FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Database on Frihost site

mcduck2002
i would like an advice from some one who already feel fluent with databases and sites. all i need is a simple example of a site that holds a phonebook (or any other example) and an interface, so i can start buiilding my own site immediately.
i will except any help from any guru out there.

thanks a lot in advance
clogfan
A nice way to start programming in php, is to install a bundle of software that includes mysql, php and apache. One example of such a bundle is XAMPP. This is the easiest way to start, because you don't have to do any configuration, it just works out of the box.

Once installed, you have different examples that you can look at : you can use myphpadmin for investigation of existing mysql databases, and the site contains also a php sample application.

It is impossible to investigate a site on the web, because when you ask for php-pages, they will be processed by the server and only the result is sent back, not the original php-code.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to ask anything.
mcduck2002
clogfan wrote:
A nice way to start programming in php, is to install a bundle of software that includes mysql, php and apache. One example of such a bundle is XAMPP. This is the easiest way to start, because you don't have to do any configuration, it just works out of the box.

Once installed, you have different examples that you can look at : you can use myphpadmin for investigation of existing mysql databases, and the site contains also a php sample application.

It is impossible to investigate a site on the web, because when you ask for php-pages, they will be processed by the server and only the result is sent back, not the original php-code.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to ask anything.

thank you very much Smile
can i upload all of this stuff to my free frihost site? or is it there already?
clogfan
Actually, you have a similar setup on frihost, but you don't have to upload all of that. The only thing you'll have to do, is upload your php-files and your database to frihost. When you upload it, you'll be quite sure your site will work, as you'll have it tested offline first.

You can do the uploads through the frihost directadmin interface.
Ekie
How can i get that free web hosting? Do i have to post 5 posts before i can register me?
mcduck2002
hi clogfan, and thanks for all the help.
i install xampp. now i want to build a simple website on my computer. i mean, do you know of any simple example web site with a DB on it that i can upload and learn from it?
i think i saw a cd collection example on xampp, only i don't have any idea where to upload the mysql, php and i think also htdocs....
so here is the list of my problems to deal with:
1) i don't know php (sorry) where can i find a quick and dirty tutor for that? (i know a little asp if it help)
2) i don't know the directory tree of the frihost site (i already messed it up, i think). i also don't know the relevant directories in xampp that should be uploaded. (i'm using a ftp program to upload)
3) i realy realy realy need a working example of a website that uses some DB and some simple php pages

can you help me with that?
thanks in advance
clogfan
mcduck2002 wrote:
1) i don't know php (sorry) where can i find a quick and dirty tutor for that? (i know a little asp if it help)
2) i don't know the directory tree of the frihost site (i already messed it up, i think). i also don't know the relevant directories in xampp that should be uploaded. (i'm using a ftp program to upload)
3) i realy realy realy need a working example of a website that uses some DB and some simple php pages

Answer on 1) There is a basic php tutorial from w3c schools (here. And there is of course the PHP manual. And I'm sure you'll find lots of tutorials on different aspects through a Google search for "php tutorial". Have a look in the "Tutorials" forum on this site too. There are some entries on PHP tutorials.

Answer on 2) The directory where you put your php-files in xampp is called "htdocs" (I don't know the exact location by heart, but you'll find it somewhere under the apache directory). You can upload your php-files to frihost in the "public_html" directory. Of course you're free to add a directory structure on both sides...

For MySql, one way to do the job, is to dump your database on your pc so you have a file with sql-statements to create a table and insert data. These scripts can then be run within frihost's myphpadmin in the SQL-tab.

There is also a possibility to upload a database backup, but I didn't try that yet, so here you'll have to experiment...

Answer on 3) There are examples with xampp. If they aren't good enough, you'll have to do a search. Some tutorials will certainly have what you want.

Did that help you ?
mcduck2002
that sure helped me. now i have to try out what you've said. i hope it'll work out for me.
many thanks Smile