FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


I Need distributed Operating System





nam_siddharth
Ocalhoun wrote:
Post subject: is mutiple login in windows XP simultaneously possible?
You may try running a powerfull linux server that is running virtual machines with winXP in them.
Linux allows the kind of logins you want (that's the reason for the whole mount/unmount thing)
User logs into the linux server, server asigns them a virtual machine to use.


From the above quote, it apears that Windows XP can be used as a virtual machine on Linux servers. If anybody can help me in this new thread, then It will be revolution for my "Cyber Cafe", because most of Cyber Cafe users are not familliar with Linux OS. I can run Linux as Base Operaring System and Windows XP as Virtual Machine.

I have heard about Unix (base of Linux) is a Distributed Operating System. In Distributed Opering System, OS uses resourses of all terminals togather. Thus it will increase over all performance of a Network Dramatically.

Is in reallity possible to use resourses of different terminal jointly. If yes, then which Linux will be better for this perpose.

Other solutions are also welcome for this this purpose.

Note: Here Resorses mean RAM, CPU and Hard Disk
keskinsoy
For cyber cafe linux also suitable. I do not know your costumers need .If you are planning to use Linux because of money. It is worth and If you install mandrake linux which is very similar to windows xp. http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29 you can find the program.


nam_siddharth wrote:
Ocalhoun wrote:
Post subject: is mutiple login in windows XP simultaneously possible?
You may try running a powerfull linux server that is running virtual machines with winXP in them.
Linux allows the kind of logins you want (that's the reason for the whole mount/unmount thing)
User logs into the linux server, server asigns them a virtual machine to use.


From the above quote, it apears that Windows XP can be used as a virtual machine on Linux servers. If anybody can help me in this new thread, then It will be revolution for my "Cyber Cafe", because most of Cyber Cafe users are not familliar with Linux OS. I can run Linux as Base Operaring System and Windows XP as Virtual Machine.

I have heard about Unix (base of Linux) is a Distributed Operating System. In Distributed Opering System, OS uses resourses of all terminals togather. Thus it will increase over all performance of a Network Dramatically.

Is in reallity possible to use resourses of different terminal jointly. If yes, then which Linux will be better for this perpose.

Other solutions are also welcome for this this purpose.

Note: Here Resorses mean RAM, CPU and Hard Disk
nam_siddharth
I am asking for food, you are providing me wine. Laughing

keskinsoy wrote:
For cyber cafe linux also suitable. I do not know your costumers need .If you are planning to use Linux because of money. It is worth and If you install mandrake linux which is very similar to windows xp. http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29 you can find the program.


I was never asking whether linux is suitable for me or not. I was asking, how to use combined resoures of Network computers.

Please do not post again in any of my thread. Embarassed Evil or Very Mad
toughtrio
I personally think that you should use Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for your Cafe as it provides the best handling and ease of use.
Its your choice, however, to use a Mandrake Linux also, but do remember that the purpose for which you use Linux is:

1) Just simple faster network connection.
Linux is not the only best place to look for a faster network connection.

There are many other possibilities by which you can enhance your Cafe.

hope this solves your problem.

Kind Regards,
Abdul Basit
djclue917
nam_siddharth wrote:
Ocalhoun wrote:
Post subject: is mutiple login in windows XP simultaneously possible?
You may try running a powerfull linux server that is running virtual machines with winXP in them.
Linux allows the kind of logins you want (that's the reason for the whole mount/unmount thing)
User logs into the linux server, server asigns them a virtual machine to use.


From the above quote, it apears that Windows XP can be used as a virtual machine on Linux servers. If anybody can help me in this new thread, then It will be revolution for my "Cyber Cafe", because most of Cyber Cafe users are not familliar with Linux OS. I can run Linux as Base Operaring System and Windows XP as Virtual Machine.

I have heard about Unix (base of Linux) is a Distributed Operating System. In Distributed Opering System, OS uses resourses of all terminals togather. Thus it will increase over all performance of a Network Dramatically.

Is in reallity possible to use resourses of different terminal jointly. If yes, then which Linux will be better for this perpose.

Other solutions are also welcome for this this purpose.

Note: Here Resorses mean RAM, CPU and Hard Disk


Yes it is very possible. It is like making a RAID array of HDDs, but in this sense, whole computers. Just look at what Google did. They linked several tens of thousands of computer to come up with a network of computers with supercomputer capabilities.

However, they used FOSS tools like Linux and many other. I bet you could also do that in your CyberCafe although I am not really familiar with virtual machines and stuff. But I hope that these information would shed light into your ideas. Good luck! Smile
djclue917
toughtrio wrote:
I personally think that you should use Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for your Cafe as it provides the best handling and ease of use.
Its your choice, however, to use a Mandrake Linux also, but do remember that the purpose for which you use Linux is:

1) Just simple faster network connection.
Linux is not the only best place to look for a faster network connection.

There are many other possibilities by which you can enhance your Cafe.

hope this solves your problem.

Kind Regards,
Abdul Basit


toughtrio wrote:
I personally think that you should use Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for your Cafe as it provides the best handling and ease of use.
Its your choice, however, to use a Mandrake Linux also, but do remember that the purpose for which you use Linux is:

1) Just simple faster network connection.
Linux is not the only best place to look for a faster network connection.

There are many other possibilities by which you can enhance your Cafe.

hope this solves your problem.

Kind Regards,
Abdul Basit


I disagree. If you are wanting to put up a server then just go for Linux. No questions asked. That is why almost all servers are running Linux. And besides nam_siddharth said that he would be using Linux on the server and Windows on the terminals.
futurcat
Are you planning to go for thin client, to save money buying cheap hardware?

Or maybe you already have the PCs and want to combine them?

In any case, I agree that Linux for servers is a good choice. Problem is that if you are the one Manning those, you need Linux skills obviously...

To me maintenance is typically bigger impact on Total Cost of Ownership than license. If you know how to manage Windows go for 2008 r2. If you don't, hire a system administrator
futurcat
futurcat wrote:
Are you planning to go for thin client, to save money buying cheap hardware?

Or maybe you already have the PCs and want to combine them?

In any case, I agree that Linux for servers is a good choice. Problem is that if you are the one Manning those, you need Linux skills obviously...

To me maintenance is typically bigger impact on Total Cost of Ownership than license. If you know how to manage Windows go for 2008 r2. If you don't, hire a system administrator


my message was cut. I wanted to say ... Hire a system administrator that will assess you on that based on you're exact needs and his/her experience.
jdelfire
futurcat wrote:
Are you planning to go for thin client, to save money buying cheap hardware?

Or maybe you already have the PCs and want to combine them?

In any case, I agree that Linux for servers is a good choice. Problem is that if you are the one Manning those, you need Linux skills obviously...

To me maintenance is typically bigger impact on Total Cost of Ownership than license. If you know how to manage Windows go for 2008 r2. If you don't, hire a system administrator


reviving an old post...

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:16 pm
Related topics
What is your operating system?
Creating a new Operating System
FreeBSD-also a good operating system
blackhawk [microsfot new server operating system but...
Windows XP the best?
What operating system do you use?
sticking "Creating a new Operating System"
how to create an operating system?
The Singularity Operating System
BlueFeather Operating System
PocketPC Operating System change
Why do you use your current operating system?
Best Operating System
which server operating system?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.