FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

California Students Sue Over Cheap Tuition For Illegals

S3nd K3ys
About damn time.

abclocal.go.com wrote:

University Of California Under Fire
Lawsuit Says Illegal Immigrants Get Unfair Advantage

Dec. 14 - A lawsuit was filed Wednesday that aims to change the way the state of California charges out of state students to attend college. It claims that illegal immigrants pay less for a state education than out-of-state citizens.

U.C. Davis student Chaning Jang has had it.

The Hawaiian native is tired of paying $20,000 dollars more in out-of-state tuition than undocumented immigrant students pay. Those immigrants pay the same as Californians.

Chaning Jang, UC Davis student: "It's pretty ridiculous how much more we pay, considering they're giving these kinds of tuition kickbacks to illegal immigrants that aren't even going to get to work here after they're done with college."

Jang is one of some 60,000 students represented in a class-action lawsuit filed today. They claim the tuition difference is unfair and even discriminatory.

Kris Kobach, students' attorney: "California taxpayers right now are providing subsidy in excess of $50 million dollars a year to provide for the in-state tuition for illegal aliens."

Three years ago, California was one of the first states that granted in-state tuition to undocumented immigrants, as along as they met residency and graduation requirements.

Jeannette Zanipatin, California Immigrant Welfare Collaborative: "These are students, like I said, who have lived here for three years, have graduated from a high school and but for the tuition would not be able to continue their education."

The lawsuit upset many Latino students throughout U.C., Cal State and community college campuses.

Francisco Tostado is a U.S. citizen, but his three college siblings are not.

Francisco Tostado, college student: "I think it's anti-immigrant. I don't think it's fair for our students who, all they want to do is get a better education and become a better person."

Assm. Ray Haynes, (R) Murrieta: "It's not anti-immigrant. It is saying treat U.S. citizens like you treat illegal aliens."

Jang and his fellow students want the law changed and a refund.

Chaning Jang, UC Davis student: "Hopefully we'll get some of our tuition back because it's really unjust."

Link ...

The very idea that illegal aliens are treated better than American citizens is disgusting. I'm sick to death of ILLEGALS getting preferential treatment and citizens of this country being treated second class.

Would it kill them to get a ****** visa?
i_am_mine
Hope you're not saying that with a rascist point of view, but damned right, you can't actually penalise your own citizens (thats what it is).Whats the point of being a citizen ( or a legal immigrant ) when an illegal immigrant gets benefits - that too payed by you from your own taxes.
But the problem goes further than that, leave these people uneducated and you'll find that they provide cheaper labour (because you don't have to pay them legal wages) than citizens and legal resident/immigrants, which in turn means that these illegal immigrants get hired and citizens/residents are left angry ( often leading to racial tension and violence ).
The only option is to educate them, which isnt possible unless you assist them.
So you have to choose between the lesser of two evils.
Personally I'd say it'd be better to educate them, atleast you wont be punishing innocent local labour that works to put bread on the table,ofcourse punishing other tax payers is bad, but its better than making it worse for the low-salary income groups.
LumberJack
They have schools in Southern USA???? Who would have thought it!!! Razz

But seriously, if you don't want them there, why are you admitting them in the first place.
i_am_mine
lol.
well its a bit more complicated than that.you don't actually allow them there, they're illegal, cross over the border without getting caught, and you can't send them all back ( thousands cross over ), and come amount of truth lies in that a lot companies and corporations prefer to have them since they're cheap labor.
S3nd K3ys
i_am_mine wrote:
Hope you're not saying that with a rascist point of view, ...

Ahh, geez. Why do you have to bring up the race card? Rolling Eyes
S3nd K3ys
i_am_mine wrote:
lol.
well its a bit more complicated than that.you don't actually allow them there, they're illegal, cross over the border without getting caught, and you can't send them all back ( thousands cross over ), and come amount of truth lies in that a lot companies and corporations prefer to have them since they're cheap labor.

It's even deeper than that, and you're on the wrong foot there anyway. (But it's nice to see we might just agree on something...) Illegals working at companies pay taxes. Income and Social Security. That's one of the few benes. But it's far outweighed by the bad aspects.

More later. A lot more.
LumberJack
S3nd K3ys wrote:
i_am_mine wrote:
lol.

It's even deeper than that, and you're on the wrong foot there anyway. (But it's nice to see we might just agree on something...) Illegals working at companies pay taxes. Income and Social Security. That's one of the few benes. But it's far outweighed by the bad aspects.

More later. A lot more.

I am actually curious about this (being a university student myself), why are you admitting them if they are not legal? Do you not have seperate designations for international students and domestic students?
gonzo
So if I renounce my citizenship, but fail to leave the country, I can get cheaper tuition?

sweet