FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

n00b help: phpbb message board

jstoeffler
hey, i am completely new to php and all that, so is there a guide or something out there that will explain how to make a message board?
thanx in advance
thnn
There is one on PHPFreaks. However I think it is for very basic forums. If you choose to follow this tutorial you should be able to at the end make your own features for it. Note even though the code is supplied it is better to write everything yourself even if you are copying it. That way you will get the idea in your mind because you are actually going through the code while you are writing it. Also if you are not actually looking to make your own forum software then I suggest either phpBB or myBB. If you want a IPB look alike then go with myBB.

The link is http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials/103/0.php
jstoeffler
alright, thanks
i have the phpbb 2 files downloaded on my computer i just dont know where to go from there
thnn
Here you go this should help.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-19192.html

Are you hosting it on Frihost or another host?
jstoeffler
i will be hosting it on frihost once i get my 10 points
jstoeffler
thanks, that helps
one other thing, does the subdomain name of your site have to be the same as your username?
thnn
I dont think so. However just post that in the extra comments box when you apply.
bogden
sorry if this has been covered, but I used to be a big phpBB fan, but now if i were to have to chose a board software package to run, i would seriously consider other ones like punBB or somthing else rather smaller in footprint.
n0obie4life
You can change your subdomain in the account.php page, doesn't have to be the same.

I'll create an installation tutorial for php-nuke & myBBoard when I have the time Wink