FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

anyone like post-rock?

usuallyjustatshirt
anyone like godspeed you black emporor, sigur ros, mew or low?
SunburnedCactus
Yeah, Godspeed are pretty darned good. Also Mogwai.
icugaming
GY!BE is amazing. I'm really hoping for a new release soon. Explosions in the Sky are also great, Sigur Ros is excellent. Mono is really good, too, I hear.

This music will enlighten you people. It will make you see the folly in listening to Green Day and shit like that.

Quote:
The government is corrupt
And we're all on so many drugs with the radio on and the curtains drawn

That's a genius line. The government is corrupt, all are ALWAYS corrupt, and we can see this everyday.
LA Ridge
I have just never really established such a thing as "Post-Rock" Can you tell me what it means? It's not rock, it's after rock? What? Post would be after, but to me it's just Rock... Too many genre's spoil the soup I think. All those bands you mention sound like just Rock generally, don't they?

I am totally interested in having "Post-Rock" explained to me. I am not being a smartalec either, I am just really curious.
GTA
Who are they at all I haven't listen about them never !
icugaming
I suppose a better term would be "neo-classical."

These bands are what Mozart and Beethoven would be composing now. Brilliant melodies and counter melodies that you would normally hear on violins, on guitars. Many of them nowadays feature brass ensembles... they rely on guitar effects and ambient sounds to give life to the music. Generally, a post-rock band will compose an hour to hour and a half long album and break it up into 3 to 5 parts... I would search wikipedia for a good definition of post-rock, that site seems to have a lot of good information.
LA Ridge
icugaming wrote:
I suppose a better term would be "neo-classical."

These bands are what Mozart and Beethoven would be composing now. Brilliant melodies and counter melodies that you would normally hear on violins, on guitars. Many of them nowadays feature brass ensembles... they rely on guitar effects and ambient sounds to give life to the music. Generally, a post-rock band will compose an hour to hour and a half long album and break it up into 3 to 5 parts... I would search wikipedia for a good definition of post-rock, that site seems to have a lot of good information.

Excellent reply! That makes total sense. I work in the music business, at least the Internet Music Business... As it stands, and I am just baffled by all the genre labels. I am from a rather "old school" I suppose. In my day there were some very basic genre classifications, then they started with breaking them up i.e. Rock and Roll into Hard Rock, Acid Rock, etc. Mostly the Rock genre has taken the biggest hit. It seems everybody is just not satisfied with being a rocker. Searching constantly for an identity, and sometimes just plain old making things up! I'm glad you were clear, and what you said made sense. Neo-Classical sounds better to me than "Post Rock." It's as if Rock and Roll is a dirty word... Laughing

Oh, and that banner on your signature bar is rather unnerving Shocked

I know that all of that stuff is a given, it still freaks me out though...
icugaming
The signature is busted... -4785 meters haha.

But it's incredible stuff, some of it is getting big too. Sigur Ros and Explosions in the Sky are huge right now, globally.
usuallyjustatshirt
its refreshing to hear that other people like 'post-rock' whatever that may be.
for fans of the bands like mogwai, godspeed, sigur ross etc u really should check out Souls Vibrating In The Universe at http://www.svitu.co.uk/

they are gonna be big a recent reviews have said their music is what radiohead should be doing now

let me know what u think
dacode
Hello,

I first heard of Post-Rock in 90's with a band (that I worship) called SLINT.
They released "Spiderland", and that was it : lengthy songs (although not quite as long as the GYBE ones) with more than sad and depressed lyrics, and sudden/sharp explosions of guitars/cymbals.

Today GYBE leads the way along with many constellation combos/side projects, and mogwai.

One may be interested by another great band called "From Monument To Masses".

http://www.monument-masses.com/
April_May
Godspeed is pretty good.
anxiety1
yeh i like this sort of music for just chilling out!
UBOSiege
whoa...this sounds kinda cool.
I think I'm going to be checking some of this stuff out as soon as I get home.

Any recommendations for who I should check out first?!
yokyok
i have no idea what that is! Smile
Zibé
I don't think if the bands I will quote can be considered as
post-rock... they are also considered as melodic post-HxC :
Cult of luna, neurosis, isis, pelican.

I also know a french band who plays post-rock ( i think ) : Nihil,
their last album "pandora's box" is awesome !!!
Ioana
I heard some but ditn't like it.