FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mass to energy conversion

ocalhoun
Does anybody here know a way to convert mass to energy and back again?
I'm looking for a way that will preserve the form of the object and be 100% eficient (none left over).
I know this is a shot in the dark, but perhaps with 8,265 people someone will know...

I'll take whatever I can get.
S3nd K3ys
ocalhoun wrote:
I'm looking for a way that will preserve the form of the object and be 100% eficient (none left over).
I know this is a shot in the dark, but perhaps with 8,265 people someone will know...

LoL. Bored eh?
illini319
there's a famous equation derived by an even more famous patent clerk...

And if you can figure out how to freely convert between mass and energy at zero, to near zero loss, then you will deserve to win one of those medals the King of Sweden hands out.

More power to you...
ocalhoun
Actually, doing research for a very ambitious goal. It will take decades of dedication to bring it about, but for me it will be worth it.

S3nd K3ys wrote:
Have a talk with Scotty. Ask him about the 'teleporters' Wink

Exactly!
S3nd K3ys
ocalhoun wrote:
Actually, doing research for a very ambitious goal. It will take decades of dedication to bring it about, but for me it will be worth it.

Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:

Ok, this is easy. Here is what you need:

-Some radioactive uranium
-A nuclear reactor
-How to make an atomic bomb for dummies (buy it now at Amazon.com)
-George W Bush
-A cup of coffee

You then put the uranium in the reactor, stirr it a bit and there you are. After the reaction, the uranium atoms will be split into several parts and lose a bit weight, creating energy. (E=mc^2)
ocalhoun
True, but that is an extremely ineffecient method.
Thanks anyway.
Besides I know how to build a nuclear bomb.
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:
True, but that is an extremely ineffecient method.

At the moment it is the most (known) efficient method. If you ever find a better method then you might become richer than Bill Gates. Wink
ocalhoun
Hey, who changed the title?
Ma.ss is not profane, nor is it a reference to profane words!
I'm changing it back.
Oh, its some kind of automatic blocker.
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:
Hey, who changed the title?
Ma.ss is not profane, nor is it a reference to profane words!
I'm changing it back.
Oh, its some kind of automatic blocker.

Yeah sorry, I just changed the word censors and didn't think of some other combinations. It's fixed now as long as you put something before the a. Wink
zoombinimatt
Yeah everyone who does highschool physics can make a nuke. its really really easy. but seriously, i think you need to go further into quantum physics for total conversion. Ima workin' onit though, ill tell ya what i come up with.
saiyeek
I know that will be possible but not sure, how?
atomictoyz
AS soon as ya alls prove the Second Law of Thermodynamics to be wrong I'll be back. Until then... Entropy.

Peace,
Atomic
benwhite
We can't even do well controlled fusion yet...ain't much hope for mass to energy and back with no loss. Can't create Energy out of nothing, can't make things only out of energy. Gotta make or break something. Fusion's nice because there's lots of hydrogen involved. But no, there's no magical way to do, except with dark matter and such. Check out scientific american or something. Theorists think they can make wormholes and such with the stuff, if they could ever isolate it.
illini319
benwhite wrote:
Theorists think they can make wormholes and such with the stuff, if they could ever isolate it.

That's the fun thing about horizons, huh? There may always be hope on the other side...

I can't intelligently comment about wormholes and dark matter... but I can tell you about similar "horizons" in biology. Everyone seems to ascribe the cure to all ills with stem cell research. I can tell you, from the trenches, that's it's mostly just snake oil. It certainly has a lot of promise... but not at the level most people make it out to be.

To get back to the topic at hand... I would hazard to say that interconversion between any two things, with zero loss, is an impossibility. As an earlier post alluded to... you cannot avoid mister DeltaS. (Entropy)
benwhite
Bingo. Progress is slow and steady. And it is awfully hard to rise above the inevitable plateus in scientific progress. I'll venture that if a panacea to illness or energy production comes around, it'll be big in the news and you won't need to ask on a messageboard.
[FuN]goku
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Beam me up scotty Very Happy xD just hadda say that. ne ways im not a science type of guy... if you seen my science marks u wouldnt trust me with any cure for sumthin... actually my marks are low cuz my science teacher wouldnt give me credit for 3 science labs that my partner didnt put my name on.and i got 0 on them all... so my science mark is 18... Sad sadly
yokonative
all i got to ay is that im not sure at all..im not a science nut, im more int he math field...but im into calc..so...i havent reallt came up on any formulas for mss and energey equtions....sorz..
Billwaa
well, I know Einstane came up with a formula convert energy to mass + speed
johnisenglish
Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2 seems to be a bit unclear to a few of you guys. What it says, in super-basic terms, is that energy and matter are two forms of the same thing. Mass is essentially a form of energy, and on the scales that we're used to dealing with (pounds / kilograms) its a whole lot of energy (millions of times more then the energy of a car traveling 90 mph). One of the important effects of that equation is that any mass that has additional forms of energy - for example thermal energy (heat) or kinetic energy (from motion) - in turn has additional mass from that energy. What that means is that if you get up from your computer and start jogging, you'll actually gain a tiny tiny tiny amount of mass as a result of the increase in kinetic energy. Of course, we're used to working with speeds that are so small that we never notice these things, but that's what made Einstein such a smart guy.

Now, if we extend that principal to a more extreme example, we find another interesting side effect. Say that you're able to accelerate a spaceship to a very very very fast speed - lets say 1/2 the speed of light. Because of the tremendous amount of energy needed to get it up to that speed, it actually starts to gain a noticeable amount of extra mass. Since it has more mass, that means that it needs an even more energy to make it go faster. So you give it more energy, and now it has even more mass! This continues in a vicious cycle, going on to the point that no matter how much more kinetic energy you give the spaceship, it barely gets any faster at all. If you've taken calculus before, you've probably heard about limits of functions. A limit of a function is a value that no matter what you do, a function can never exceed. E=mc^2 says that the limit of of the velocity of any object with any rest mass is - you guessed it - the speed of light.

How light travel the speed of light? Well, to start with it has no mass, but that's really a whole different story.

However, I've just gone on a rant and failed to answer the original question. I just wanted to set the facts straight first.

Converting energy to mass, as you see, is somewhat impossible, since they're the same thing. If something has more energy it has more mass, and if it has more mass that it has more energy. They're locked together.

You might, though, be interested in another extreme example of this relationship. Particle accelerators, which are super-expensive and gigantic tools used by scientists to study the nature and properties of different types of matter and forces, accelerate atoms to near-light speeds. As you've probably already guessed, those atoms pick up a tremendous amount of kinetic energy. Then, suddenly, the force them to come to a dead stop. All that kinetic energy has to go somewhere! A great deal of it becomes heat, but some of it becomes matter. However, the vast majority of that matter is unstable and decomposes extremely quickly, but that is an example of taking a type of energy - kinetic energy - and getting from it matter. You do have to remember, though, that this is a very very very inefficient process, requiring multi-billion dollar machines, and it has no practical applications in terms of energy generation, transportation or anything like that.

If you're interested in this for exotic ideas like Star Trek style transporters, you're better off looking into quantum tunneling, worm holes, and that sort of stuff. However, at least on a macro scale, it's pretty much impossible for those sorts of magic things to happen. But that doesn't mean that you can't dream about it, learn a whole bunch about physics and try to find a loop-hole! There's a whole lot that we know but there's so much more that we haven't even touched on.

Hope that all helps. BTW, I'm a third year Physics and Mechanical Engineering dual degree undergrad, so I'm not pulling all of this out of no where. You should check out some of the wikipedia articles on this, especially on the particle accelerators at CERN and general and special relativity.

EDIT: I just wanted to add, after re-reading the first post, that accelerating something up to near-light speed and that immediatly stopping it, as done in a particle accelerator, would absolutly and completely obliterate any object, and that's only if you could somehow create a device capable of propelling anything larger then a few atoms to such speeds.
mOrpheuS
ocalhoun wrote:

You're in luck that I'm online today, and I saw your topic.
Because I do happen to have a solution.
note : I'll assume a basic understanding of the concepts of quantum physics on your part.

OK...to begin with, you'll need
  • two eggs
  • a glass beer bottle
  • a roll of aluminium foil
  • thin silk thread
  • a tube of superglue
  • some cottonwool
  • a spoon
  • a five dollar bill
  • few hair clips
  • a baseball bat and
  • a black board marker.

(note: Although the steps below are really simple, you must follow the procedure exactly...any deviation may result in failure to get the desired results)

So let's begin.

Using the superglue and hair clips, put together the aluminium foil and the spoon exactly as shown below

That's it ! all done.
Now you just place any object on this and it gets converted to pure energy and vice versa.

Messed up ? Not happy with the outcome ?

Try these stress relief techniques
  • draw funny faces on the eggs using the marker.
  • drink the beer.
  • use the cottonwool to make fake mustaches (for the eggs or your own face).
  • thread the 5 dollar bill, put it down at the parking lot and hide...pull it as soon as somebody bends down to pick it up.
  • play pretend with the face-painted eggs. Have them fight until one of them bleeds to death.
  • write pointless replies to pointless threads on a forum.
  • practice your putts with the remaining egg and the baseball bat.