FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What Is The Best Rpg You Have Ever Played, RPG=role playing

galaxy68
i have played many RPG's in my time and hands down i would have to say Dark Age of Camelot was the best one i ever played, now im curious to see what everyone else thinks the best RPG ever made was
xray757
Baldurs Gate 1 with some friends as a network party. It's just so fun to play with some good friends together.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Final Fantasy Tactics (if you can count this as RPG). That's the best!!!!
SilverDogg
i would have to go with seiken densetsu 2, or secret of mana which is its western name. i love that game ^_^. the music, the graphics, the story! everything is wonderful.

runner-up: final fantasy 3/6. the only final fantasy i can really recommend =).
JaeCee
Dusted off my PSX lately, some of the best RPGs were there.
Currently playin Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana and Final Fantasy Tactics (gonna take a while.)

Also gonna play FF9 again sometime soon. Squaresoft ftw.
Vader
Has anybody played Star Wars: Knights of the old republic (I andII)?
It's a great game, and the story is fantastic.
Neverwinter Nights is a great D&D FOrgotten realms game (I can't wait for NWN 2!!!)
The Icewind Dale series is great, and the baldur's gate series is not far back.
The best MMORPG (massive multiplayer online rpg) as far as I am concerned is Star Wars Galaxies, but World of Warcraft is not bad too
Josso
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction Laughing. Always end up going back to it after nearly 6 years!
Hobbad
Tie between Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, and the original Final Fantasy for the NES, which I have by the way and still play. ^_<
Hanpusu-kun
Hum...
well, i suppose that Zelda is counted as an RPG?

Else Phantasy Star (the whole series) is very good.
H3LL5P4WN
World of Warcraft

I have no freetime for anything else. Laughing
rip8fan1
I can't choose just one - there are way too many good ones.

Diablo II
Baldur's Gate I and II
Icewind Dale I and II
Knights of the Old Republic I and II
Might and Magic
The Elder Scrolls
Wizardry
Neverwinter Nights
Ultima
Bard's Tale
Fallout
Wasteland
Pool of Radiance
Planescape: Torment
Septerra Core
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura
Summoner
Dungeon Siege
Temple of Elemental Evil

But Diablo II has taken up a lot of my time in the last few years - more than any other game.
Monkeydog
Hanpusu-kun wrote:

well, i suppose that Zelda is counted as an RPG?

NO!!!

Chrono Trigger, for sure. FFVI(FFIIIe SNES) would be close behind...then Morrowind...

other favourites...FFT, FFIX, Diablo 2, Bahumut Lagoon, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG:Legend of the Seven Stars, Chrono Cross...others...
Revvion
Neverwinter Nights
Zelde the orica of time
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 1
Final Fantasy 2
World of Warcraft
SilverDogg
the legend of zelda is not rpg (maybe besides zelda 2), but adventure!

i thought most people knew this now? ;P
Billwaa
The Best one I ever played is CrossGate. It's cool how you have jobs and can catch creative and use them to battle. But now, the free server is too crowed with people so I don't play anymore
Hanpusu-kun
SilverDogg wrote:
the legend of zelda is not rpg (maybe besides zelda 2), but adventure!

i thought most people knew this now? ;P

:/
wtf, an magazine wrote that is was a RPG/Adventure game but wtf!

Phantasy Star series ftw!
luxtu
my fav rpg game is planescape torment. it was first rpg game what I finished in 100% Wink
jarcelao
definitely the best RPG of all time is the elder scrolls series....

also dont forget the baldur's gate series...

the underrated Gothic series...

the best storyline RPG ever... Planescape : Torment

the critically acclaimed Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

and last but not the least.. the revolutionary Fallout series...

phew! Very Happy Cool
votd
I hate PC RPGs so I count - all Final Fantasies (I - X-2) I'm not counting XI, I never played and otherwise - it's pure MMORPG. Also I played Chrono Trigger, Cross and many Zeldas (they are like semi-action-rpg). Well and many other - Alundra 2 and some more.
Kangur
Wordl of Warcraft
Neverwinter Nights
Sacred
Diablo II
althalus
I would concider Zelda III an RPG.... It's not all in the experience/stats. Sure it's a rather narrow RPG, as such, but... That's my opinion.

WoW is rather nice, although I haven't taken enough time to play it much lately... Final Fantasy 3/6 is the best to the SNES. And hmm, I've played a few fan-translated FF games (4 and 5) and they were alright.

Neverwinter Nights is pretty cool too, but I never really got into it. Pretty cool in multiplayer. Smile
cheatonmaps
the elder scrolls series is by far the best rpg i have played.[/quote]
mariohs
Hobbad wrote:
Tie between Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, and the original Final Fantasy for the NES, which I have by the way and still play. ^_<

Yeah, I agree something like 80% with you...

The best one with no doubts for me is Chrono Trigger, the best game playing, the best story, the best characters Very Happy

Mario RPG also rocks, I bet 90% of the players like to use the toadstool princess because of her "phoenix" ability Very Happy

Final Fantasy... oh yeah... final fantasy... I love the FF3 for the snes, the one with terra, locke, celes, cyan, sabin, edgar, banon, sasquash, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,... so many characters...

good old times...
naz
For me its Diablo 2 , never was so addicted with a game and played it that long. Haven't found a game that was so good...
Marston
EarthBound, for the SNES.
Alienz
Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 8 and Diablo series.
Kelcey
Xenogears is by far my favorite rpg and favorite game.
Jayfarer
Chrono Trigger.
kany
Final Fantasy.
iridios
Gah! None of you would know a true RPG if it bit you. Real RPGs are played with paper and pencil at a table with friends.

My favorite are
Shadowrun
Mechwarrior
AD&D 3rd ed.
Twilight 2k
dzo
Neverwinter Nights
Morrowind
Tales of symphonia

Pretty soon all to be blown out of the water by Oblivion
alkady
The best RPG I ever played was Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts, I know Final Fantasy XII will be way better with all the war machines cgi, th esky pirates while Kingdom Hearts II will be as good.
Destructino
Hmm... i have a couple :

X-box = Fable

Ps2 = Baldurs gate 1 / final fantasy x

Pc = World of warcraft

My all time fave is fable Very Happy
hanay
Supermario RPG all the way! (I hate final fantasy)
Monkeydog
hanay wrote:
Supermario RPG all the way! (I hate final fantasy)

Final Fantasy, escpecially ever since it left Nintendo, is the epiphany of overrated mediocore RPGs.
benwhite
I loved FFVI, but I might be inclined to say FFVII. Maybe because it was the first with such an expansive story. I wasn't a bit fan of the 3D back then, but the summoms were impressive. But it was certainly the longest most enjoyabke -experience- of the day. And I do mean experience. A lot of us got really involved in the universe with that one.

If you count action rpg, I might also say Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. Absolute classic in every way.
5C1
best game i ever play?
final fantasy series
Hanpusu-kun
Seiken dentetsu III is very good (is it spelled like that?)
Final Fantasy 3/6 is also a favorite

and Final Fantasy VII (<3 Cloud) X3333
Lorre
I must agree that Seiken Densetsu 3 is a-ma-zing.
Actually, I'm into that few-bit games.

Even played the MMORPG Dark Ages (Nexon/Kru Inc.) for yeeaaaars on end because of the highly developed political and religious system.
The games that got me caught up the most, however, were
Baldur's gate II, and perhaps Everquest.
Jayfarer
iridios wrote:
Gah! None of you would know a true RPG if it bit you. Real RPGs are played with paper and pencil at a table with friends.

My favorite are
Shadowrun
Mechwarrior
AD&D 3rd ed.
Twilight 2k

You mean traditional RPGs. Everything people have listed are still "real" RPGs, they're just different kinds that were derived from pen & paper RPGs. I dont know why you're trying to take away the genre.
Alein_Atryda_III
There's no AD&D 3rd edition... As far as I know:P They went back to D&D name. Personally I think AD&D 2nd edition is much better than 3rd.

As for computer RPG's - Baldurs Gate 2 and Eye of the beholder.

On consoles best was .hack series(even though it was just action RPG).
Remzo
World of Warcraft.

The best free one for PC would be Kalonline I would say Smile
benwhite
I prefered Secret of Mana to SD3. While I liked SD3 versatility and classes, I found SOM's control tighter and its story much more developed. SD3 lost this to the fact that each character had few specific scenes. To me, there was too much backtracking and repetition. That said, loved both games, including FFA. SOM steals my heart though, I had almost forgotten.

Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger are two of my favorite games. I also enjoyed chrono cross, but not nearly as much as CT. No game was as big and real as CT back then.
bkatz
Final Fantasy VII by far: I know the graphics sucked, but I loved the story, and the music was awesome. Best FF game out there, after 7 they just started going downhill, now the storys dont make any sense at all =S
Hanpusu-kun
bkatz wrote:
Final Fantasy VII by far: I know the graphics sucked, but I loved the story, and the music was awesome. Best FF game out there, after 7 they just started going downhill, now the storys dont make any sense at all =S

Who said that graphics make the hole game?
Remember Pong, youngster ;P?
TeK
It would be Xenosaga if the cut schenes weren't so long Mad. So I'd say Chrono Trigger.
bassgs_17
My favorites include Morrowind, Legend of Zelda, and Knights of the Old Republic. I'm new to the PC RPG scene, as I just built a decent gaming pc, so I'll be sure to buy Oblivion when it comes out. RPG's Rock!
-Aquastrike, master of AR
Vrythramax
Forgive me for being old-school and maybe behind the time....but I still prefer the original AD&D. But I would be more than willing to try something new if anyone here can steer me in the right direction.

Thanxs
jozsi1983
H3LL5P4WN wrote:
World of Warcraft

I have no freetime for anything else. Laughing

I agree with you. I have no time for anything else and its the bomb diggitty.
Dorsk82
I got to give a knod here to Morrowind, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy Tactics and Knights of the Old Republic.

Specifically KotoR has quite possibly the best most engaging and entertaining story I have ever played through. It is the only RPG in recent memory I actually restarted right after I finished just to go through and see the story from a different side!!
sgwreviews
Must be The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
but when it is online RPG I'd say Project Entropia
trickstott
Planescape: Torment is possibly the best RPG ever made. It uses graphics that were stylish enough to not go out of date, and its mechanics and storyline still hold together and aren't cliche after, what?, ten years.

After that I move to the original Fallout.

If you are looking for a less storyline focused, more character building RPG, give Wizardy 8 a try.
Boles Roor
Tales of Symphonia is my favorite so far.
bassgs_17
Super Mario RPG is alright, as it's pretty unique, but I have been really pleased with Legend of the Dragoon and Final Fantasty 1-3 as well. Say, did anyone here ever play Realms of Despair at game.org?
-Aquastrike
Josso
Definatly Diablo II
darkdante
Neverwinter Nights is a great D&D FOrgotten realms game (I can't wait for NWN 2!!!)
The best MMORPG (massive multiplayer online rpg) as far as I am concerned is Star Wars Galaxies, but World of Warcraft is not bad too
Peep
Difficult.
MMORPG : World Of Warcraft
RPG : Final Fantasy.
sgwreviews
darkdante wrote:

I have played KOTOR 1, a great game to, but it isn't as wide as Morrowind is, but still KOTOR is great.
Maximus
ZELDA!!!
but i am looking forward to oblivion. i think that must be an great game
babcon
I really appreciate the old books of AD&D, GURPS, ShadowRun and mutch more...

But whem Im far from my friends, I prefer Neverwinter Ninghts and Lineage...

And, for non "real" RPG, the best of the games is play On-Line...
masterevil
Arcanum and Fallout of course.
There was no, there is no, there will be no better games.
LordSata
In these order:

Neverwinter Nights
Morrowind + BloodMoon + Tribunal
Arcanum
Gothic 2
Fable The Lost Chapter
Divine Divinity
Vampire The Masquerade Redemption

other other other Very Happy
Tilly
Wow, can't choose just one... here we go

Valkyrie Profile (being rereleased soon as Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth for PSP)
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy Tactics
Chrono Trigger
Suikoden
Suikoden II
the whole Zelda series
Front Mission III
Phantasy Star III
7th Saga

*looks at list* Hrm... Square Enix just plain dominated the top RPGs list. Konami needs to get Suikoden series back to its former glory
Custom
Baldus gate it is a good rpg I ahve completed many a time it is a tad tedious though when you ahve done it that many times if anyone wants any help with it jsut ask I dont bite lol!!!
AzTeK
Final Fantasy 7 - Epic, possibly the best rpg playstation has had.
Chrono Trigger- Amazing SNES rpg, way ahead of it's time.
mota
I love Ultima 9 the best.

If you liked Ultima 7, you will love Ultima 9. [If you hated Ultima 7 because you killed certain NPCs by accident or were pissed at merchants who didnt want to sell you a sword at midnight, you will especially love Ultima 9.] If you did not, youll possibly still love it - because Ultima 9 Ascension combines Ultima 7s complexity, which so many adored, with top-notch 3D technology. I urge everyone else who appreciates a demanding fantasy world with a touch ["touch" is the right word] of serious nature and has at least a bit of an understanding of roleplaying games, to play this impressive epos.
theerawate
I like Star Ocean: The Second Story on PS1.
I play and repeat playing many time.

and Arc the Lad II ,i like ,too.
time_ar
Final Fantasy 6 (Back then)
Guild Wars (right now)

I love them both.
d-hunter
Definitely Warcraft. It's the best RPG game ever. I think World of Warcraft is the best MMO game out there.
Enderwiggin
Best RPG? Hard call, The Zelda games were awesome, as was Knights of the Old Republic and also Fable... Can i say their tied? Neutral I really cant make up my mind, Each of the games has its own good parts... Final Fantasy 7 also fits in there, damn... Too many good RPG's exist for me to make up my mind... There is 1 thing I have decided on though, My favorite MMORPG is World of Warcraft, That much I can decide on, but favorite RPG? Sorry, I cant decide Sad Too many to choose from, I will rank Zelda OOT, Knights of the Old Republic, FAble, and FF7 as #1 Razz
Camidoo
I like the Gothic series, but after Gothic 3 the Game was very bad and the 4 is not good to.
wombatrpgs
Enderwiggin wrote:
Best RPG? Hard call, The Zelda games were awesome, as was Knights of the Old Republic and also Fable... Can i say their tied? Neutral I really cant make up my mind, Each of the games has its own good parts... Final Fantasy 7 also fits in there, damn... Too many good RPG's exist for me to make up my mind... There is 1 thing I have decided on though, My favorite MMORPG is World of Warcraft, That much I can decide on, but favorite RPG? Sorry, I cant decide Sad Too many to choose from, I will rank Zelda OOT, Knights of the Old Republic, FAble, and FF7 as #1 Razz

Haha, Zelda's an RPG?
drunkenkoz
Custom wrote:
Baldus gate it is a good rpg I ahve completed many a time it is a tad tedious though when you ahve done it that many times if anyone wants any help with it jsut ask I dont bite lol!!!

Baldur's Gate was an amazing game. I grew up playing that game along with Diablo, Nox, and Champions of Norrath. You have great taste in role-playing games.
Nameless
'RPG' is a crappy, ill-defined label that could arguably be applied to almost any game that has a plot, and even many without one.

I've never had enough friends to play any pen/paper RPGs. Neverwinter Nights has been the best (of only a few) computer games using similar rulesets, but almost entirely for some of the best player-generated content ... the official campaigns were lacklustre in some areas.

Tales of Symphonia is my most fondly remembered JRPG. Only the first one, though, the sequel was terrible. Golden Sun gets an honorable mention too. There are probably dozens of other close contenders, but I've played too many to really remember most of them, heh.

I love tactical RPGs in general, but wouldn't even known where to begin picking out a favourite. I could tell you some of the more popular games that WOULDN'T be on it (Final Fantasy Tactics was good but not the best, Fire Emblem I wasn't fond of some of the mechanics). I'll always remember Bahamut Lagoon (for the SNES) though, since it was my first in the genre.

Can't think of any major shooter-RPGs I've played. I've played no short of action-RPGs, but that's too broad a category to nail down much. The Legend of Zelda fits here, so I'll just go ahead and throw Majora's Mask down as an excellent example of a living world with active NPCs.

Roguelikes! ADoM juuuuuust pulls out on top, with ToME 2 close behind. Legerdemain is only part-roguelike, but has stronger RPG elements and probably the best atmosphere I've experienced in any game of any genre. And this from a game that YOU PLAY IN ASCII.

Oh yeah, MMORPGs. I've only tried out a few and generally dislike them, but Kingdom of Loathing is hilarious and everybody needs to play it once. And I have the tiniest soft spot for Maple Story, just for the aesthetics.
drunkenkoz
Nameless wrote:
'RPG' is a crappy, ill-defined label that could arguably be applied to almost any game that has a plot, and even many without one.

I've never had enough friends to play any pen/paper RPGs. Neverwinter Nights has been the best (of only a few) computer games using similar rulesets, but almost entirely for some of the best player-generated content ... the official campaigns were lacklustre in some areas.

Tales of Symphonia is my most fondly remembered JRPG. Only the first one, though, the sequel was terrible. Golden Sun gets an honorable mention too. There are probably dozens of other close contenders, but I've played too many to really remember most of them, heh.

I love tactical RPGs in general, but wouldn't even known where to begin picking out a favourite. I could tell you some of the more popular games that WOULDN'T be on it (Final Fantasy Tactics was good but not the best, Fire Emblem I wasn't fond of some of the mechanics). I'll always remember Bahamut Lagoon (for the SNES) though, since it was my first in the genre.

Can't think of any major shooter-RPGs I've played. I've played no short of action-RPGs, but that's too broad a category to nail down much. The Legend of Zelda fits here, so I'll just go ahead and throw Majora's Mask down as an excellent example of a living world with active NPCs.

Roguelikes! ADoM juuuuuust pulls out on top, with ToME 2 close behind. Legerdemain is only part-roguelike, but has stronger RPG elements and probably the best atmosphere I've experienced in any game of any genre. And this from a game that YOU PLAY IN ASCII.

Oh yeah, MMORPGs. I've only tried out a few and generally dislike them, but Kingdom of Loathing is hilarious and everybody needs to play it once. And I have the tiniest soft spot for Maple Story, just for the aesthetics.

If you've never tried a shooter RPG then you should look into GunZ Online. That was an awesome Shooter-RPG that was very popular back in the day that had melee fights along with matrix style gun battles. You could run along walls, do flips, have katana battles, and all sorts of stuff. Pretty good game and you can see it at the main IJJI website, google it.
wombatrpgs
Nameless wrote:

I guess the issue with it mainly is that RPG now refers to a set of games that borrowed their mechanics from tabletop RPGs as opposed to actual "role-playing games." There are very very few videogames with actual roleplaying in the pen-and-paper sense, so I guess it's just safe to assume it applies to game with similar gameplay mechanics? Though if you start throwing story and narrative elements in there, it is way too general and applies to all game with a story.

...also, I'll agree about ADoM being awesome.
drunkenkoz
wombatrpgs wrote:
Nameless wrote:

I guess the issue with it mainly is that RPG now refers to a set of games that borrowed their mechanics from tabletop RPGs as opposed to actual "role-playing games." There are very very few videogames with actual roleplaying in the pen-and-paper sense, so I guess it's just safe to assume it applies to game with similar gameplay mechanics? Though if you start throwing story and narrative elements in there, it is way too general and applies to all game with a story.

...also, I'll agree about ADoM being awesome.

Role-playing games refer to games that allow you to level up, gain items, and achieve other stuff in a sense. A game that offers you a character that you can further evolve into something more. Also referring to a game that offers an adventure and back story to that adventure. I see a lot of games that offer this, you just have to look around.
IceCreamTruck
Monkeydog wrote:
Chrono Trigger

I loved this game, Monkeydog! A small tear came to my eye when I remembered playing it for the first time. I keep revisiting it every once in a while on my phone.

The Secret of Mana, and The Illusion of Gaia deserve an honorable mention.

Zelda: A Link to the Past is possibly the greatest RPG in my opinion. I just installed snesoid on my android phone, and I can bluetooth a wii controller to it and wage the classic battle against Ganon again just like we did on the SNES.

On computer the end all RPG for me is Final Fantasy XI. Why? Real people and real friends, and a spectacular game. I haven't heard any legitimate arguments against it even though I've heard all the final fantasies before it were better a million times. I played the final fantasies before it, and they were cool, but they sucked in comparison to XI, so I don't really understand what's so good about the others that isn't also great about FFXI.

World of Warcraft has no appeal compared to FFXI for me. I like all the dark colors of FFXI and think the bright colors of WOW look too cartoony. I have no doubt that WOW is a complicated mess, loads of fun for those who can stand to play it, and would be fun if FFXI didn't exist, but thankfully FFXI is there if I ever want to go back to it which I may very soon unless they release a new MMORPG.
weableandbob
KoTor, both Mass Effect games, and the first Deus Ex are all really, really, really good. Out of all of them, though, I would probably have to say Deus Ex.
gueda
well, I played a lot of rpg games and the best, just for me are:

Snes: zelda
playstation: final fantasy 7 (epic) and chrono chross

playstation 2: (I don't remember any cool rpg game right now. o_o)

xbox360: fallout 3 and borderlands (both are fps Rpg). I don't know if it is a rpg, but I liked fable II

PC: baldurs gate

Real life: Dungeons & Dragons, D20 system
c'tair
Best: Fallout 1, 2 -- these games rock so hard that they shaped my life, since I played them when I was roughly 10-11 years old. They showed the young child that I was things that a child shouldn't see, things like responsibility, consequences and most of all -- that sometimes you have to make a choice. I haven't played this game in years though, I'm waiting until I forget it sufficiently so that it seems a bit novel when I play it again. It's tough, cause I passed it about 5-7 times and I still remember all the little quirks.

Gothic 1,2 -- really good games. Don't make 'em like that anymore. Even though the graphics weren't the best, the game had a unique plot, unique setting and awesome characters. The way the settlements were created was awesome as well, I still remember playing this game concurrently with my friends and we'd all meet everyday and trade our adventures from The Colony or Khoronis.

Baldurs Gate -- another classic that makes me feel warm inside. Played it quite a few times, the game is really good, I'd say it could be an example for the whole genre of fantasy RPGs.

There are still a few classic RPGs that I plan to play, I even have them ready, just don't have the time to actually have my way with them: Planescape Torment, Arcanum, Divine Divinity and Fable. I've heard of them so many times, but only caught a glimpse or two at a time and I see that they have quite a following.
IceCreamTruck
When I started in video games RPGs were just text and the occasional pixelated splash image. Action and Puzzle games were large pixelated shapes on the screen that you could shoot for action games, and move around for puzzle games!

RPGs were really hard to get into back in those days for some people, and I wish I could remember the titles but they are almost completely lost to me... I need to take the time to remember what I can now and dig up the names before it's really too late to remember.

Can anyone remember the names of the old text RPGs? The ones where some of the used to ask you to pick a number like 1-4 on the keypad for options like attack, escape, talk, or rest? Some of them you actually had to roll dice and enter the numbers in the game.

The definition of "RPG video game" has changed so much since then. The basic principal of living a life that is not your own is still the same, but RPGs today have a lot of action and puzzle mixed in, and they now have the graphics look of action games.

Just in case you are wondering I am a FFXI fan! WOW is just not my thing.
chartcentral
Haven't really tried a lot of RPGs. Among those I like from the few I've played are Shadow Madness and Final Fantasy VIII. Smile
Ankhanu
c'tair wrote:
Best: Fallout 1, 2 -- these games rock so hard that they shaped my life, since I played them when I was roughly 10-11 years old. They showed the young child that I was things that a child shouldn't see, things like responsibility, consequences and most of all -- that sometimes you have to make a choice. I haven't played this game in years though, I'm waiting until I forget it sufficiently so that it seems a bit novel when I play it again. It's tough, cause I passed it about 5-7 times and I still remember all the little quirks.

Gothic 1,2 -- really good games. Don't make 'em like that anymore. Even though the graphics weren't the best, the game had a unique plot, unique setting and awesome characters. The way the settlements were created was awesome as well, I still remember playing this game concurrently with my friends and we'd all meet everyday and trade our adventures from The Colony or Khoronis.

These games shaped the way I looked at RPGs. I mean, I loved games like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and all that on NES and all, but when I got Fallout 2 in 1997ish, it completely changed how I perceived RPGs. All four of these games are expansive, multi-path games... you can play dozens of times and not play the same way twice. The worlds are large, you can go anywhere, any time (with some places blocked until you progress enough in their story arc), though it may not be wise to go everywhere when you're still really squishy Razz, they offered tonnes of dialogue and action options... They were the least linear games I'd ever played, and the freedom they offered was exhilarating Razz

I'd probably add the Knights of the Old Republic games to my top RPGs list. They're more classically linear than the prior four, but still offered a lot of choice, great story and some nice exploration of the Star Wars setting.

Neverwinter Knights was like table top D&D on the computer (kinda), which was pretty sweet.

I forget most of my favorite RPGs as a kid, I had a couple for C64, NES and SNES that were pretty sweet, but I largely forget their names. One surprise awesome game was Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom. My friend and I rented it because nothing else was available and it turned out to be wicked Razz
wombatrpgs
drunkenkoz wrote:

Role-playing games refer to games that allow you to level up, gain items, and achieve other stuff in a sense. A game that offers you a character that you can further evolve into something more. Also referring to a game that offers an adventure and back story to that adventure. I see a lot of games that offer this, you just have to look around.

Uh, that sounds like pretty much every game. I thought you were describing the Metroid series there for a minute.
IceCreamTruck
wombatrpgs wrote:
drunkenkoz wrote:

Uh, that sounds like pretty much every game. I thought you were describing the Metroid series there for a minute.

level up, gain items, and achieve stuff... yup, that's Metroid all right! Either that or it's Starfox! I used to love that game!
drunkenkoz
IceCreamTruck wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:
drunkenkoz wrote:

level up, gain items, and achieve stuff... yup, that's Metroid all right! Either that or it's Starfox! I used to love that game!

All RPG related games can refer to that.
wombatrpgs
drunkenkoz wrote:

All RPG related games can refer to that.

Well, right. The point is that all games in general can refer to that.
Nameless
To be fair, there are quite a few genres that don't generally include any kind of 'level up' mechanics or 'character evolution'. Puzzle games, obviously, but Mario doesn't need to be a richly developed character either.
fangzr1
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction . Razz
Ghost900
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is the best RPG I have ever played, I have over 150 hours in it and have not even started the expansion yet. This game is one of the few games that I can just walk around and not care about getting to the end but just explore the world.

Guild Wars is my favorite online RPG as it is heavily story driven even if it is lacking some of the massive multi-player that other MMO's have.

I am also really looking forward to Guild Wars 2 as well as Skyrim, they both look really amazing.
rayxzero
Suikoden I and II
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX

I hope they put a Suikoden Game again for PS3
wombatrpgs
Yeah, that would be nice... I need to get into some more PS3 RPGs...
Dementei
Not really an RPG, but um.. yea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork.

No but for reals, best RPGs are Fallout 3, Witcher 2, and Oblivion.
AGFil
Final Fantasy 8 / Final Fantasy 10 are my favourites.

10# was the best in the series for me, over 80 hours to complete. It's a longtime for a game, though was worth it for the story.
8# was the first RPG that I played - never was able to complete the end boss... Rolling Eyes
chartcentral
From a guy who hasn't played a lot having played much RPGs, my favorites are Final Fantasy VIII and Shadow Madness. Smile
wombatrpgs
AGFil wrote:
Final Fantasy 8 / Final Fantasy 10 are my favourites.

10# was the best in the series for me, over 80 hours to complete. It's a longtime for a game, though was worth it for the story.
8# was the first RPG that I played - never was able to complete the end boss... Rolling Eyes

Huh, if you're an FF fan, I wonder what you think of FF13? I've been hearing a lot of erm, unflattering things about it.