FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Whats the best video card for...

NuniPio
decided i would upgrade my gfx card..current sys specs are:

MSI K8N NEO2 mobo
AMD64 3500+ 939socket
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM
120GB SATA HDD
500w PSU

any suggestions for a video card? im on a $300 budget. thanks
Boles Roor
On a $300 budget this is for sure the best bang for the buck:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130256

If you got a little more to spend, pop this on it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186133

Allowes you overclock the card a fair bit more.
Josso
ASD or PCI-E type motherboard?

It annoys me that ASD is better but no new graphic cards support them... anyway you're probably pretty good off with the Radeon X800 XT if you've got an ASD.
Naif
Boles Roor wrote:

I dont think the 7800GT is available in an AGP package. The K8N NEO2 is an AGP 8x motherboard. The best buy for you would be an Nvidia 6800GT 128 MB. It should cost you somewhere around 280 USD, give or take. You'll have to convert that to AUD.
Boles Roor
Naif wrote:
Boles Roor wrote:

I dont think the 7800GT is available in an AGP package. The K8N NEO2 is an AGP 8x motherboard. The best buy for you would be an Nvidia 6800GT 128 MB. It should cost you somewhere around 280 USD, give or take. You'll have to convert that to AUD.

Ah, never saw a 939 AGP MoBo. So I assumed it was a PCIe. Sorry for that.
NuniPio
Naif wrote:
Boles Roor wrote:

ye im on a $300AUD budget..thanks for the suggestion..any other agp cards?
NuniPio
hmm...should i just upgrade my mobo too?? as i see pci-e cards are cheaper than agp.. ive had a look at gigabyte boards..but now im not sure if i should get sli or just pci-e...does sli make that much of a difference?
Natrualkiller
if its agp nvidia 6800 if its pci-e go 7800
Naif
NuniPio wrote:
hmm...should i just upgrade my mobo too?? as i see pci-e cards are cheaper than agp.. ive had a look at gigabyte boards..but now im not sure if i should get sli or just pci-e...does sli make that much of a difference?

SLI is a technology using which a motherboard can use the processing power of two graphic cards at the same time. You cant run a single card under SLI mode. Indeed PCIE cards are cheaper as compared to their AGP counterparts and they have a better performance than AGP cards(because AGP cards run at maximum 8x where as PCIE cards run at 16x speeds). If you can afford to buy a new mobo, buy one which has support for SLI. And buy a card which is SLI compatible so that later you will have an option of buying another card of the same type to run both in SLI mode. You might want to consider buying the Asus A8N-SLI mobo if you can afford it.

By the way, its important you know that not all games take the advantage of the SLI technology.
comp615
I'd say you should 100% get a PCI-E mobo. In the long run it will be better since PCI-E will eventually overcome AGP by a lot. And of course with that get a pci-e video card. I love ATI but I have to say at the moment I'd agree with the NVIDIA 7800, they seem to be good.

Also, if you get a system that supports SLI (see above), then you can simply add another card later t ogain better performence. Good luck and let us know your final choice!
dcshoes23
I've read that it doesn't really make a difference right now between agp 8x and PCI-E because current videocards don't even fully use agp 8x bandwidth so there is virtually no difference. I'd say get a 6600gt, they're a really good bang for the buck and come in agp 8x
comp615
Thats not the point though, I admit they are the same at the moment, however when you go to upgrade in 2 years. You won't be stuck at the performence level your at now. Dual core video cards will be out soon and that next gen level will darn near give agp a run for its money.
NuniPio
Naif wrote:
NuniPio wrote:

SLI is a technology using which a motherboard can use the processing power of two graphic cards at the same time. You cant run a single card under SLI mode. Indeed PCIE cards are cheaper as compared to their AGP counterparts and they have a better performance than AGP cards(because AGP cards run at maximum 8x where as PCIE cards run at 16x speeds). If you can afford to buy a new mobo, buy one which has support for SLI. And buy a card which is SLI compatible so that later you will have an option of buying another card of the same type to run both in SLI mode. You might want to consider buying the Asus A8N-SLI mobo if you can afford it.

By the way, its important you know that not all games take the advantage of the SLI technology.

thanks for that..i think ill just get a pci-e without sli..since im not that much of a gamer..and also coz im low on cash. ive been looking at the x800gt..any comments on this card? ohh and the mobo in mind is the gigabyte GA-K8NF-9. thanks for all tha replies so far..keep em up Wink
dcshoes23
comp615 wrote:
Thats not the point though, I admit they are the same at the moment, however when you go to upgrade in 2 years. You won't be stuck at the performence level your at now. Dual core video cards will be out soon and that next gen level will darn near give agp a run for its money.

And then they'll have a whole new processor which uses a different socket type (i believe i heard somewhere that AMD will no longer use the Socket 939 for their newer processors) and will have to buy a new motherboard anyways. That's why I'm saying for him/her to get an AGP card so they can save cash by not having to buy a new motherboard.
NuniPio
dcshoes23 wrote:
comp615 wrote:

And then they'll have a whole new processor which uses a different socket type (i believe i heard somewhere that AMD will no longer use the Socket 939 for their newer processors) and will have to buy a new motherboard anyways. That's why I'm saying for him/her to get an AGP card so they can save cash by not having to buy a new motherboard.

yea..i think you're right..ill get an agp card and that way i can save about $150 from having to buy a new mobo..and upgrade a few years later to pci-e i should be getting the x800 agp card on monday..ill let you know wen i get it. and thanks for all the help..really appreciate it Smile
NuniPio
sorry this is a late reply..but i purchased the x800 agp Dancing and it performs bettah than my expectations..thanks to everybody for their help..really appreciate it Angel