FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cannot connect to site.. at all.

lykaios
My computer is just not good enough for alot of the stuff i do, so alot of times i go to my mothers computer (which is just 5 feet away.) This morning i went to her computer to upload some stuff to my site, and i found that I cannot go to the site through the web browser " http://role.frih.net " and I cannot ftp to it through SmartFTP. It works fine on my computer, but doesn't show up on hers. The even stranger part is, we share a cable modem, so anything that has to do with internet should be relatively the same..

Anyone have any suggestions on what can be done?

(If you need more info on the computers/network/etc i can give that, I haven't yet because i don't know what info would be useful or not.)
Naif
Were you able to ftp or open a website from her computer before? And are you using a router to share the Internet connection?
djclue917
Please provide more info. What were the error message that you have received? Try pinging or tracerouting your site from your mother's computer. In that way, we could test the Layer 3 connectivity of your mother's computer to your site. Anyway, I find it really odd that you couldn't connect to your site using your mother's computer. Please give an info about your network topology.
lykaios
I pinged and tracert'd to the site from her computer, and here is what i got.

Quote:
Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1>ping role.frih.net

Pinging role.frih.net [216.32.85.170] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 216.32.85.170:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1>tracert role.frih.net

Tracing route to role.frih.net [216.32.85.170]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms gateway2-atm4-10-ephblocal2a.leh.ptd.net [216.144.187.253]
3 79 ms 16 ms 15 ms gateway2-atm1-2-325-sm22leh2.sm.ptd.net [207.44.127.49]
4 28 ms 29 ms 29 ms POS4-1.GW2.PHL6.ALTER.NET [157.130.43.33]
5 29 ms 29 ms 47 ms so-7-0-0.CL1.PHL6.ALTER.NET [152.63.37.174]
6 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms 0.so-2-2-0.XL1.DCA6.ALTER.NET [152.63.42.229]
7 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms POS6-0.BR4.DCA6.ALTER.NET [152.63.41.229]
8 31 ms 30 ms 31 ms cpr1-pos-1-3.VirginiaEquinix.savvis.net [204.255.174.186]
9 32 ms 131 ms 31 ms bcs1-so-0-0-0.Washington.savvis.net [208.173.52.114]
10 30 ms 29 ms 31 ms bcs2-so-7-0-0.Washington.savvis.net [204.70.192.34]
11 44 ms 61 ms 43 ms dcr2-so-7-3-0.Atlanta.savvis.net [204.70.192.65]
12 64 ms 63 ms 65 ms bcs2-so-2-0-0.Dallas.savvis.net [204.70.192.70]
13 64 ms 65 ms 66 ms ohr2-pos-4-0.FortWorthda1.savvis.net [208.172.131.86]
14 65 ms 65 ms 64 ms csr1-ve241.FortWorthda1.savvis.net [216.39.64.42]
15 64 ms 66 ms 66 ms 216.39.86.190
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1>

As for the 'network', our computers are not connected in any way. The cable modem we have has 2 places to connect on the back, one USB and the other Ethernet. Hers is connected to the USB port, mine the Ethernet. (this is the same setup we've had for the past 3 years.)

Yes, i was able to connect before, Most of the content of my site (forum namely) was uploaded via her computer, since it is much faster through hers.
lykaios
Error messages:

When i try to go to the website, i am given the "Cannot find server"/"Page cannot be displayed" message.

When i try to FTP.. well here is the connection log from SmartFTP.

Quote:
SmartFTP v1.1.984.17
Resolving host name role.frih.net...
Connecting to (role.frih.net) -> IP: 216.32.85.170 PORT: 21
Connected to (role.frih.net) -> Time = 187ms
Socket connected waiting for login sequence.
Connection timeout. No response from server.
Active Help Link: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/58
Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...

I tried rebooting the computer and the modem, but it didn't work (not that i thought it would be that simple.)
Naif
You tried pinging frih.net from her system and the name got resolved to 216.32.85.170 but you didnt get any reply from it. Thats odd. Add to that, when I tried doing a route trace of role.frih.net I got requested timed out only twice where as you got it so many times.

Try the following and see what happens:

Try using the connection on your system. If it works on your system then rest is assured, there is certainly nothing wrong with the connection. There might be spyware/adware installed on the other system. Have you already tried doing a virus/spyware/adware scan on that system?
lykaios
I know she has a virus scan set up every night, but i don't know about spyware. Usually, im not allowed to even breathe near her computer..

The connection is fine on my computer, web and ftp working fine.

I think the best solution to this problem would be to take a heavy mallet.. and.. Twisted Evil

Only kidding..
Naif
A mallet should work... Why dont you give it a try? If it fails, you might want to consider using a chain saw on it Wink

An antivirus wont be useful in detecting spyware/adware infections. Download Adware SE personal and do a full system scan. Its available for free. And ofcourse, make sure the AV definitions are upto date.

By the way, did you install any new softwares on her system before this problem started happening? A firewall maybe? If the OS installed on it is Windows XP, try restoring it to a previous state.
lykaios
I went through a system restore, back a week to before the problem started, and there was no change.

Im beginning to believe it isn't my computer, but the server.

naif wrote:
You tried pinging frih.net from her system and the name got resolved to 216.32.85.170 but you didnt get any reply from it. Thats odd.

Obviously, its seeing the server.. but isn't able to get the files from it.. Being ignored, so to speak.. Just a thought.
longjack
Does your mother's machine have a software firewall, is the usb connection from the modem firewalled, or does the modem router forward, (mainly not forward) ports differently?

longjack
dkill001
I am not familiar with using one cable modem to connect two computers...I have always used a router, either hard-lined or wireless. You only get one IP from your ISP, this IP is unique and has to be assigned to only ONE of your computers. How can you connect two computers to the same cable modem if you are only getting one IP address? When using a router, the IP address is assigned to the router and the computers within your network get assigned a network IP .. like 192.168.1.x (where x is 1-->255). I would try disconnecting your computer from the router and trying to FTP using the other computer. I would also try to find out what IP is assigned to each computer...run "IPCONFIG" in command window if you are running win2k or winxp. I am curious as to what IP is being assigned.

Also, can you perform any other type of FTP connection using your mother's computer or can you only not connect to the site you had listed? Perhaps there is an issue with the FTP port on your mother's computer. If yes, then you can d/l a port scanning application or something to monitor your ports...try http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TdiMon.html and see what is happening.