FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

creating favicon

bluffmango
can anybody tell me how can i create a favicon..and how can one keep track of ones Link Exchange system, without going to every partner website and checking whether my link is still there or not...
phileplanet
bluffmango wrote:
can anybody tell me how can i create a favicon..and how can one keep track of ones Link Exchange system, without going to every partner website and checking whether my link is still there or not...

Do you mean actually make a favourite icon or do you want the html for it?
otiscom
Create a favicon by loading a graphic into pain, resize it to 32x32 px then save it as somename.ico and your done!
phileplanet
You could turn any image into an icon at http://www.graphicsguru.com/.
kelhamcrisis
If you visit this website, you can upload any picture you like and it will be automatically be converted into a favicon for you:

Code:
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/

Then, when you've saved the icon to your computer, you can upload it to your webspace in the same directory as your index page. Then add the following html code to the top of your index page between the <head> and </head> tags:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" >

if the name of your icon is "somethingelse.ico", change the html to be:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="somethingelse.ico" >

But you're probably better off just keeping the name favicon.ico

Hope that helps mate. Wink
abhinav_shah
What is favicon...?

Abhinav Shah
webbers
Normally, you would name the file "favicon.ico" and dump it into the main directory of your site, as well as any other directories containing HTML files that you think users might bookmark. That's all you need to do if you put your .ico file in the root directory of your site, Explorer will automatically display your icon when a user bookmarks any HTML file that lives in the root directory.
sush
@abhi: a favicon is an icon that is displayed in the address bar of the user's web browser (and also perhaps in the bookmarks list).

All you'll need is an icon creation app (Microangelo?). Once you create the icon (16px or 32px) just save it in the root folder on your webhost and you're good to go. If not use <LINK> and point the page to the favicon.

The online service above may be good enough if you don't like drawing. If you do, please keep the icon websafe (256 colours) or maybe high-colour if you're a little indulgent Wink No alpha!!!
IceCreamTruck
You'll need some kind of software able to save the icon in the 32px high 32px wide format maximum. check out The GIMP and check out my favicon while you are at it.

1. try free software that can make the ".ico". The GIMP
  2. the file MUST be called favicon.ico
  3. the file MUST be 32x32 pixels or less. Mine is actually 16x16 pixels
  4. the file MUST be in the root directory
  5. every file MUST reference it using <LINK REL="shortcut icon" HREF="/favicon.ico"> inside the <HEAD>...</HEAD> tags
  6. Internet Explorer and others don't always refresh favicons very well

Once you've done everything close your browser and go to the site directly via the domain only (ie. http://space.frih.net/) and the favicon should appear, but if it doesn't go directly to the favicon (ie. http://space.frih.net/favicon.ico) to make sure that the browser caches it. Close the browser and go directly to the domain again and it should appear. If it doesn't then try a browser like opera or firefox to see if it appears for them.

PS - you'll want your icon background to be transperant!! Different browsers use icons on different backgrounds, so I feel it works out best to use a transperant background for the icon, like my favicon
Tvis
I have another question about this favicon...

I made one, EXACTLY as mentioned in this threat...complete with the link, etc. It does work when I enter my main page through Frihost...HOWEVER...I also have a .co.nr name...and normally I load this one as it is easier to remember...AND...here the favicon does NOT appear. Is there any way to have it appear when I use my .co.nr to reach my main site??
IceCreamTruck
Tvis wrote:
I have another question about this favicon...

I made one, EXACTLY as mentioned in this threat...complete with the link, etc. It does work when I enter my main page through Frihost...HOWEVER...I also have a .co.nr name...and normally I load this one as it is easier to remember...AND...here the favicon does NOT appear. Is there any way to have it appear when I use my .co.nr to reach my main site??

It look for a favicon in the root directory of the domain, and this includes subdomains.

For instance: I have space.frih.net and web.space.frih.net
space/ is the root website directory
space/web is the directory that web.space.frih.net points to

This means the following must also be true:
space/favicon.ico is where I put favicon for main website
space/web/favicon.ico is where I put favicon for subdomain

It always checks the root directory of the site you are visiting for the favicon.ico file. You might have to refresh your browser, or delete your cache and grab a new copy of the page from the web to reviel the favicon.

I hope this solves your issue.
Ranfaroth
IceCreamTruck wrote:
the file MUST be called favicon.ico
Wrong.
First, if the image is not in the ICO format, it's stupid to call is something.ico : browsers will think it's an ICO file and fail rendering it.
Second, you can name it exactly as you want.
Quote:
the file MUST be in the root directory
Wrong, you can put the file whereever you want...

Have a look at this site to realise it....
Tvis
Thanks guys but both replies do not resolve my issue.

I can image that it works for IceCreamTruck, because you have your subdomain as well in Frihost. When I open my original website the one with Frihost in it, the favicon works...no problem at all, but if I use my (shorter) .co.nr address, which is easier to remember for my friends. then it just does not appear. I tried cleaning the cache and so on. I do have it in the root directory. I made the icon in Photoshop, for which I downloaded a patch to save files in .ico format. I just cannot get it to work when I enter in mu .co.nr address Sad
Ranfaroth
Can you give us a link ? Rolling Eyes
IceCreamTruck
Try The G.I.M.P. (GNU Image Manipulation Project). It's a lot like photoshop, but it's free for personal use, and it will render a true .ico image format. You won't need any scripts to modify the file.

I've tried the scripts to modify any file into a .ico, but they have known issues, and I, for one, experienced the same kind of issue that you are having.

Except my script .ico would work in firefox, but not in ie.

just remember the .ico must me either 16x16 pixels or 32x32 to be a favicon.
Tvis
I got it guys!!!!

on the freedomain.co.nr site I should had to activate the favicon option...I thought, let;s take a look if I find any information on there page. And there you have to tell where your favicon is located, as well as the name...after changing this, in 3 seconds it was ready...

Thanks for the help anyway!!
Wootinator
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Try The G.I.M.P. (GNU Image Manipulation Project). It's a lot like photoshop, but it's free for personal use, and it will render a true .ico image format.

photoshop is free, just depends on where you get it ;D

of the many fav. icons i have made.. .jpeg seems to work for me in fire fox...ill have to try it in ie
swizzy
www.dynamicdrive.com has an online favicon generator.. and it worked for me .. go on try it out
Ranfaroth
Wootinator wrote:
photoshop is free
No it isn't.
And anyway, it remains closed-source, so you're not free to improve it..
Tvis
swizzy wrote:
www.dynamicdrive.com has an online favicon generator.. and it worked for me .. go on try it out

Thanks for the link!! This works really easy and fast!!!
IceCreamTruck
I looked at the link. I just couldn't help myself. Cool site dude.

I like the 3D text script. [url="http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex10/circlemsg.htm"]click to see 3D![/link]

I'm going to try and modify it for [url="http://space.frih.net"]my site![/link]
jwellsy
I really like the 16x16 animated gif as a favicon.
IceCreamTruck
jwellsy wrote:
I really like the 16x16 animated gif as a favicon.

This is why I like computers. You learn something new every day! I never thought to animate a gif as a favicon, and I thought that they were supposed to be ".ico" files.

Can you animate ".ico" files?

-or-

Do you have to use ".gif" file extension?

Does this work accross different browsers?

I am going to play around with this idea a little bit, but I'm not sure when I will find the time. Answers to my questions will help speed me up though guys!