FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tips I have had success with...

ewfdemon
Here are some of the most important things to consider when designing. Keep in mind these are general, some might not apply depending on the type of site or content you have.

1. Keep things simple. People don't stay on websites the have confusing navigation. Menus have become pretty common. If you have more than, say, 6-7 places to go within your site, have a site map available.

2. Don't sacrifice speed for a flashy looking site. People will go elsewhere if it takes more than 10 seconds to load a page everytime they go to one. slick sites are nice, optimize graphics and learn how to make fast loading graphics. Slicing is very usefull. Also, image sizes should be consistent if you display art and stuff.

3. Learn to build from your head. Stay away from the typical cookie cutter WYSIWYG editors and builders like AOL and such. If you like drag and drop and are building without PHP, I recommend NetObjects Fusion. www.netobjects.com has demos.

More to come...
Squeeky
Nice....

Few things I don't agree with.

Quote:
slick sites are nice, optimize graphics and learn how to make fast loading graphics. Slicing is very usefull. Also, image sizes should be consistent if you display art and stuff.

It is nice to have variety, clean designs are nice with simple graphics and in this modern world you dont have to keep things down to 100kb!!

Quote:

3. Learn to build from your head. Stay away from the typical cookie cutter WYSIWYG editors and builders like AOL and such. If you like drag and drop and are building without PHP, I recommend NetObjects Fusion. www.netobjects.com has demos.

Usually, typing up a whole site with code is frustrating and hard. You don't have easy access to visuals etc. And it is always easy to be able to see what your doing, not just a pile of complicated code!!!!

Im not saying your wrong but I also think your not giving wide comments for an open audience.
djclue917
Squeeky wrote:
Nice....

Few things I don't agree with.

Quote:
slick sites are nice, optimize graphics and learn how to make fast loading graphics. Slicing is very usefull. Also, image sizes should be consistent if you display art and stuff.

It is nice to have variety, clean designs are nice with simple graphics and in this modern world you dont have to keep things down to 100kb!!

Quote:

Usually, typing up a whole site with code is frustrating and hard. You don't have easy access to visuals etc. And it is always easy to be able to see what your doing, not just a pile of complicated code!!!!

Im not saying your wrong but I also think your not giving wide comments for an open audience.

I have to disagree. The web is still the web. Not all web users have DSL or T1 connections and many are still using dial-up. Also, it would be better to limit the bandwidth usage of your site because it will benefit the client, the server, and many others that are linked in the Internet.

It's better to build a nice website that doesn't eat up too much bandwidth. A website like that would be a very nice site to visit.
riv_
I think that a simple, not-too-flashy site is more user friendly... not just faster.
Not every internet user is a geek like us.
People who build web sites often forget that the average internet user barely knows how to turn on their computer, and a look at literacy rates gives us a good indicator of how much information is too much.
People want to find what they're looking for, fast. Extraneous flash, graphics and even unnecessary text just distracts, confuses and frustrates the audience... nevermind slowing down your page.
...In my humble opinion...
cheeta
hay the fusion9 software isnt free or rather it dont have any trial option... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
paul_indo
Quote:

I don't understand what you mean by this?

If you load the page in your browser when the first body item is written you can refresh the browser to keep an eye on what you are creating step by step.

I always use this method. I can lay out my code manually so it is neat and organised in a consistent way. This means that when I want to edit it in the future I can instantly find the part of the page I want to change.

It is just much more satisfying for me to see lines of typed code transform into a nice page, reather than paste it together with some Web building programme

There is also one real advantage. I have found that many programme created pages view differently in different browsers so I view all my pages in Firefox, Opera and IE so I can fine tune them to ensure that everything works consistently in all these browsers.
ewfdemon
Seeing what you are doing is important, I agree there. That's why I use Fusion over any other editors/building software that I've tried out. You can see what you are doing. The main reason I mentioned it is that it is extremely easy to use and produces great results. DreamWeaver is comperable, but for reasons to detailed to get into here, I prefer Fusion. And the reason I like to keep loading quick isn't necessarily to accomodate slow connections...it's to reduce viewer frustration. People use the net expecting quick results and when they don't get them, they dump out and move on to a different site.
Stella Vibes
Personally I really really really Don't like looking at plain code too much
I guess its a side effect from programing in basic,c+, and Visual Basic, once i got on visual basic i got tired of looking at plain code too much i rather have something i can drag and drop then edit coding wise after i get all the beginning stuff out the way. (Ex: Tables, different sectuion(not frames).)
GB
Squeeky wrote:

Quote:

I don't think that Squeeky is saying not to use WYSIWYG editors, just make sure you don't use cookie-cutter-looks-like-everybody-else designs. You can layout webpages programs like GoLive and Dreamweaver. That way you see what they look like through the whole process without looking at raw code all the time.
Squeeky
GB wrote:

I don't think that Squeeky is saying not to use WYSIWYG editors, just make sure you don't use cookie-cutter-looks-like-everybody-else designs. You can layout webpages programs like GoLive and Dreamweaver. That way you see what they look like through the whole process without looking at raw code all the time.

I didn't say not to use WYSIWYG editors, i said they are better than code...

Question Question Question