FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux or Windows on your computer?!

dengbs
Hi to all
I prefer both.
Linux is more secure and configurable.
In Windows to play games and in linux to learn more about bash and security, may be in the future I will administrate a linux server.
What do you use?
I use Windows XP Pro and Slackware 10.1 that is running in VMware 5.0 virtual machine.
Have a nice day.
mathiaus
Plain old windows for me (xp). I dont know enough about Linux to use it but i think from what everyone says about I'll look into it a bit more when I buy a new computer or just get fed up with windows Razz
Rsam
I would love to try Linux if every program I liked worked for it, sadly it doesn't so XP for me.
James Bond-007
Moved to Computer Software forum.
pll
I have and I like windows.
Wink
James Bond-007
pll wrote:
I have and I like windows.
Wink

Same here...though it is unstable...Wink
boutolliz
ok, ...
Nice question, ...
I think everybody here who knows Linux knows its performance and its security, and would use it for all his jobs on his computer, ...
Why he can't ... and this is the question that we must ask, ... because 80% of developpement companies, produce softs for use under MS-OSs, hardware company also, provide Windows drivers sometimes MacOS, ... is there any Adobe Photoshop for Linux, ...no, gimp is not Photoshop, and you can find too many examples like this, ok... so problem is with software developpemet companies, and not with Linux, i prefer Linux, rather than Windows, ok, but I can't work without it, at home, at work, everywhere, ... all the people use windows, and for servers sometimes you find some people using Linux but only for servers, ...
If we prefer Linux we must ask these companies like "Adobe, Macromedia, ..." to make versions to use under Linux OS, we must convince them, and buy these versions to encourage others to make the first step, ...
yes, there's too many freeware for Linux but we aren't used with, and espescially for pros, they can't migrate for another softz whish are less performant sometimes...
So wish OS we use, We prefer Linux, We use Windows, ...
n0obie4life
Quote:
ok, ...
Nice question, ...
I think everybody here who knows Linux knows its performance and its security, and would use it for all his jobs on his computer, ...

Hell yeah Very Happy.

Quote:

Why he can't ... and this is the question that we must ask, ... because 80% of developpement companies, produce softs for use under MS-OSs, hardware company also, provide Windows drivers sometimes MacOS,

Oh really? We depend on open source crap then.

Quote:
... is there any Adobe Photoshop for Linux, ...no, gimp is not Photoshop, and you can find too many examples like this,

FYI, gimp is a almost like clone of photoshop. If you used it.

Quote:
ok... so problem is with software developpemet companies, and not with Linux, i prefer Linux, rather than Windows, ok, but I can't work without it, at home, at work, everywhere, ... all the people use windows, and for servers sometimes you find some people using Linux but only for servers, ...

Yeah, I have to agree..Linux is mostly server use.

Quote:
If we prefer Linux we must ask these companies like "Adobe, Macromedia, ..." to make versions to use under Linux OS, we must convince them, and buy these versions to encourage others to make the first step, ...

I don't think that they would be botherd cause they want money.

According to the GPL, any product that is open source, all its addons must be open source. And normally open source software is free (correct me on this if i'm wrong...the last time i read the GPL was like 1 year ago)

Quote:

yes, there's too many freeware for Linux but we aren't used with, and espescially for pros, they can't migrate for another softz whish are less performant sometimes...
So wish OS we use, We prefer Linux, We use Windows, ...

We can.
frozenhead
I use both in my machine!.. technically speaking i have a "dual boot" system.. i use Windows XP for games and some personal stuffz in the other hand, Red Hat Linux for some of my work and projects! Idea
Eagle
I use windows but i can't say wich is better because i never used linux
dionet
I only use Windows for games or programs non compatible with wine
albert
I'm stupid
I don't know how to install Lunix Embarassed
So I use windows Wink
n0obie4life
albert wrote:
I'm stupid
So I use windows Wink

nooo, no one is born stupid..

its quite simple actually, all you need is a blank disc Very Happy.

download the ISO for linux about 650mb. then burn it onto the CD Very Happy.
blackant
I am using winxp, and I tried linux before...but don't really like it as it is too much a trouble for me. Sad

I still finds that windows are more user friendly.
The window interface in linux is still lacking behind m$...sorry to say that but I would stick to winxp till there is a more easy way of running and installing program in linux. Wink
Ranfaroth
I use Debian GNU/Linux at home, at work, and on my laptop, because I want a free, very secure, extremely stable, light, open-source, user-friendly, fast, hugely customizable OS, with a great choice of softwares so easy to install.
darkelven
Simply. All depends that you want to do with your pd.
I f you like playing a lot of games, and have a nice desktop with beaty icons and cursors and color, meet windows.
But if you want security, reliability and worldwide support and you want to do real interesting things with your pc, you have to try linux.
Linux offers all that and a lot of more capabilities.
Helios
If you are serious about programming and development and you are doing that 24 hours a day, then you should probably try Linux.

But if you are into games and comfort, then drop the idea.
Use MS WIN because if you'll try linux, you'll probably install it together with MS WIN or you will just try it for a month~ and then you will come back to windows.

So don't waste time and CDs Very Happy
billgertz
Linux has a higher stability than windows. the only problems is, it has only limited Hardware Compatibility List compared to windows..
which means that there are only few hardware and software manufacturers who do support linux.. also, i've tried installing Redhat 9.0 and it requires much memory and Video RAM.. as much as possible you must have a dedicated AGP Video card to support its GUI. comparing to windows, Video is great because of the help of Direct X.. I'll vote for windows for beginners because its very user friendly but if you know a lot of computers stuffs, use linux.. but again good luck for searching compatible software.. Very Happy
billgertz
Linux has a higher stability than windows. the only problems is, it has only limited Hardware Compatibility List compared to windows..
which means that there are only few hardware and software manufacturers who do support linux.. also, i've tried installing Redhat 9.0 and it requires much memory and Video RAM.. as much as possible you must have a dedicated AGP Video card to support its GUI. comparing to windows, Video is great because of the help of Direct X.. I'll vote for windows for beginners because its very user friendly but if you know a lot of computers stuffs, use linux.. but again good luck for searching compatible software.. Very Happy
Milli Riba
I have Windows XP Sp1

I would love to get my hands on Linux but i have had some real embarassing problems while trying to install it Embarassed
v3nd0r
i have both windows [98se] and linux [slackware 10.1] but most of time i use linux. I have windows to so some other works but most time i use linux. Why i ahve both? because i know some things work better on windows [maybe in future it will change] Razz
SONY
I like LiNux ... I use FireFox...
vizavex
I use windows the most still learning to use linux...
but linux may as new exploring for me Very Happy Very Happy
m_furquan36
well, not to say that im a windows fanatic, its just that windows is the best OS thwere is, my bro uses linux and i have to say hes DEFINITELY additcted 2 it, its not userfirendly at all, WINDOWS, ROCK ON!
MeleceNi
I use XP at most

Because I must use lots of programs work on XP

If other people use WinXP and I use Linux, some income will go...
themoose
I use windows XP Home as well. I hear there's a way to get linux using gmail, anyone know how?
billgertz
themoose wrote:
I use windows XP Home as well. I hear there's a way to get linux using gmail, anyone know how?

hmm.. never heared about that.. gmail just is a free email service. how are you going to get linux from gmail..
well probably an installation program is attached on gmail and you just have to download it but it will not automatically install linux.. you have to install linux by yourself..

Ranfaroth
He's talking about gmail filesystem, a way to use gmail storage space as if it was part of your hard drive.
galih
i use XP ..

Because Xp is easy for use..and im dont have any time for learn other Os..
thanks..

Very Happy
jeuxinfos
I have Linux Fedora and Windows Xp on my Computer.
But I am often on Windows XP Crying or Very sad
freeman_fz
I am using Windows XP Cool
I think Windows XP is quite good Wink
Grimboy
I have 6 pentium II and equivelentss that all use vector linux. And my "good" pentium IV uses XP. I love dabbling in linux, but I want to use flash. Games aren't a massive problem with http://www.transgaming.com/. But nothing has adequate support for linux. As it is I often find myself on the verge of full linux conversion. But decide not to at the last moment.
mars
windows xp sp2 and Fedora 4 in my notebook,
and only debian in my PC.
Kd527
albert wrote:
I'm stupid
So I use windows Wink

Nonsense! Just put in the CD right after you turn on your computer. It should launch the installer, and from there it's just a wizard. Just don't wipe out the stuff you have on your computer already. Use a different partition. Wink
svhkid
I've been using windows since I was like born, so I prefer windows
Maka
Windows obviously. how else am I gonna play all the latest games and apps.
Natrualkiller
I Run linux on my other computer would love to run it on this computer only problem is compatibilty and binaries for new games and so on by fair linux is better if you got a spare comp set it up check it out your self u can download it for free legaly
Helios
Linux is the best for working and developments, when i was so damn busy with my work i just nstalled linux and with it's extra software for development i made my work in no-time.

now i have windows cuz i want to play a little bit and rest from my work..
kalpik
I have both! Windows XP and Fedora Core 3
Bookface
Linux here, and trying to convert wherever I can. It's perhaps a little more work to set up, but so much easier to keep running, to use. Two friends and my parents' business all on Linux now, and both of the friends had one convert, so... never break the chain!

P.S. Third friend to switch soon, yay
gamo
Windows or Linux ! That's a complexible problem. It's depend on who use them, what purpose they use them for.

Windows not free, even very expensive cost. But it is visual , easy to use, common product, many thirds- party software along with....

Linux certainly free, security, speed, low hardware, ... But we have very less application sofware as game, relax...Graphic interface not good for game. It just useful for server purposes because it's stable, less enemy as virus, trojan, worm. Linux is not meet individual person using than windows.

How do you think?
surdy
Linux Rulez on my Desktop
I use Fedora Core 2
I quit Windows one and a half year back.
Googs
I've never tried Linux. I am running Windows XP. I'm just fine with it.
Ranfaroth
gamo wrote:
Linux certainly free, security, speed, low hardware, ... But we have very less application sofware as game, relax...Graphic interface not good for game. It just useful for server purposes because it's stable, less enemy as virus, trojan, worm. Linux is not meet individual person using than windows.

How do you think?
Some people are not hardcore gamers.
So GNU/Linux will fit better for them (and Linux games will be enough for them)
Tepelstreeltje
Linux is by far more stable than almost any version of Windows. I dual boot both my desktop and my laptop. Both have their uses and I use them both all the time.

The thing that everyone has trouble with when learning to use Linux is that they have "Learned" how to use Windows. The easiest way to "get" the hang on Linux is to forget what Windows has taught you. New computer users find Linux easy..much like a Mac. If you have a program in Windows that you don't want...you Uninstall it....if your in Linux...you simply Delete the file or folder. Pretty much the same you'd do at your house. You don't Uninstall something you don't want...you trash it. Linux is like that.

Configuration mistakes? Simple fix...in your directory list the "hidden" files (they're the ones with the . in front of them). Find the name of the program...trash the file. Restart the program with default settings again. Simple eh? No need to "Uninstall and Reinstall" the software.

I'm not saying to rush out and install Linux...but a dual boot system is great to get the feel for it with a safety cushion to get you back into Windows.
Psychopath50187
I have Windows XP but sometimes I use a linux bootdisk i have. I like them both the same.
psycho207
I tried using lunix before but i got confused and i didn't want tyo learn how to use it correctly lol so I just stayed with my good ol' windows xp 64bit
«TechnoPhile»
Windows + Linux Here....
Kelcey
I have fedora core installed on one of my hard drives and XP on the other. I hate trying to install stuff on fedora core, it's such a pain. XP uses wizards which makes things so much nicer. I do appreciate the Linux community though. I just need to stick with XP cause it makes things a lot easier for me.
lockwolf
I have a dual boot Windows XP/Suse Linux 7.2 system. I rarely use SUSE mainly because I have no sound and no Wireless lan.
SNES350
I mainly use Windows XP, but on a very slow computer we upgraded (to later regret it) to XP, I formatted the hard drive then installed SimplyMEPIS (linux distro) on it. The install was easy enough and even though the specs are terrible by the standards now (they were very good for a Windows 98 computer) it's usable.
kvisko
It`s depending for what are you gona use.
If you like to host servers(http,ftp,smtp...) the probably you gona use linux,or if you need only for chat or watch the movies then you going to have windows..
KKK777
windows and am thinking to get a linux side by side.
comsci18
i use windowxp on my main computer
and i use window 2003 server on my server computer
and install linux on VMware in my server computer
Sarah
I use Windows XP, yep, works fine for me. Never tried Linux, though, could try it in the future but now Windows is working okay for me.
zoky72
Hi
So. very difficult question.Sometimes I need windows if I try to make some softwares for win platform but sometimes I need some unix system for the experimets in development. I personaly use Windows XP pro in one machine and in one Notebook I have SuSe 9.1. I don't knopw what is better but we are not competent to speak about it because both OS has own good and bad sides and regarding what we need we will use OS which is good for us:)
It's just my opinion
delman
I use Windows XP home, as well as Windows 2000 and I have used DSL, Fedora Core 3, Debian, and Mandrake as far as linux.
Blurunner
I got windows ME on my computer.Liike nothing is compatible with it.It has bugs all up in it.It is just plain crappy.
blackant
With the new policy of MS, I think my days with windows is coming to an end.

Just downloaded Ubuntu and install it after 4 times..but it the end it is working fine now. Wink

Trying to get used to it for now. Hopefully, I can ditch windows this time. Razz
Helios
lmao.. ubnutu

lol comple gentoo or install debian..

debian is stable, good for server.
gentoo imo is good for learning baou the system, cuz u need to compile shit loads of code and then if you'll want to install software, you'll need to compile it too... rox! Very Happy
Higgs
zoky72 wrote:
Hi
So. very difficult question.Sometimes I need windows if I try to make some softwares for win platform but sometimes I need some unix system for the experimets in development.

Same here. And I really like gaming, so I have to use both.
I think Linux is still made for 'technical users'. You can learn a lot and you can do a lot with it, without paying a lot of money for every single software package. The software is usually highly configurable in Linux. Probably because most Linux programmers program the software that they want/need. They are technical users and program for technical users.

E.g. my/our router runs Debian Linux and performs traffic shaping/QOS to guarantee low latency when I'm gaming and the others are downloading via p2p or ftp. The result is, that the machine performs a task maybe as good as a NT machine with software for a few 1000 dollars. But the setup wasn't userfriendly. Had to patch the latest features in the kernel, patch tools, study a lot of doku and work with cryptic scripts. If you're willing to do things like that, Linux owns, because you can do almost everything with it. If you have a problem, then someelse had it probably earlier and worked out a solution for that. Usually it's not newbie friendly, but it's available, does the job great and is for free.

But this also shows in my opinion, why Linux has problems on the desktop market. There are more windows programmers, who write user friendly programs for the standard non technical user, because they earn their money with it. The desktop market needs applications for the mass market that are easy to handle, not some stuff that can do everything, but only after you have read a lot of documentation and gained the knowledge of a technician to set it up right.
Ok, linux is also growing on the desktop market, but not as fast as on the server market. I think, the advantages for a technical user are just a lot higher than for the typical home user. And disadvantages like incompatibility to M$ mass market products means less. Smile
bambay
I'm one of Linux and various Open Source products fanatic users, I installed Mandrake(now ManDriva) 10, Fedora Core 3, Ubuntu, and I have tried lot of other distros, and couple of them really good for me Very Happy, I'm also use such aplication like Gimp, Quanta+, and much others, yeah I have played various games too: Unreal Tournament 2004(good but very heavy) DOOM3 and many others, Linux is ROCK, Open Source is ROCK Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy.
engalex
xp better for all funs
linux for work
modak
themoose wrote:

Well Gmail has POP/SMTP servers and you can configure almost any email application (Outlook/Thunderbird/Eudora) to work with Gmail.

For Linux you have Thunderbird and Evolution. There are others too, but they aren't that well known or aggressively developed.

Besides IMHO, Firefox (Windows/Linux) works better than IE with Gmail.It just feels a lot cleaner
beefstewe
Currently, i'm using windows XP for ease of use, but hope to try out linux soon for my other PC.
Antoine_935
Since my windows had crashed 20 times within half an hour, I've been using Linux (mandrake)
It is useful for me because it features an Apache webserver, I use it to develop my projects on my website, so I'm not depending of a public server and I spare bandwidth.
I don't have any game, but they don't miss me Smile
the only software I use is Firefox, Gimp and Apache.
and XMMS Laughing
vainer10
I own and use Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2!
Derleth
I use Linux because Windows doesn't have the software I want, at least at reasonable prices. I am not going to shell out some absurd amount of money for VC++ when I can download gcc for free, and gcc is more standards-compliant and user-friendly to boot. Emacs is available for both OSes, but in Linux it comes with the base OS install and in Windows I have to hunt it down, download it, and install it.

Plus, Linux is more configurable. I can't get Windows to look like anything but Windows, whereas I can get Linux to look like anything I want. I can make Linux do things automatically at certain times and while I think there is something similar in Windows, I feel more comfortable with the Linux crontab.

Finally, I know Linux isn't spying on me or allowing other programs to spy on me. You never know what's really going on in a Windows system. Linux is a lot safer.
LostOverThere
Linux is better.
But sadly I still use Micro$uck Windows XP.
Antoine_935
Laughing Micro$ucks Laughing

I've tried Solaris. I love it, but not my pc Sad he doesn't support it, and it makes me sad, because Solaris is the best OS I've tried. The installation is long, very long, but the OS is a fortress, easy tu use and pleasant.
modak
One thing that I noticed while going through the topic was that many people have posted that they have had problems while installing Linux, but they don't detail the problems that they've faced while doing so. The Frihost forums are quite well suited for community support. I'm sure that all Linux users of Frihost would be glad to help out.

Just a few pointers for people posting their problems:

1. We do not have access to your computer, so please post details of the problem that you're facing. Unless you detail your problem we'll not be able to understand and give correct answers. Please detail what you were trying to do and what steps you took to rectify the problem.

2. When posting problems related to installation issues, please also include details of your hardware. If you use a branded machine, at least state the model number clearly..

[Other Linux gurus please add any tips you would like to share]
Dimaod
Now using Windows....
Want to try Linux...
Want to look at it Razz
Have a lot of literature abou Linux
orcaz
Used to use Windows 98, which is crappy, hence, I upgraded to XP Home. XP Home is very good actually, but never trust the Windows Firewall. I have disabled it, and replaced it with Norton Internet Security. The security the Windows Firewall provide is pathetic.
arcdigital
i like linux a lot. it is very powerful and cool! i have kubuntu linux. i love it. linux also has many cool applications
ulmas
n0obie4life wrote:
nooo, no one is born stupid..

Yeap, you become a stupid Very Happy

I mostly work on Windows XP. But recetly grabbed an iso of Knoppix, which is when I tried Linux for the first time. And Linux is great! It is faster, more reliable, and has no games Sad. But If there were more software available for Linux, I would moved from Windows to Linux.

Besides, I read that most businesses now move to Linux because of it reliablity and low costs.
speedlikecy
i use windows 98 before....
now i am using windows xp...

i think winxp stable then win98...
progman89
Linux combines the best features of Mac and Windows. It easily integrates with your existing hardware and works well with advanced features, like Windows, and it's simple to set up and very stable, like Mac. I think Linux is the best OS, however, I use Windows because it's the most widely used and accepted OS.
orcaz
progman89 wrote:
Linux combines the best features of Mac and Windows. It easily integrates with your existing hardware and works well with advanced features, like Windows, and it's simple to set up and very stable, like Mac. I think Linux is the best OS, however, I use Windows because it's the most widely used and accepted OS.

But when I first used Linux, I felt that it wasn't user friendly... Maybe because I am only familiar with Windows. Also, most of the programs in the world is based on Windows, so Linux still not so acceptable.
Ranfaroth
orcaz wrote:
But when I first used Linux, I felt that it wasn't user friendly...
Because you didn't try a user-friendly distrib. You can be sure they're more easy to use than windows©
Quote:
Also, most of the programs in the world is based on Windows
I find more softwares on GNU/Linux than on win32...
For example, how many windows manager softwares have you on win32 ? How many browser engines ? How many PDF readers ?
gamo
dengbs wrote:
Hi to all
I prefer both.
Linux is more secure and configurable.
In Windows to play games and in linux to learn more about bash and security, may be in the future I will administrate a linux server.
What do you use?
I use Windows XP Pro and Slackware 10.1 that is running in VMware 5.0 virtual machine.
Have a nice day.

Using Virtual Machine is good too. This method need high speed PC, if not we lose a lot of time (time is money). Besides, we can use linux on CDROM, this very convenient because we do not need to set up linux and it very safe for our windows system. There are a mass of linux on CDROM, I think Koppix is worth to you try. Only boot PC with CD already in CD Drive, wait about 3 minutes, you will free with linux on your pc. Especially, this method no need a high speed PC.
bigdan
I've got Win XP ATM...but when I convert all my movies to DVD and delete them, I'm going to partition part of my drive so I can run Ubantu Linux Very Happy
falconfx
I have both installed on my computer. I prefer Linux a lot but also Windows for its large programs availability.

By the way, I'm thinking about make a new OS myself...
noliver
I also have both installed and I think that sometimes you have to figure out which OS does the best job for you. For instance _ I do a lot of translations and the translation tools in Linux are far better than the windows ones. So sometimes it depends on the application as well - not only the OS.

Cheers,
Nick.
@ssassin
i have windows & linux dual boot & mostly use winxp.
like a lot of ppl, i'd say linux is better for servers, not too user-friendly & not for home use. & i think this is why even though linux is more stable, it isnt widely used yet. may be its time the linux developers should think abt developing a more user-friendly linux for home users.
dcshoes23
I use Windows XP Pro because it is what most people use and what most programs for an average user are written for. I like linux and all but games and other programs don't work on it. Also my school and work use windows so I might as well stay the same. Another thing is that if you're buying a computer prebuilt or a laptop chances are it's coming bundled with windows. So you might as well use it since you paid for it.
kimia
progman89 wrote:
I think Linux is the best OS, however, I use Windows because it's the most widely used and accepted OS.

i agree you.
but the most important thing is that linux is open source.
and is advancing very fast.
it's got a very beutiful user interface.
also with wine you can run windows programs under linux.
but linux has very softwares that they make you needless from windows softwares.
Bluszczyk
on my computer... the resoluteness Windows...
I do not know to serve linux
Ranfaroth
@ssassin wrote:
may be its time the linux developers should think abt developing a more user-friendly linux for home users.
It's already done for 2 or 3 years.
Maybe its time for you to try a user-friendly linux distrib, to realise by yourself how they're much more easy to use than Windows™ Rolling Eyes
nunosilva
I agree with Ranfaroth! there are, at least three desktops that are a lot of userfriendly:

- kde
- gnome
- icewm

I used to have icewm because it was a lightweight desktop, now that I have a better pc I use kde that is very configurable(all of them are!!)

apart of that, there are distros that could be more easier to install. mandrake is pretty easy to install and gentoo... very complete to install, very detailed, very challenging. you can also go for livecd's you don't have to install on your pc, if you like it, than install it. like ubuntu...
gamo
billgertz wrote:

I had to reinstall everything on my computer, luckily I had backed up recently, and so I didn't lose much, so far ive just reinstalled XP.

But that also means that I cant get the screenshots untils I reinstall a distro of Linux, but im not sure which version im gonna install now, cause im thinking of getting one different than SuSE
devspirit
linux or windows, the eternal question,
everyone has his own idea, but in the reality, what is going on, is linux able to fight windows,

now as user of both system, i could say that linux is good (secure, strong,....) , but windows is more commercial (games, encylopaedias, ... )
devspirit
so its our needs in wich depend the answer,
ashok
both windows and linux
mars
both.I use windows xp and fedora 4 .
hehe Very Happy
nntien
Hi!
There are many OS, each has a private convenience!
I like Win&Linux.
There are many programs run on both, I learn many things from them
Linux run some new software. I use Windows OS to play Games!
Have a nice day!
ninacax
I have Windows on my computer, I had experience with Linux at UNI, I didn't dislike it but I'm very conforttable with my Windows.
codegeek
I have Windows 7 and Windows 8 on a dual boot. I have yet to get used to Windows 8. However, I needed it for developing Windows store apps. I think when I have everything installed and working on Windows 8, I will remove Windows 7 and put Ubuntu on dual boot with Windows 8.
wheelloader
I have both in my laptop, linux is still not good enough for daily use in my amd brazos. lack of driver and get ruin every update OS. Crying or Very sad
I use linuxmint now
pravojednostavno
I have Windows 7 on my computer.
chatchat
Yes, most people think that Linux is better than Windows, but I cann't use Linux.