FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Democrats? Liberals? Do you EXIST here?

hayley
After looking over the posts in all sorts of threads in the forums, I feel that my kind is a dying breed... maybe not dying but wholly underrepresented in this community. This is a shout out to all the people who feel where I'm coming from. I'd like you to post to let me know I'm not alone. Maybe even express a little something about yourself and how long you've been interested in politics? Maybe even a short blurb about politics? I don't really care. I'm starving to hear something politically intelligent.
angelo
I'm not that interested in politics. Honestly, politics here in our country isn't good! I'm a democrat. The government should be for the people, with the people and by the people. The power should be in us and not solely by the president.
Jayfarer
No, not alone. My Frih site is even the work-in-progress page for my school's Democrat club. I stay out of most political threads because, really, it seems to get unreasonably hateful within a couple of posts. It just seems more vicious than it needs to be, like it's less about the issues or beliefs, and more about pissing off the other side with flame bait.

But, yeah, Democrat all the way. Funnily enough, the ad at the bottom of the page is for a site called "The vast right-wing conspiracy"
Soltair
Aaah! Here we have something interesting.

I like politics a lot. The actual campaign in Canada gives me a few things to look at...

Not that I am deeply Liberal, but there is something to understand in Canada. There are four main parties, for those of you who do not know (I can just give you the short names as I do not know the names in english): NPD, BQ, PLC, PCC. NPD is a left party. They work for environment, education, social measures. PLC barely lead the debates, their measures are changing, but it is generally center. PCC are more right, they talk about anti-missile shield, no to homosexual wedding, and so on and so forth. And finally, BQ. These come directly from Quebec to prone separatism. What you must know is that about 50% of people in Quebec would like to separate from Canada... this has been a hot debate for many years, we already had two referendums... And a third one to maybe come. I'm not for separation...

Which of the four parties would I like to see? Well, it might be interesting to see how NPD would do. But they do not seem very organised, and voting for them is granting victory to the PCC. PCC? No... I don't like their ideas. BQ? NEVER! Anyway they're just represented in Quebec, and I hope someday they'll get a bit lesson and loose half of their counties. So who's left? PLC... And these are openly criticized. So the technique is to vote Liberal to prevent PCC to gain power... That's overally it.

But I definitely prefer left politics (without excess of course).
S3nd K3ys
hi.

Wink

I'm sure we'll talk later.
SunburnedCactus
I was wondering how long this thread would go before that happened. Very Happy
S3nd K3ys
SunburnedCactus wrote:
I was wondering how long this thread would go before that happened. Very Happy

Sorry, I got in late this morning.
shr3dd
Don't get S3nd all riled up, we need him for the World News forum to carry on the good fight against liberals.
schudder
Well, I used to get involved in a lot of political and religious debates on forums. But in the end, I just noticed that 80% of the people I was talking to was fanatically opposed to me.

Anywho, I'm not an American, so I can't tell you exactely what I'd be on the American scale, but I'm pretty sure I'd be a Democrat. In Belgian terms I'm probably a right-of-center liberal (liberals in the US definition aren't "real" liberals) or a moderate Flemish Nationalists, but that's beside the point Razz
nimbuscogitare
I am not liberal democrat or republican or any other party you can think of, not in my mind at least. I view them the same way that I view religions, all imperfect. It deeply bothers me to see the way that all the parties go back and forth against each other, not just the republicans. There does seem to me to be truth to your statement here on frihost, but I believe that is mostly because the people we have that consider themselves republican are unusually vocal in their opinions. Why do we a people try to depreciate the ideas of our opposition instead of trying to have an honest debate? Why do we consider ourselves to have the only right solution to problems? If it truly was the perfect solution would it not be obvious to all? And if not perfect, if it is simply the better of two evils, then too should it not be something that can be definitively proven? I learned long ago that yelling at someone when you are having disagreement doesn't make them want to listen to your side of the story, it will usually just make them angry. Reading the insulting articles written from the many points of view reminds me of bullies on the playground arguing over whose dad can beat up whose. It makes me wonder how we got so childish. Let me hear your thoughts not your insults, please.

Take it all in before you tear it all down.
SunburnedCactus
nimbuscogitare wrote:
It makes me wonder how we got so childish. Let me hear your thoughts not your insults, please.

But if you have no opinion on it, why do you care what other people think?
eqfan
angelo wrote:
I'm not that interested in politics. Honestly, politics here in our country isn't good! I'm a democrat. The government should be for the people, with the people and by the people. The power should be in us and not solely by the president.

THX,same here
nimbuscogitare
It isn't that I have no opinions, it is in fact quite to the contrary. I care about other opinions because I know I am not omnipotent things I believe to be true may infact be distorted or even completely false. I try to keep my mind open to what you, he, she, or they may believe. I don't want to be one of the fanatics, regurgitating what I was told by another fanatic, or latching onto any one idea with such grip that I am blind to a better path and unwilling to release my view. On the other end of the spectrum, if I do not listen to the opinions of others I would have little chance of convincing them of my own. We do can not become more than we are by trying to remain the same. I have found myself in the wrong far to often to say I am right. Mind you, this doesn't mean a person can tell me something and I will suddenly change my thoughts on it, what it means is that I will look into it. I will research it, seek out the wisdom of my peers and elders, try to know for myself. I want to hear what is said because I want more than my own take on things. Does that put your wonder to rest?

Take it all in before you tear it all down.
Kyle Katarn
The way I see it, they are all messed up. Democrats, Republicans, whatever. When I look at politics, I try to look at the person, not the party. If I was looking for parties, I'd go the bar.
benwhite
While both are imperfect, in a de-facto two party system, you have to choose.

The problem with voting for the person is that the person doesn't act alone. They have a party agenda. Lots of women who were pro-choice voted for Bush because they thought he was a 'sincere' man. Oops, now we're a justice or two closer to that mistake.

There are big ideological differences between the parties. Being democratic or republican doesn't mean you love them and all they do, it means your own beliefs for how the country should be run line up closer with one or the other. Gore is a robot and Kerry might be a flip-flopper, but I'd still vote for both any day of the week.

It's a shame that in a electoral system like we have that other parties can't get involved. You see Green parties as part of governing coalitions in places like Canada and Germany. Can you imagine Nader, Bush, and Gore all running the country together by consensus, instead of just one or the other? It'd be interesting.

Most of the political threads here are incredibly intolerent. Moreover, most posts have no backup and are often morally revolting and factually
incorrect. People can think what they want about terrorists, Islam, or the right to vote, but unfortunately, most seem unable to make a coherent argument for any trash they want to spout.
hayley
benwhite wrote:
Being democratic or republican doesn't mean you love them and all they do, it means your own beliefs for how the country should be run line up closer with one or the other.

Thank you. Exactly.
adwya
i think no democracy in egypt Rolling Eyes
KoDEe
adwya wrote:
i think no democracy in egypt Rolling Eyes
Can you do anything you want or what, im just wondering. Can you do what you want when you want, and go where you want when you want?
Shade of Blue
Although I don't agree with every platform of the Democratic party, and while I could possibly be open to a Republican candidate if he/she were better suited than the Democrat, I would definitely consider myself a liberal.

I mean, I'm a jazz musician, for God's sake. Wink

However, it doesn't really matter much at this point, considering that I'm only 17.

I don't get into many political discussions, especially not online, because there's really no point. Most of the people I'd be discussing with would probably be hardcore idealogues who would just repeat the same thing over and over without listening. So it seems like it would be a waste of time. I used to, and it was.

Besides, I'm not really well-educated or well-spoken enough to argue with a good arguer/persuasive speaker, regardless of whether I know I'm right.