FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should I stick to Windows?

guissmo
well, the only OS i have used in my life is Windows.

but I got some feedback that Windows sucks and there are some greater OS's there.

but I'm thinking that if I switch to another OS....
--- I'll need adjust on it.
--- Some of my fave proggys wont work on it.
--- ...will Microsoft Office work on it?

I mean it's a whole new language to learn.

So do you think it is practical for me to switch my OS?
n0obie4life
Okay. You've got a few choices here..

Linux or Mac.

In Mac there's office I think. In linux, you have to use openoffice.
arch23
that's a good question and so many words were written about it...
If you choose linux you keep your windows on the hard disk and install the os next to it. if you won't like it you can dump it. Anyways - read around in linux beginners websites
http://www.linux.ie/newusers/beginners-linux-guide/
benwhite
Microsoft office is avaiiable for Mac OSX, which is what I use. It works exactly as it does for Windows. Switching from Windows to OSX is painless. I did it about a year ago and still use both. The only thing with a MAC is you can't run a lot of gerenic software ".exe" for windows. In most cases, it's a not a huge loss and there are often Mac alternatives. Mac is infinitely more stable, it's crashed maybe twice in a whole year--both times while using a microsoft program--see a trend?

Linux has a bigger learning curve, but these days, packages like KDE are pretty user friendly. The benefit is that most Linux software is free, so you'll save money. Additionally, programs from both OS's will support microsoft file types like .doc and .xml in many programs. Compatability isn't much of an issue these days. If you want to try Linux, you can partition your harddrive on your windows PC and install a version of Linux on it and see what you think. I used to dual-boot an older pc a few years back so I could test out Linux. That's what I would recommend.
guissmo
so mac is better?

i'm asking for the better one among the OSs so that i can take full advantage of my pc.

lol.. looking at noobie's avatar i thought this forum was locked.
Naif
Yes, you'll have to adjust alot in the beginning if you decide to use Linux. And yes, windows programs cannot run on Linux unless you use a windows emulator like Wine. It was frustuating for me when I started to use Linux in the beginning. Whenever I got frustuated and felt like banging my head on the wall, I logged off from Linux and booted into Windows. So to get rid of that habit of mine, I just removed Windows from my system. That way, the only option I had was to bang my head on the wall. But I couldnt afford to lose my head now could I? That way, I finally started learning the ins and outs of linux and about its pitfalls.

Regarding MS Office, you dont need MS Office under Linux cuz you have OpenOffice! It shares many similarities to MS Office. And documents saved using Word and Excel can be opened using equivalent OpenOffice programs.

Have you ever worked in an MS DOS environment or do you use the windows command prompt? If you have, then it will be easier for you to learn Linux shell commands. Unlike Windows, if there is something that cannot be done from the GUI, you'll have to turn towards the shell.

By the way, n0obie's avatar confused me too Razz
Naif
benwhite wrote:
If you want to try Linux, you can partition your harddrive on your windows PC and install a version of Linux on it and see what you think. I used to dual-boot an older pc a few years back so I could test out Linux. That's what I would recommend.

Either you can do that or install Linux as a virtual operating system using a software like VMWare Workstation. By using this approach, you can start Linux from Windows itself and run both the operating systems simultaneously. Linux will get installed on one of your windows partitions and will reside there on a file.
cheeta
guissmo wrote:
so mac is better?

i'm asking for the better one among the OSs so that i can take full advantage of my pc.

stick to windows... as u want to get max out of ur system .... neither OS rather windows has so many software option... linux platform is catching up on the software issue.... but its still hard to play with the config of the system... & not mettion NO Game on linux.... (though some may run... but not with hard graphics...)
Ranfaroth
guissmo wrote:
First, you can switch to cross plateform softwares that will be available both on windows and Linux plateform. (Every modern browser instead of the deprecated IE, OOo instead of M$ Office, NVU instead of Dreamweaver, VLC for video files... Just give us what software you think you'll miss and we'll give you an alternative).

Then, the upgrade to Linux will be very easy Wink
ocalhoun
Microsoft office can be used on linux!
However you have to use closed-source for-profit software called crossover office.
Cridiron
I'm seriously considering buying a mac for my next computer. I hear they are way better for audio/video productioin.

Maybe I'm a noobie for asking this, but you have to have a mac machine to run the mac os right?

Can you run the Mac OS on a pc?
bapakerwe
hey, I have 3 OS in my PC : Win98, WinXP and Red-Hat 9.
but I use 98 more often cuz 98 run like F1 cars on my Athlon 2100+ Cool
I planned to total-migrate to Linux someday, maybe when I have enough knowledge bout it.

FH
KHO
Neutral it really does depend on what you are doing, if you just do a little of the developing and coding thing, but mostly just mess around w/ games/cool programs or apps, then stick to windows, XP Pro is not that bad if you have the right tools and some sense in what you are doing online (like trying to download stuff, thats a no-no, and looking for a downloadable movie like this guy at my school, finding it [star wars II by the way] and looking at the file size saying "Oh, only half a mb, my lucky day" and downloading it, then hitting ignore on your virus protection). So as long as you don't try and download stupid stuff, and you dont go to those nasty sites that give you like 100 pop ups, then windows really does work fine. l laugh at some of my friends w/ linux/mac because everything works no prob for me and my windows, but for them they have to spend a week trying to get solitare to work Neutral so really, as long as you aren't just totally fed up with not having an open source OS, or being able to bend the will of your machine till it explodes in your face, then you should be good w/ windows.
blackant
though you are using windows now, you can always install linux next to it.
and run both to try out which is suitable for you. Wink

just take note that it might not have any drivers, such as printers, camera etc for linux.
KHO
Quote:
though you are using windows now, you can always install linux next to it.
and run both to try out which is suitable for you. Wink

just take note that it might not have any drivers, such as printers, camera etc for linux.

That and trying to install linux w/ windows will take, what was it, 18gb? And if you are on a notebook, this is alot of memory:|
Kd527
I would highly recommend Mac. It's very user friendly for the beginner and the advanced user. It doesn't crash or lock up...Go here: http://www.apple.com/switch/ But I switched to Mac and I am never ever going back. I also tried Linux, and it's great, but a lot harder to work with and it doesn't have as many drivers for hardware and not much software.
fayettemat
cheeta wrote:
guissmo wrote:
so mac is better?

stick to windows... as u want to get max out of ur system .... neither OS rather windows has so many software option... linux platform is catching up on the software issue.... but its still hard to play with the config of the system... & not mettion NO Game on linux.... (though some may run... but not with hard graphics...)

actualy there is plenty of software out for mac it depends on the users taste though and for many who want little or no problems form their computer need to get a mac or Unix but since mac is unix based and easiest OS to use i'd go with the Mac
Arnie
I would say: don't get dragged along by the powerful flood of anti-MS sentiment. The Internet is full of people that basically tell you Windows is no good at all, that if you have any dignity you use something else, etcetera. Most is based on a big bunch of prejudice (see my replies in other what-OS topics.) Those people don't balance things at all, because they say Windows is no good, and Linux is god. You make your choice. What do you like best? Try it and decide for yourself. But don't let anyone tell you you're an idiot because you use Windows. Don't let anyone pressurize you. Make your own choice.
djclue917
guissmo wrote:

but I got some feedback that Windows sucks and there are some greater OS's there.

Yup that's right. Windoze does suck! Very Happy

Quote:

Adjusting is not hard at all. Trust me.

There many other FOSS alternatives that are even more reliable and powerful than their Windoze-counterparts. You could also use Wine to run certain WIndoze-only programs on Linux.

You do not need Microsoft Office. OpenOffice.org v2.0 has just been released recently. It's much like MS Office but a hell more powerful. It even supports ODF and MS Office formats.

Quote:

I think that it would be very pratical. I've been using Windoze for more than 4 years but since I've hooked-up with Linux, I just couldn't let it go. The truth is that I've became more productive in Linux than in Windows. No system crashes or hangups or whatsoever. And besides, there are really many Open source software to choose from. There are also many Linux distros out there. Take your pick. Smile
Arnie
Take your pick out of all the OSes around, that is. What works best for person A doesn't have to work best for person B.

And also important, even though a lot of people prefers to call Windows Windoze, that doesn't impress me. I respect Linux (use it too) and Windows both. Respect is a word that the anti-MS (or should I say M$!?!?) don't seem to know. They're "allowed" (?) to bash the company and software because their OS is simply better, right? I'd say if you don't like it, don't use it, but don't be so hypocritical to call it names. If you're so right, how about being a bit more correct in the debate.
Talk2Tom11
Many people say that Windows Sucks but it really doesn't. It is the best of both worlds. It is 10 times more free then mac. yet more stable then linux. There are millions of applications made for windows. Even if there is something you like what mac has... chances are, someone has made an application in windows to do the same thing. even if it is the look you are worried about. I have windows yet everyone thinks it is a make because my skin on the pc is a mac. I use Stardock applications to give my pc the look of a mac, yet I still have the freedom of windows. Go from windows to mac is like completely giving up your freedom. Not a good Idea. Going to linux however, is different. I admit, I use linux sometimes. But only when I am looking into programming things in different ways. I would never use linux as my main OS in my machine however.
Arnie
That also isn't nuanced of course. Windows doesn't have to be the best for everyone. I can't say it often enough: don't listen to anyone making his opinion about OSes a fact, but find out for yourself.
kam311
What it comes down to is your level of comfort and expertise with a PC. Even Windows has advantages over Macs and Linux computers, but of course there are the obvious problems. Office can work with a Mac, but with special software which allows compatibility. Linux, like was mentions in an earlier post, typically uses Open Office, which is also nice because you can download it for free. If you are not that experienced with a computer however, it may be better to just stick with Windows until you can gain some knowledge about other systems.
guissmo
woah! i didn't expect this much replies.
thanks guys!
ChunkyBustout
I would say don't change OSes because of what you heard. If it works for you, keep using it. Macs are cool (OS X) but I wouldn't want one. Linux is absolutely great but the learning curve will make you second-guess your decision to learn it if you aren't technically savvy. Whatever other OSes you run into, make sure you want to change how you work on a computer. You may waste a lot of time.
djclue917
Arnie wrote:
Take your pick out of all the OSes around, that is. What works best for person A doesn't have to work best for person B.

And also important, even though a lot of people prefers to call Windows Windoze, that doesn't impress me. I respect Linux (use it too) and Windows both. Respect is a word that the anti-MS (or should I say M$!?!?) don't seem to know. They're "allowed" (?) to bash the company and software because their OS is simply better, right? I'd say if you don't like it, don't use it, but don't be so hypocritical to call it names. If you're so right, how about being a bit more correct in the debate.

I'm sorry for allegedly disrespecting Microsoft....But I'm not.

FOSS advocates are not actually Microsoft bashers you know... It's just that Microsoft has been trying too hard lately too kill the FOSS community because it's becoming more and more accessible and user-friendly to users. Just take a look at Ubuntu (and Kubuntu at the Dapper release), you order CDs and they ship it for free wherever you are in the world.

Linux folks are not Windows bashers. I also respect Windows (or maybe the apps that I've been using). Isn't M$ right? How much does a license for MS Office or Windows cost? Just think about that...

I agree that Linux is not the best for all people. But it is not hard to use. Since KDE and GNOME (and other Desktop Environments) arrived in the FOSS community, everything had changed. Now, Linux or BSDs (and other *nixes) can be used by virtually anyone. Don't you know that little children in Africa are now using Ubuntu? If the children can use it, then why can't older people? Just a little getting-to-know part is needed.

If your work requires Windows, then use it. But Linux is just the perfect OS for me. I never really had fun with Windows. I just use Windows because of those "Windows-only" apps...

Don't you know that Microsoft has a Linux lab?
netjunk
I would not change your os as I find It is alwats good to have a windows computer running as It is compatible with most software. I would instead buy another computer and run a different os on it. I would recomend Mac osx or Linux.
Josso
It depends what you are using it for:

I use windows because it's compatible with everything and I'm a big game player. But I have been tempted to go back to macintosh in the past because I also create electronic music, and macintosh is 10x more reliable.
Goatmonkey
Go Mac man. It is great and almost everything works on a Mac. There are even special versions of everything for OS X. Rock solid. Stunning, Cunning, and Always Running. Will not crash, No viruses.
Will_M
It depends on what you're going to use the computer for. Windows is good for many games, Mac is good for video and audio editing, and Linux (at least the distros I've tried) is good for programming. Just go with the one you think is best.
jajarvin
Linux is better than Windows. I do have a PC which have as OS Windows, but I rarely use it.
dude_xyx
I have used Windows XP maybe 10+ years. I do like Linux but I can't run Dreamweaver directly in it. I used the Ubuntu Live version just to get a look and feeling and it's really great. Only problem is I have bunch of programs only works in Windows.
amagard
I wouldn't recommend to change your OS because others told you it sucks.
You have to decide for yourself how good Windows works for you. What things do you hate and what things really don't work at all ?
If you are satisfied, don't change. (Never touch a running system.)
If you have problems with Windows you might wanna change, but don't expect Linux to come problem-free. You probably will run into different problems, especially if you are unexperienced with this OS.

I remember my first experience with a Linux distro I installed on a spare notebook where basic things didn't work like access to my USB drive. I actually have been running into problems I never saw on any Windows system. Like getting an Access Denied Error when I have to change my password, so that I actually could not change my password and lost access to the system.
Currently I am running Linux Mint on my older notebook and like it for its simplicity. When I just want to surf the internet real quick I don't need all the overhead coming with a modern Windows system.

Also keep in mind: the discussion in communities about operating systems is like discussions about religions. There is no right or wrong. You have to make up your own mind.

OpenOffice BTW is also available for Windows, so you can give it a try there.
If you own many software packages - especially games - running on Windows you might want to think twice before you change.
telseq
guissmo wrote:

Linux is the future, besides being an open source software it has a lot of new features!
Da Rossa
Remember, OSes are just a means to and end. Both Windows and OSX take you from here to there. It can be a looooong talk, with accusations from both parties, especially from the Mac fanboys, but both OSes are solid. I'd stick with Windows. Also, I believe such 'features' that were said to be 'better done in a Mac' are no longer true.
Windows 7 is the way to go to me.

Ah, what about other OSses. Ubuntu maybe? It's got a user friendly interface. Plus, it's Linux, so if you use it then you're going to really know what a computer is all about. But it takes time to learn. So, back to the first line... the OS should not be the end, but a means, to take a easy to use OS.
cabenqc
IMHO,
if you still thinking about that topic. enjoy your thinking and trying.
that is fun and enjoyable as long as you got enough time to do that.
for me, pc/pc-os is just tools. it's helping to perform somethings.
i don't really care what kind of tools as long as jobs done.
of course, i always spend time to fix fine tune my tools including win/?nix/mac/Android due to my work. haha.
my approach is very direct and simple:
if not necessary, i don't make changes.
if something cannot be done with current tools, i go to make changes for sure.
I don't mind os or sw looks ugly and old. It's useful is ok.
aayushsrivastava14
If you are using the Windows XP just dump it because Microsoft is dumping it somewhat next month! Twisted Evil If you are so attached to Windows then you may upgrade to Windows 7 but never ever in your life go for Windows 8!!!

As someone else has rightely stated Linux is the future and you should also realize it. Some people still think the Linux is jut for nerds and computer geeks but it is not so. If you don't believe me then somebody about Linux Mint and others like that. They are equally or say more beautiful then their Windows counterparts.(atleast I found them so!)

Rest is up to you that which way you chose!
cabenqc
Greater OS is only GREAT but may be not so useful for me, I think.
It is for some Great persons not including me. Laughing
WinOS is a great tool to use and work.

Using other OS is to play, explore and have fun if you have time.
Or, you really need to have something WinOS without or $/license issues.