FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

234 productions

boocherry
any comments on my design?

http://www.boocherry.frih.net/
clogfan
It has nice, attractive graphics and is very simple. Keep it like that as a simple design guarantees a speedy site.
Chris Tiaens
Nice work, it doesn't have to be any more complicated than it is now, congratulations!

However there are three things that bother me:

1: The content is always placed left on top. This isn't a problem in small screens or browserwindows, but in my 19 inch screen it looks quite lonely on the page. You could perhaps centre it?

2: The default grey or blue scrollbar is really ugly... Change it with css!

3: For such a minimalistic page, the text is really crammed in: try to enlarge the line height using css and see if it helps.
littlegiant
Nice banner but it would be nice to see some content to see how it integrates with your design. Also, I think the 234 Productions part of your logo should be darker (or lighter) to set it off from the background and give the whole thing a little more contrast.
Alie
I can tell only one thing - it's VERY simple template. you can add flash elements to your pages without any trouble with opening them in browser.
Oh! By the way, you can make your upper row much bigger because of two reasons:
1. You have not much content on the pages.
2. Bigger Logotype adds an effect of a massive site. It's difficult to explain - just check it and you'll love it! I'm sure!
boocherry
the problem is I dont know how to doe anything. Im a designer at heart.
ocelotweb
Ha you are better off than I am boocherry. I'm neither a writer nor a designer. I guess I lack the technical and the vision to make a website. It's just not going to good on my part. Javascript, PHP, all that mess is so hard to learn.The tutorial for Javascript at Javascriptkit.com is some pretty confusing stuff. I know how to make little alerts now though hahaha I think I'll make a dummy page where if anyone clicks on it, they will have to click on something 1000 times... that would make me feel better. Smile But yeah I like how the navigation is like embedded in an image. I haven't been able to figure that out. It says that it's a gif file but I don't know. It must be done with photoshop, or frontpage or something. Like a cutting pictures kinda deal I hear about. But yeah some more content would be good.
boocherry
I redesigned to make it even simpler. What do you think.
littlegiant
Very nice! What a big improvement! It would be nice if the outer container could extend down to the bottom of the browser viewport in 1024 x 768 resolution or maybe just vertically center the whole thing or something like that. But nonetheless, very nice.
boocherry
I changed it again.
It is an all image website and I was wondering how fast it loads for people.
Marston
boocherry wrote:
I changed it again.
Loads real fast for me. Usually I avoid image sites like I'd avoid the plague, but this is actually a really nice design. Despite the fact that it could be easily replicated with html, I like it. Smile Good job!
boocherry
I suck at coding and avoid it when ever possible.
littlegiant
Quote:
I changed it again.

24 seconds on 56K dialup. (Yes I'm still on dialup. You may commence rolling on the floor laughing...)
Chris Tiaens
I realy like your redesign, but I persist that you enlarge the line height.
A new thing that bothers me (It is new right? I can't remember to have seen it in your old design) is the 'eXTReMe Tracker' logo. As your page is hosted with frih you're able to use php for site statistics! I beg you not to use such amatheuristic services.
DX-Blog
Center it on the screen, currently your site displays like:
XO
OO

X being your site, O being empty space. They are all somewhat equal since your site uses a res of 800x600 I suppose.

As for the pictures link, you shouldn't make it open a new screen. Opening new screens or tabs should be a choice of the visitor, not on your command.

The looks on itself are nice and basic, something which I like to see in a site, nothing overcomplicated yet still looking nice.

Get rid of that counter though, it doesn't fit the layout. Frihost already offers counter statistics or you could always use invisible counters like statcounter.com if you would want a third party counter.
LukeakaDanish
Hi,

The banner is great...

The brown colour for your title seams maybe a little outside your otherwise elegant colour scheme.

The antialiased text is a little hard to read...use hinting for better results (thats what its called in the GIMP anyway)

Chris Tiaens wrote:
2: The default grey or blue scrollbar is really ugly... Change it with css!

I dont agree! The defaults scrollbar is part of the browser theme and is very anonymous --> elegant. Changing it draws attention to something there is no need to look at and is somewhat overused(?)

I have broadband and it did load rather slowly...probably around 10 seconds...I would suggest changing the content to html/css as this will make for easier and quicker editing/posting. It may take a little time to get it to look good, but once youve done it once itll be an easy copy paste...

You could center align it but i think its ok as it is...and i have a 1280 * 1024 monitor...

Good luck programming/designing!
boocherry
Why center it? To me the center is the most boring place I could put it.
LukeakaDanish
True...and your logo would look less elegant in the middle...keep it as it is...
DX-Blog
boocherry wrote:

With a res of 1600x1200 it looks boring as well the way it is fixed in a corner Wink.

Another option would be to make the site compatible for multiple sizes by working with % values instead of fixed values. This way it would be the same for everybody, just the resolution would differ.
LukeakaDanish
DX-Blog wrote:
boocherry wrote:

With a res of 1600x1200 it looks boring as well the way it is fixed in a corner Wink.

Another option would be to make the site compatible for multiple sizes by working with % values instead of fixed values. This way it would be the same for everybody, just the resolution would differ.

The images would have to be resized (bad) or made to fit a bigger page --> smaller images relative to the page (bad)...especially the nice banner at the right would be very awkward to incorporate into this i could imagine...
DX-Blog
LukeakaDanish wrote:
DX-Blog wrote:
boocherry wrote:

The images would have to be resized (bad) or made to fit a bigger page --> smaller images relative to the page (bad)...especially the nice banner at the right would be very awkward to incorporate into this i could imagine...

Uhm, no... You use a bit of javascript to check the users screen resolution, according to that resolution choose the best fitting.

So basically you get the page in:
800x600
1024x768
1280x960
1600x1200

Seeing as to how that are the most common resolutions. Resolutions which do not match these could either be given the 800x600 resolution page or you could write a function which would check which resolution is closer to it.

In case of this page you could also find another sollution by just setting border images on repeat and such to get the same result, this would create a page which is displayed correctly at any time. The only troublesome image would be the image on the right, but there are always sollutions imaginable to things like that as well. You could give it a repeative trailer in example on both sides.
LukeakaDanish
DX-Blog wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:
DX-Blog wrote:
boocherry wrote:

Uhm, no... You use a bit of javascript to check the users screen resolution, according to that resolution choose the best fitting.

So basically you get the page in:
800x600
1024x768
1280x960
1600x1200

Seeing as to how that are the most common resolutions. Resolutions which do not match these could either be given the 800x600 resolution page or you could write a function which would check which resolution is closer to it.

In case of this page you could also find another sollution by just setting border images on repeat and such to get the same result, this would create a page which is displayed correctly at any time. The only troublesome image would be the image on the right, but there are always sollutions imaginable to things like that as well. You could give it a repeative trailer in example on both sides.

Well of course everything is possible...you could even write some clever PHP script that resamples the images based on the browser resolution. However without complicating matters quite dramatically, i believe this page (note that its made from images only) cant be made to dynamically adjust to screen resolution. You could do a redirect for different resolutions but again this would mean a lot more work. The border thing wont look good as some of the larger resolutions would result in an almost empty page inside the borders...
Tomppe
Really nice and simple. I like the images and the color combinations. Good inspiration!
bliushift
I like the simple site design and I love the bird right next to the date; however, I think you need work on placement. I agree with others that theres too much empty space, but if you want to place it in the corner thats up to you. I do think you should make it open up in a different browser window that is the exact size of your page or use javascript to resize the browser. Also, just right of the text theres a bit of empty space which kinda looks weird. I would suggest to make the navigation a few sizes smaller and place it under your text. (until you have more content) The navigation would be nice to adhere to the left instead of the right because more content (your sitename, address and email) is on the left (which they will notice more due to the need to use the navigation) and needs to be a bit smaller for that font (you could use a different font where the letters are a bit wider if you want to use the same size) - due to the difference in sizing and dimensions of the navigation font and the content font. But obviously everything is up to you, this is only my opinion.

Other than that, I really like the minimalistic style and the color scheme. Font choice and placing is very professional and I believe once you have more content it would be perfect. An idea is to take all your pictures that you posted on deviantart and made a gallery that opened up in the frame in the middle. You could use a flickr mini gallery with thumbnails.
Sentenza
That is a nice design... but I'd suggest coding it instead of images. A lot of people are still on 56k or so-so connections and more than 10 seconds will cut your visits in half, or more. Coding this kind of website is pretty easy, it would take about 2 minutes for an average coder, and it would be faster, more flexible and easier to change. The text would be clearer and thus easier to read. Now it looks a blurry, because of the anti-aliasing. Anti-aliasing is to avoid with informative text, or content... leave it to the nice logos, banners or slogans.

For the positioning, I guess it could look well if it was like this:
(thanx to DX-Blog for the technique)

OOO
XXX
OOO

O being empty space
X being the website.

It doesn't have to be stretched, but there are a lot of ways to avoid the Empty space feel we get... Except a good position, playing with the background colors can improve a lot. Now everything's on white. Maybe FCFCFC would look good for the main content...

Again, the first thing I'd do is code it. I'd code it through Divs and CSS, which can be learned pretty easily here. If you don't want to code it yourself, just ask for somebody who can do it easily, or even myself if you feel the need to ask...

Great graphic work btw. Smile