Blackhearts)
The God Awfuls
D.O.A.
INXS
Randy
Goldfinger
Misfits
Rezillos
Johnny Diesel and the Injectors
Violent Femmes
Guns'n'Roses
Lemon Heads
Sublime
Left-over Crack
The Living End
Black-Flag
Bikini Kill
Dead Kennedy's
Jimi Hendrix
R.E.M.
Dirt Bike Annie
Go Betty Go
Goldfinger
New York Dolls
Sex Pistols
The Makers
Marky Ramone and the Intruders
Smiths
Minor Threat
Queen
Buzzcocks
Sweet
Faith No More
Gun Club
The B-52's
AC/DC
Nirvana
U.S. Bombs (and not the Hunns)
Reel Big Fish
Cold Chisel
Donnas
Sting
Stiff Little Fingers
Ringers
Oxymoron
Guttermouth
Lars Fredricksen and the bastards
Beatsteaks
The Dollyrots
X-Ray Spex
The Pandoras
Marky Ramone and the Speed Kings
Youth Brigade
Screeching Weasle
The Ex

(some are just plain rock, but all are good)
blackheart
acamas wrote:
I reckon Greenday is Punk Rock well most of their songs are. Btw they kickass!!! Go greenday. Sorry I had to let that out. Punk Rock

Quote:
rock music with deliberately offensive lyrics expressing anger and social alienation; in part a reaction against progressive rock


So punk music is mainly rebelling against someone or something ussually.


Not their new stuff.
Yantaal
blackheart wrote:
acamas wrote:
I reckon Greenday is Punk Rock well most of their songs are. Btw they kickass!!! Go greenday. Sorry I had to let that out. Punk Rock

Quote:
rock music with deliberately offensive lyrics expressing anger and social alienation; in part a reaction against progressive rock


So punk music is mainly rebelling against someone or something ussually.


Not their new stuff.



Greenday USED to be good, but then they sold out, now they are POP PUNK. and have failed. to call them punk rock is giving them to much credit, also, punk is not about rebelling against society, punk is simply about the music.there are so mnay punk bands with songs that are are simply abou t relitivly nice things, but mainly punk is expressing you ropinions, people always assume, that because it is loud and usualy sweary and lary people assume thatthey are rebeling agaisnt the world.
blackheart
bjwok wrote:
you cannot enter a discussion on 'what is punk' without mentioning FUGAZI

go hunt down '13 Songs'

Fugazi are everything the punk movement stands for, end of story.


Straight-edge, all-age concerts... if only I were in the right place at the right time...
Lorelay
Yantaal wrote:
Greenday USED to be good, but then they sold out, now they are POP PUNK. and have failed. to call them punk rock is giving them to much credit, also, punk is not about rebelling against society, punk is simply about the music.there are so mnay punk bands with songs that are are simply abou t relitivly nice things, but mainly punk is expressing you ropinions, people always assume, that because it is loud and usualy sweary and lary people assume thatthey are rebeling agaisnt the world.

I'm totally agree with you!
But I think people don't anderstand now what is Punk Rock at all! They see some band, read that this bands mucis Punk Rock on the cover and they think that this is the real Punk Rock, when it's not! Greenday are awsem, but where are such alboums like Nimrod? They are totally Pop Punk now.
bjwok
greenday are not punk, sorry kiddies
varoskater
hahahaha thats right... and not to mention godd charlote, they are worse than the backstreetboys!!
Marston
blackheart wrote:
bjwok wrote:
you cannot enter a discussion on 'what is punk' without mentioning FUGAZI

go hunt down '13 Songs'

Fugazi are everything the punk movement stands for, end of story.


Straight-edge, all-age concerts... if only I were in the right place at the right time...
X X X

I think that's a pretty cool article about the whole "X" thing in Straight Edge subculture.

Anyways, I dunno if you can really define Punk Rock in words. I mean, it's so many things to so many different people... Wink
alex_ru
I think first bands playing punk rock been sex pistols.dead kennedies.ramones and the exploited(perphaps they very agressive for punks sory for my english Smile ѕо-русски попроще как то писать Wink
Konfunderad
Punk rock. All bands that just play their music, don't do it for the fame or the money and play something that is similar to the early punkmusic is punk rock.

So, I don't think that bands like Green Day is punk because they're too mainstream.
Bernard
Punk rock? It's disguised pop for the new generations of the 90's. Is really youngs from the 00's (I didn't wrote old youngs) still fall into the trick?? Razz

Perhaps new generation of the 00's fall instead into the "new rock" which rock mutated into pop. Very Happy

To come back to Punk rock, the explanation is just because the bands couldn't accept the image suggested by Punk Pop that they was/are really so they go for Punk Rock.

Note that late USA punk isn't named Punk Rock except when they are Punk Pop. I wrote "late" in comparison to Brit Punk, yes I know first one was USA and much sooner.
Marston
Bernard wrote:
Punk rock? It's disguised pop for the new generations of the 90's. Is really youngs from the 00's (I didn't wrote old youngs) still fall into the trick?? Razz

Perhaps new generation of the 00's fall instead into the "new rock" which rock mutated into pop. Very Happy

To come back to Punk rock, the explanation is just because the bands couldn't accept the image suggested by Punk Pop that they was/are really so they go for Punk Rock.

Note that late USA punk isn't named Punk Rock except when they are Punk Pop. I wrote "late" in comparison to Brit Punk, yes I know first one was USA and much sooner.
Neutral
meaniegeanies
I believe that Punk roots can be traced back in the 60's when it was the first time you can see the term written on those Garage vinyls. This culture afterwards was revived in England by Sex Pistols.
Bernard
meaniegeanies wrote:
I believe that Punk roots can be traced back in the 60's when it was the first time you can see the term written on those Garage vinyls. This culture afterwards was revived in England by Sex Pistols.


The musical roots of British Punk could be more US bands from end of 60' to begining of 70's, MC5, The Stooges, The Velvet Underground, New York Dolls.

And perhaps musical roots of those bands was those garage band of the 60's you mention. But those has probably some other roots.

Also I feel that speaking of culture revival is a little strange. It never really birth/die or exists there's no sudden break, the only break is that it sudenly become very popular with British Punk. Well that's how I feel it.
Bernard
Yantaal wrote:
...punk is not about rebelling against society, punk is simply about the music...

There isn't only one Punk. For English Punk at first it was clearly against musical establishement, both:
- I can do music even if I don't play well guitar or if I don't sing well.
- Simplicity/basic/violence all of that agaisnt sophistication and extreme polishement of the established music.

In fact soon it became a sort of social revolt, the famous "No Future". But the true agressive social engagement has been done only later and only by some bands.

Most punk bands was enough smart to see clearly saw they was going nowhere musically. And British Punk died quite quickly, at the begining of the 80's it was already burried in england when at same time it (re)started underground and in different forms in the USA to result in "modern punk" but that's a totally different story.
Related topics
New Metal, Metal and Punk Rock, anyone like?
Me, myself and I =)
The best Punk-Rock group?
Top 10 WORST rock bands
Does anyone like punk?
Pop-punk, the worst thing to happen to music in loooong time
What's your favorites rock music group?
Punk,skinhead,emo jokes
Punk
ROCK MUSIC
History of Punk Rock (page im working on)
Which Punk bands do you like the most?
PUNK ROCK
Any metal or punk fans?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Music

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.