FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does nobody here make the games?

Trigonous
I've looked around the forums a bit, and there arnet any topics here about games you've made! Am I the only one who makes games?
jeffleo
You might be. Most of us just play games and discuss about games. You wanna share with us some games you've made?
Trigonous
Meh, I haven't finished the one I am working on yet. I probobly won't for a while 'cause of the holidays.
Rolz
No, you're not the only one. I've made some "games" when I found an old game maker software thingy (Klik & Play) on my CD shelf. It was good to waste time with, but all of the games I made suck.
Trigonous
Heh, the only ones I have made that don't suck I never finished. Laughing

But the one I'm making right now features the Mega Man characters (cause I'm too lazy to make my own graphics) in an all out battle. Won't be done until next year though.
erlendhg
I've made some tiny crazy games with GameMaker when I was younger.
I think its a good programs for people who is not experts in programming

You can find the program here:

http://www.gamemaker.nl/
doug hines
I'm not a programmer, but I am a game artist. Not only have I made mods, but I am working on a roughly 10 minute animated 3D CG short film about games. I do low poly and high poly modeling, character rigging, and animation. I try to stay away from texturing as much as possible because 1) i suck at it and 2)i suck at it/hate it.

I have created an RTS mod (torque), a FPS mod (HL2), and have done a few educational experiments with online worlds using FPS engines (DoomIII).

No, you're not the only game designer/artist/programmer/level designer on the forums.
votd
Yes, sometimes I'm playing with RPG Maker (it's not important wheter it's XP or 2003), this is my hobby after all, but I'm not doing it lately, because it needs much work to make a good game without using an RTP.
trickstott
I make games. I made a 2d game using the 2d Scrolling Game Development kit on Sourceforge. (Don't use it!) I did enjoy using Klik N Play when I used it a few years back, and it is even free now. (Just Google it.)

I've worked on mods for UT2004 and Doom 3, but none of them have reached any kind of release build. I have some levels available for download on my website if you want to check it out through my profile.

I'm actually interviewing with game companies right now for a Level Design or Associate Producer position. If something cool happens, I'll post it here. It seems relevant to the topic.

Oh, pick up Maya PLE or GMAX by getting their free downloads. They are incredibly useful tools for mod making, and a heck of a lot of fun to use.
Josso
I am slightly in the process of making an old skool text based adventure with Basic. Getting really laggy with all the items and stuff though... probably to many gosubs. I know how to fix it but I just have too much to do right now to finish it.
Kelcey
yeah, I've worked on some minor things in OpenGL and Allegro for C++.
Monkeydog
I use RM2K/2K3...years now...I <3 mapping.
yjwong
I think GameMaker is the best tool for making 2D games...but one thing I hate is the GameMaker Script....Pretty hard to learn....for me maybe...
ahmad`
ithink to be agood game programer u must learn c++ and 3d max
doug hines
ahmad` wrote:
ithink to be agood game programer u must learn c++ and 3d max

you do not have to learn an art program to be a good programmer.
admittedly, it helps to know something about the 3D packages that are used in the industry so that you know the limitations of artists, but like-wise the artists need to know what limitations the programmers have so that they can compensate.

to be a asset to any game making program, it is a good idea to know at least a little bit about each section: level design/layout, programming, art
afux
lol
i am only playing games, i am not creating them, but u made me get interested in it
can somebody list some programms i can learn programming games with?
thanks Razz Razz
doug hines
afux wrote:
lol
i am only playing games, i am not creating them, but u made me get interested in it
can somebody list some programms i can learn programming games with?
thanks Razz Razz

c++ is going to be the programming language you want to learn

for graphics i recommend:
3D Studio Max 6 or above/ Maya 6 or above
ZBrush
Photoshop
Billwaa
Sorry to disappoint you, I make games too. And I am not that bad at it
doug hines
Billwaa wrote:

what do you do? design? code? art?
im guessing art
RobertDocherty
I know bits of C++ and can made some quite nice objects in 3D's max then export them then use them in C++, I only know quite basic stuff, I know how to make console programs and I know C#.
fecophobia
I have made a few flash games.. the one game i made Michael Jackson Baby Drop got me a lot of exposure.
jaminx
I'm a Game Producer and Designer... This is our latest:

Dangerous Waters

We also created 688(i) Hunter/Killer [1997], Fleet Command [1999], and Sub Command [2001] which were all published by Electronic Arts...

Certainly not the most glamorous games, but hundreds of thousands of people seem to like them... Wink

I am interested in seeing how FriHost works and would love to try a free account if the mods/admins feel I would be a good candidate Smile
djared90
doug hines wrote:
I'm not a programmer, but I am a game artist.

Well, that means you're about the exact opposite of me. I love programming in just about any language, especially C++, but I can't make graphics at all: whether they're 2D images or 3D models, they suck. So I usually resort to taking the graphics I use from somewhere else or having somebody else make them for me.
doug hines
game question:

who owns the rights to the Metroid Prime sequels?
Nintendo or someone else?
Tilly
I'm a game artist, though I haven't done anything in a while. I am responsible for the lettering texture work for ESPN NHL 2k4, and if you know who you're looking for, you can assemble my name and facial features in our Create A Player.

My suggestions for aspiring game artists is much the same as trickstott's:

Photoshop - Learn all the keyboard commands you can. In a production environment, keyboard commands = speed, speed = ability to meet deadlines.
Maya PLE - Maya is becoming more and more the 3D modeling and animation program preferred by production environments. The Personal Learning Edition will help you get used to its interface.
GMAX - GMAX is another 3D modeling and animation program used by production environments. It's basically a free version of 3D Studio MAX, which is known for it's flexible plugin environment.

Those three tools are probably the most essential programs to learn. And while game consoles and PC games are using higher and higher polygon counts on their models, you'll want to learn how to create low poly models, with character models in the 1000 polygon range. (Textures should be done in UVW Unwrap, on a single 128x128 texture file.) This is because companies will ask for your wireframes to check your efficiency, and many artists can easily pick apart a 3d image to give a rough estimate on how many polygons were used...even more can tell when polygons aren't being used efficiently.
Billwaa
doug hines wrote:
Billwaa wrote:

what do you do? design? code? art?
im guessing art

design, code, art, and music all of them
DX-Blog
I program, not truly make games. Have been part of several projects in which it was attempted to do, but in general that didn't work out due to ppl losing interest the moment the realise how long it takes to create something.

At the moment I'm just improving my skills, learning to do things more in the 3D development. The basics just aren't that interesting anymore. Perhaps in the future I will be working along on a project again, who knows Smile.
Scott
I used to really be into game design and programming , I'm a lot more into music now though. One project I ran was teh Super Mario RPG 2 project, it never got finished, but it was cool.
DX-Blog
Scott wrote:
I used to really be into game design and programming , I'm a lot more into music now though. One project I ran was teh Super Mario RPG 2 project, it never got finished, but it was cool.

Hehe, mario is always cool to play around with. Several years ago together with a friend we created a 3D mario fighting "game" Razz. In which 2 players could fight eachother, one as luigi, one as mario Razz. Was somewhat funny Razz.
Monkeydog
doug hines wrote:
game question:

who owns the rights to the Metroid Prime sequels?
Nintendo or someone else?

Nintendo, I'm like 100% sure.

Usually you can make a fan game without any legal problems, except there seems to be a big thing with Chrono Trigger. Anyone who touches that is attacked by square... v_v
Stella Vibes
I've only done 2d games
Role Playing games and Side scrolling. my side scrolling games sucked.
But i still have a left over demo of my 2d rpg game
which was actually pretty good. just never completed, I want to switch it over to 3d
d722002
I must say, You arent alone, dude. I make games myself, visit www.phantomware.tk to get some of them.
Yjaxygames
I make games with gamemaker. You can find my games at www.y-games.tk
And GML isn't really hard to learn.
Tomppe
I have done a game. The idea with the game was to guess words Smile Easy words like cow, sheep and dog. Most boring game that i never played but the point was that i made the game by my self..
Tempest
im a game maker i am using a 3d graphics engine called Truevision3D im currently programming in C++ we are working on a free FPS shooter called Tears of blod we will make a follower that will be comercial too Very Happy

btw i model high and low poly (in 3dsmax) but i suck a texturing i cant realy get a feel of it.....