FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Move hidden files

steveadams617
Hi. I need to move boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect.com from the root of the D: drive to the root of the C: drive. This laptop won't boot, so I need to do it with something that runs on a floppy. I've tried a WinME disk, but it doesn't include xcopy and copy won't copy hidden/system files. I tried making a disk dos disk on XP and copying xcopy.exe to it, but it complains it can't run in DOS mode.

The CD drive isn't working or I have plenty of ideas. Anyone know of a utility that runs from a floppy? I'm going to boot up a Win 98 machine here in a while and see if I can get xcopy to run from a floppy...

Both partitions are FAT32 by the way.

Thanks.
ocalhoun
simply remove the drive, and install it temporarily on amother computer to move the files, also you can load an OS onto it while its there.
steveadams617
Were that it were in a regular computer. It's in a laptop. I've never actually looked at the drive, but I'm assuming that the connectors or power connectors would be much smaller than my desktop. Thanks anyway.
dkill001
you need to change the attributes of the files you want to copy...you can do this using the attrib fxn in dos...to see syntax type in "help attrib" in dos or dos window. an example would be:
attrib -h -s boot.ini *would remove hidden and system attributes for boot.ini*

after you change attributes, you can use the copy cmd to copy the selected file(s) to your desired destination. remember to change the attributes back after you finish the copy. an example would be:
attrib +h +s boot.ini *returns the file to hidden & system file attribs*

hope this helps..
steveadams617
The attribute change idea worked. I moved the files, but it wasn't enough to fix the problem. It got further in the boot process, but then died again.

Thanks anyway....