FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Puzzles!

Daniel15
Here's some puzzles that my Algebra teacher gave us on the last day of school... I've got 24 in total, and I'll post them a few at a time. If I get a few guesses, but don't get the correct answers, I'll post the answer, and some more puzzles...

OK! Let's start!

1. An electric train is travelling west at 60km/h. The wind is blowing in an easterly direction at 40km/h. Which direction will the smoke from the engine go?
  2. If a plane crashes on the Victoria/New South Wales border, where would the survivors be buried?
  3. If you only had one match and entered a room with a kerosene lamp, an oil heater and a wood burning stove, which would you light first?
  4. How much dirt is there in a hole 1m deep, 1.2m wide and 2m long?
  5. If six people can dig six holes in six days, how long would it take one person to dig half a hole?
  6. A cow standing on 3 legs weighs 330kg. What would the cow weigh when it is on all 4 legs?

I hope to get some guesses soon Very Happy
dark_one
An electric train is travelling west at 60km/h. The wind is blowing in an easterly direction at 40km/h. Which direction will the smoke from the engine go? EAST

If a plane crashes on the Victoria/New South Wales border, where would the survivors be buried? wherever their families say

If you only had one match and entered a room with a kerosene lamp, an oil heater and a wood burning stove, which would you light first? stove

How much dirt is there in a hole 1m deep, 1.2m wide and 2m long? 2.4m cubed

If six people can dig six holes in six days, how long would it take one person to dig half a hole? 12 hours

A cow standing on 3 legs weighs 330kg. What would the cow weigh when it is on all 4 legs? 330kg
n0obie4life
1. None, electric trains don't have smoke Wink
2. Nowhere, they would all be in the river.
3. The match.
4. There isn't any dirt, it's a friggin hole.
5. 12 hours
6. 330kg

I know I got 1 & 3 correct Wink. Any rewards?
easydolphin
Here are the answers!!

1. An electric train is travelling west at 60km/h. The wind is blowing in an easterly direction at 40km/h. Which direction will the smoke from the engine go?

Answer: Electric trains are not for giving smoke!!

2. If a plane crashes on the Victoria/New South Wales border, where would the survivors be buried?

Answer: They will be buried in the water!!

3. If you only had one match and entered a room with a kerosene lamp, an oil heater and a wood burning stove, which would you light first?

Answer: I would surely light the match first!!

Answer: the Hole can' have dirt there

5. If six people can dig six holes in six days, how long would it take one person to dig half a hole?

Answer: 2 days!!

6. A cow standing on 3 legs weighs 330kg. What would the cow weigh when it is on all 4 legs?

Answer: 330000 gm or 330 kg as usual

Are they all correct!!
If yes then donate me some Frih$

Cool
Isn't it !!!!
mOrpheuS
Find my answers inline

Electric trains don't produce about enough smoke for it to be noticeable. In view of the absence of a substantial amount of smoke, I refuse to answer this question.
    I don't know where they will be buried, but we can expect the survivors to put up one hell of a fight before we'll manage to bury them alive.
    The match.
    If the hole is empty... none.
    Otherwise it depends on how much dirt you put in.

Ummm....define half a hole. (half or not, it's still a hole right ?)
    Holes do not discriminate amongst themselves based on fractions.
    Since there's no such things as a "whole hole", there cannot be a thing as "half a hole"
    But if we assume that "half a hole" requires half as much time to dig as a "complete" one...
    3 days.

330kg + the weight of the guilt of having tried to betray her 4 legged species.
    (and I'll pay you 100FRIH$ for that acrobatic cow)

Daniel15
Here's the actual answers we got:
Quote:
An electric train is travelling west at 60km/h. The wind is blowing in an easterly direction at 40km/h. Which direction will the smoke from the engine go?
There's no smoke from an electric train.

Quote:
If a plane crashes on the Victoria/New South Wales border, where would the survivors be buried?
Would the survivors really get buried?

Quote:
If you only had one match and entered a room with a kerosene lamp, an oil heater and a wood burning stove, which would you light first?
The match, of course!

Quote:
How much dirt is there in a hole 1m deep, 1.2m wide and 2m long?
There's no dirt in a hole; by definition, a hole is empty.

Quote:
If six people can dig six holes in six days, how long would it take one person to dig half a hole?
There's no such thing as half a hole!

Quote:
A cow standing on 3 legs weighs 330kg. What would the cow weigh when it is on all 4 legs?
The same.

Now for some more Very HappyVery Happy:

7. How far can a horse walk with a 20m rope tied around it's neck?
8. A student in the school library runs towards the shopping centre at 5m/s. Another student at the shopping centre runs towards the school library at 7m/s. Which student is nearest the school library when they meet?
9. How far can a dog run into the woods?
10. If you take 2 apples from 3 apples, how many do you have?
11. What word is spelt wrong in every dictionary?
12. Max has two current Australian coins. Together they total 55c ($0.55). One of the coins is not a 5c coin. What are the coins? (note: Australian coins = 5c 10c 20c 50c $1 $2)

And now for some trickey ones:
22. A ship is at anchor. Over it's side hangs a ladder with rungs 30cm apart. The bottom rung of the ladder is touching the water. If the tide rises at a rate of 8cm a hour, how long will it take for the first four rungs of the ladder to be covered with water?
23. Find the next two letters in this series: O, T, T , F, F, S, S, E, N
24. A person builds a rectangular house with four sides to it. EACH side is facing south. A big bear wanders by. What colour is the bear?
n0obie4life
Stop replying to his old qusetion. Reply to the new one.

23. One two three four five six seven eight nine ten

I can only answer one question Razz
MrStone
7) 20m?
Cool When they meet, they'd both be the same distance from the library
9) ?
10)1 apple
11) wrong
12) If one coin is not a 5c coin, then the other must be, so a 50c and a 5c?

22) A boat floats, so it would be impossible for a ladder attached onto a boat to sink
23) T
24) i have no idea, brown?
tidruG
My answers are in green...
daniel15 wrote:
As far as it wants, especially since the other end of the rope is not tied to anything
8. A student in the school library runs towards the shopping centre at 5m/s. Another student at the shopping centre runs towards the school library at 7m/s. Which student is nearest the school library when they meet?
When they meet, irrespective of where they are, they'll both be at the same distance from the library and also from the shopping center (because they're both at the same point.
I can't answer this question because you just told me the answer Razz Sad
Provided you haven't eaten any of the apples, you still have all 3 apples... however, if you take those 2 apples and go away, then you have 2 apples
the word "wrong" Very Happy
12. Max has two current Australian coins. Together they total 55c ($0.55). One of the coins is not a 5c coin. What are the coins? (note: Australian coins = 5c 10c 20c 50c $1 $2)
One of the coins is not a 5c... the other one is. So the coins are still 5c and 50c

And now for some trickey ones:
22. A ship is at anchor. Over it's side hangs a ladder with rungs 30cm apart. The bottom rung of the ladder is touching the water. If the tide rises at a rate of 8cm a hour, how long will it take for the first four rungs of the ladder to be covered with water?
As the tide rises, so will the ship... it won't go any lower into the water than it already is... basically, the bottom rung of the ladder will continue to touch the water, and the water will never get higher than this point
T,E ... n0obie already gave the answer to this one.
24. A person builds a rectangular house with four sides to it. EACH side is facing south. A big bear wanders by. What colour is the bear?I think I have read this one before... each wall is facing South if the house is at the North Pole... I'm guessing the bear is a polar bear, and will consequently be white
Daniel15
Good work tidruG!

Just a few more:
14. Two fathers and two sons went fishing. Each person caught a fish but they only brought home three fish. Why?

17. If the numbers from 1 to 100 were written out (eg. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ..... 99, 100), how many times would the digit '9' appear?

20. Two trains left Melbourne for Sydney at the same time and the same speed. One train made the trip in 80 minutes while the other one took 1 hour and 20 minutes. Explain!
21. David put a $5 note into a wine bottle then tightly put the cork back into the bottle. He then removed the $5 note without pulling out the cork or breaking the bottle. How did he do this?

Well, that's all I have. I hope you liked these, as I typed them ALL out (no, no cutting and pasting here, I originally had these on a piece of paper).
MrStone
14) one father is also a son, making it so that there are three people

17) once

20) One went a longer way

21) he took the note out before he put the cork in
tidruG
daniel15 wrote:
Good work tidruG!

Very Happy

Quote:
Just a few more:
14. Two fathers and two sons went fishing. Each person caught a fish but they only brought home three fish. Why?

There are only 3 people... a man, his son and his father. So, basically the man plays the dual role of father and son and is counted twice.

Quote:
17. If the numbers from 1 to 100 were written out (eg. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ..... 99, 100), how many times would the digit '9' appear?

9 (9,19,29....89) + 9 (91,92,93...98 ) + 2 (99 ) = 20, unless you meant the number 9 in isolation, in which it would be only once.

Quote:
20. Two trains left Melbourne for Sydney at the same time and the same speed. One train made the trip in 80 minutes while the other one took 1 hour and 20 minutes. Explain!

Haha! This one is awesome... 80 minutes == 1h 20m... lol.

Quote:
21. David put a $5 note into a wine bottle then tightly put the cork back into the bottle. He then removed the $5 note without pulling out the cork or breaking the bottle. How did he do this?

Still thinking about this one...

And yes, this time I decided to write answers outside of the quote box because i want points and FRIH$ for my answers.. Razz
n0obie4life
14. son - father & son - father
17. bleh.
20. one hour and twenty minutes = 80 minutes
21. he put the cork back into the BOTTLE not the WINE BOTTLE
Daniel15
To rephrase the answer to question 14, there is a grandfather, a father and a son. n0obie4life, tidruG and MrStone got the answer correct for 14.

Nobody's got the answer for 21 yet... Keep trying!
MrStone
he put the cork INTO the bottle, not stopping it, but shoving it into the bottle!
n0obie4life
Then, erm, the wine bottle was already broken?

Wink
Daniel15
MrStone wrote:
he put the cork INTO the bottle, not stopping it, but shoving it into the bottle!

Exactly! You got it!

He put the $5 note into the bottle, but then pushed the cork all the way into the bottle. Then, you could just shake the bottle to get the $5 out.
lockwolf
Which ones havent been answered? Its kinda confusing!
whplace
# An electric train is travelling west at 60km/h. The wind is blowing in an easterly direction at 40km/h. Which direction will the smoke from the engine go? EAST
# If a plane crashes on the Victoria/New South Wales border, where would the survivors be buried? ON THE BORDER
# If you only had one match and entered a room with a kerosene lamp, an oil heater and a wood burning stove, which would you light first? THE MATCH
# How much dirt is there in a hole 1m deep, 1.2m wide and 2m long? NO CLUE
# If six people can dig six holes in six days, how long would it take one person to dig half a hole? HALF A DAy ???
# A cow standing on 3 legs weighs 330kg. What would the cow weigh when it is on all 4 legs? 440 ??

I know my answers are stupid........ Please give us the answers
whplace
Sorry........ never saw that you already postd the answers...... lol sorry
SilverDogg
im going to answer all the questions. why? because i can dammit! ;P
i didnt read any of your answers so dont kill me because im right! if i now am right ;P

1 An electric train is travelling west at 60km/h. The wind is blowing in an easterly direction at 40km/h. Which direction will the smoke from the engine go?
what smoke dammit? its electric ;P

2 If a plane crashes on the Victoria/New South Wales border, where would the survivors be buried?
now why do you wanna go bury the survivors? ;P

3 If you only had one match and entered a room with a kerosene lamp, an oil heater and a wood burning stove, which would you light first?
the match of course

4 How much dirt is there in a hole 1m deep, 1.2m wide and 2m long?
why would there be any dirt in a hole? ;P

5 If six people can dig six holes in six days, how long would it take one person to dig half a hole?
what the hell is half a hole? O_o
well, im guessing it takes half a day, if it takes one day to dig a hole. but still, what is half a hole? its still a hole dammit!

6 A cow standing on 3 legs weighs 330kg. What would the cow weigh when it is on all 4 legs?
just as much as before, 330kg

it can walk wherever it want, and how far it want. the rope isnt tied to anything else.

well, when they meet, they will both be at the same distance from the library.

to the middle, then it runs out of it again.

if you walk away, 2. otherwise, still 3.

wrong? ;P

the other coin is a 5c coin. i read this one somewhere before. or saw it on tv maybe. hmm

the youngest son, his father, and his father. three persons.

only once.

whats there to explain? they both took the same time to get to sydney ;P.

he put the cork INTO the bottle. just shake it around a bit and you are sure to get that note back.

unless the ship is indoors or something, it will never be covered with water.

T, E

24. A person builds a rectangular house with four sides to it. EACH side is facing south. A big bear wanders by. What colour is the bear?
hmm.. this one i dont know O_o
BlackMask
. None, electric trains don't have smoke
2. Nowhere, they would all be in the river.
3. The match.
4. There isn't any dirt, it's a friggin hole.
5. 12 hours
6. 330kg