FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

fonts and browser support

riv_
A recent topic in this forum prompted this post. You know, I often have a hard time deciding which fonts to use on my pages because I'm not always sure which ones are going to be supported.
I know that some are supported by certain browsers and others are not (of course!) and that there is a way to make special fonts available... but I don't know what that is.
SO would you please share your knowledge with me? What fonts are supported by which browsers? Where do I learn more about this? (The serif/sans link on the other thread was interesting, thankyou!) Where do I find more fonts? How do I make non-supported fonts available on my pages? Anything else you eant to tell me?
Marston
It has nothing to do with the browsers at all. It just has to do with the fonts people have on their computers.
Billwaa
I had renctly looked at a web template, they upload the font they use in the templat in the same folder as the web. Maybe you can use some script to load the font from the net?
Marston
http://www.spoono.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.php?id=19

Hope that helps Smile.
riv_
Of course it's not the browser! Embarassed
Thanks, Marston, for the link, re: embedding fonts. That's cool!
What about defaults?
I've notices different default fonts and font-sizes in different browsers. How do i not know where to find out about default browser settings??
Marston
I don't know if there's a default font face, but there is a default font size. If you use HTML font control tags, such as
Code:
<font size="2">this is font size two</font>
the browser default font size overrides the the font size tag. BUT if you use css to control your font sizes, no one can change them. That can be a caveat because people with limited sight may not be able to increase the font size if it is too small Smile.
riv_
Yeah, so I've been using relative styles in my CSS to control my font size. (100%, etc)
Why does IE insist on showing it so much bigger than FF and Opera?
Which one should I code for?
(I suspect IE because Opera and FF users can resize their text in their view menu?????)
Any insights?