FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

About linux login menu!

webbone
I had installed a double system!windows 2003 and suse linux 10,But when my windows system have some error,I'm reinstall my windows system use my ghost backup,But when I start my computer,There haven't a boot select menu like before and login windows directly!How to rebuild the boot menu?

Thank everyone at first! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
djclue917
The bootloader "disappeared" because you re-installed Windows. Windows would always write at the Master Boot Record to make the system boot to Windows directly. It overwrites the MBR data of the bootloader, thus, the bootloader would not boot anymore.

The solution is to re-install the bootloader. However, I am not familiar with SUSE because I only use Ubuntu. But there maybe some similarities though.

This is for installing GRUB:

You could use an Ubuntu Live CD, then boot from it. After booting from it, open up the terminal and run "sudo grub-install /dev/sda6". The /dev/sda6 is arbitrary. I don't know how to do it from SUSE but I have a hunch that SUSE also comes with a "rescue mode" like Ubuntu does. Anyway, you could install the bootloader from any OS even in Windows. Just install the Windows-version of GRUB. I do not know anything about LILO so I am just elaborating more on GRUB.

HTH
Dino
you have to reinstall bootloader, i think that SUSE have like Mandriva ˇsystem rescueˇ on their install dvds or cds
tiancongxin
The boot menu is GRUB bootloader,you can try some rescue cd ,or livecd,like
Ubuntu LIvecd 5.10,or Gentoo LiveCD 2005.1,they can be downloaded in
www.ubuntu.com
www.gentoo.org
webbone
Thank you very much,I will try to re-install the boot loader! Laughing