FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GIMP vs. Photoshop

pevensie
Has anyone used both the GIMP (latest version) and Photoshop? If so, do you think Photoshop is worth the money? My parents teach at a university so they could get it at a discount, but I'm not sure if it's really that much better then the GIMP. I do mainly Harry Potter/Narnia/Series of Unfortuante Events wallpapers, layouts, and other types of fan media.

(hope this is the right forum!)
S3nd K3ys
pevensie wrote:
Has anyone used both the GIMP (latest version) and Photoshop? If so, do you think Photoshop is worth the money? My parents teach at a university so they could get it at a discount, but I'm not sure if it's really that much better then the GIMP. I do mainly Harry Potter/Narnia/Series of Unfortuante Events wallpapers, layouts, and other types of fan media.

(hope this is the right forum!)

I'm not nearly as good with gimp (yet), but from what I've seen/heard, it's just as good, especially considering the price difference.

One thing I'm not quite sure about is creating animated gif's in gimp. I know it can be done, but I really like the interface in ps
ocalhoun
Photoshop really is better and easier, but that dosn't make it worth an inordinate sum of money.
My suggestion: bootleg an older version of photoshop that they don't really sell anymore.
If you don't want to do that, then just stick with the Gimp.
Eyre
yeah, i was a hardcore GIMP user for a while. I've since switched to photoshop though. It is worth the money...but you need a good amount of RAM, because it takes up ALOT. Now i use Photoshop and GIMP in combonation, because with those two programs it's freaking awesome. PS has a lot more effects and filters and stuff you can do. In my opinion, GIMP is a bit under photoshop. But just a bit. If you have the money to use PS, do it. But if you'd rather stick with a free and decent program, GIMP is your buddy.
NightsCuriosity
I like Macromedia Fireworks myself....
myrevolt
i've just gotten really comfortable with photoshop elements (i got it for $50 after mail-in rebate several years back) but now that I am preparing to dual-boot gentoo in addition to my existing windows XP partition i started playing around w/ GIMP on knoppix, it seems to be good, though, radically different in interface. i mean its one of those things, if you are used to MS Word and then you switch over to OpenOffice, you are gonna be like WTF!?. but i think I heard about a skin for GIMP that makes it look identical to photoshop, i dont know if i misheard or not though.... good luck with it, it can be quite fun. P.S. in response to the comment about animated gifs, yes I do find it to be quite helpful although from personal experience don't try to make large (many colors such as photos) .gif's in photoshop or they will distort, although i think that is just a physical limitation with the gif format not an issue w/ photoshop.
angelo
I'm not aware about GIMP?Where can I get that one? I have photoshop on m y computer and I've been using it for along time now! It's great! I created all my websites through photoshop. And I think, many people are using it over GIMP. Don't you think? Very Happy
Eyre
myrevolt wrote:
i mean its one of those things, if you are used to MS Word and then you switch over to OpenOffice, you are gonna be like WTF!?. but i think I heard about a skin for GIMP that makes it look identical to photoshop, i dont know if i misheard or not though....

yeah PS is definitly different that GIMP, you get scared at first, but you just have to do some tutorials.

And your almost 100% correct about the skin. It's not a skin, it's actually a mod thing, called GIMPshop, i tried to install it, but it crashed my program, i did something wrong and never bothered to do it again. Google it and it should be one of the first ones.
jp
Yeah, a plus side is that you can open a .PSD (photoshop saved image) in GIMP and save a .PSD, too. It's some pretty good beans. But I'd get PS if I could....
TeK
I wouldn't pay for Photoshop. It isn't that much better than GIMP
tidruG
Umm... as far as I remember, wasn't the Frihost policy not to allow any more X vs Y" threads?
-locked-