FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ShoutBox in Forums!

diablera
Hell Yeah! It'd be way cool if you put a shout box here in the forums, it just takes less time for sending some request to admins or moderators... hehehe

I guess it's a great idea, don't you? Cool
Bondings
I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of shoutboxes. I like loooong posts and threads. Very Happy
diablera
Bondings wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of shoutboxes. I like loooong posts and threads. Very Happy

I totally agree with you. I actually was thinking that the shouts (obviously) don't count as POINTS nor FRIH$. It'd be just an easy way to get in touch w/ you guys.

Well, thats my opinion Smile
meangurl
that will just make the forum slower considering that there are lot's of members here complaining for the slow loading because of the ads... besides.. what's the point of shoutboxes most people will just say "hi" or whatever in shoutboxes... i don't think it's necessary Wink
mathiaus
rather have them say hi in the shoutbox then taking up the space of a whole post for it Cool

But I too am againt shoutboxes. They do mostly seem pointless. Shouldnt slow the board down that mutch though.
n0obie4life
the only shoutbox i know that is phpBB compatiable is totally buggy and full of security bugs...
Maka
Not needed imo. It will just take the mind of users not doing what they need to do and thats posting.
mOrpheuS
I wouldn't say that a shoutbox will not be useful.
but I woudn't say that it will be very useful either.

diablera wrote:
request to admins or moderators

what kind of requests ?
I'm sure any question can be posted in one forum or the other.

but I think the hassle will not justified by the "benefits".
Wink
WickedGravity
First of all, I haven't noticed a slowing of the loading of the web pages due to the ads, it may be my connection, but I doubt it.

Secondly, shoutboxes are geared more towards less involved mods and admins, of which we don't have that problem.

Thirdly, like someone said, the one for this board is buggy and security flawed.
diablera
Lol, I have a 45 kbps internet connection and it doesnt get any slow with all these ads, just the "normal". And I still considere it could be a good idea, but if mods and admins dont, I will accept it Razz

Cheers! Cool

P.S. Havent you thought of switch to Invision Power Board instead of phpBB? I think it is way cooler than phpBB Smile
meangurl
diablera wrote:
P.S. Havent you thought of switch to Invision Power Board instead of phpBB? I think it is way cooler than phpBB Smile

the newest IPB costs money... 1.3's ok however someone might create another virus that can infect outdated ipbs

but yet, it would be great to switch to the newest version of IPB Wink
n0obie4life
meangurl wrote:
diablera wrote:

the newest IPB costs money... 1.3's ok however someone might create another virus that can infect outdated ipbs

but yet, it would be great to switch to the newest version of IPB Wink

in terms of "features" and "coolness" i have to admit that IPB is better. the first time i administrated a IPB forum, i was sooooo shocked with its features..like the "timed banning", "ban posting" etc.

but those could be actually DONE in phpBB with modifications..i think Olympus (okay i'm sure i got the spelling wrong..) has some of the features..so lets just wait till olympus comes out.