FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Disabling certain wireless computers?

WickedGravity
My In Laws have an intersting question that I need a little help with.

It seems their youngest son has been a naughty little boy and they want to take away a privilege from him, namely the internet.

He connects though Wireless and has a removable, USB I think, adapter.

However, the issue is how they want to do it.

1 They don't want to take away the Adapter, thusly letting him know that they did it.

2 They do not want to put a password on the network because he is about 5 feet from the wired computer and could easily remove it.

So, are there any ideas here?

Somethihg that they can do at the router? A 3rd party program maybe?
foggy
Many, many routers have filtering capabilities, either by internal IP or MAC address. They could use this function to deny his computer access to the Internet. As long as they have a decent password on the router it should be OK. That is, unless he resets it. You can hope he doesn't think that laterally. Surprised
El Mariachi
Firewall maybe?

If they don't want him to know they took it away, then how would he know he's being punished?
James Bond-007
WickedGravity wrote:
2 They do not want to put a password on the network because he is about 5 feet from the wired computer and could easily remove it.

Just do that and put a password on that computer.
WickedGravity
I guess the way we are going to have to do it is to go ahead and block his MAC address at the router, that way he is pretty well shut up there.

And to answer the question about how will he know he is being punished.

Trust me, with this kid, he'll know.
jvachez
You can hide the SSID of the network.

The MAC filtering is not efficient if you deny access because there are softwares to change MAC address. It's best to authorize MAC addresses because you need to know MAC address I you want to change it to enter the network.
parl
jvachez wrote:

This wont work if he knows what the ssid is, or uses a saved profile.

jvachez wrote:
The MAC filtering is not efficient if you deny access because there are softwares to change MAC address. It's best to authorize MAC addresses because you need to know MAC address I you want to change it to enter the network.

You could restrict access by only allowing certain MAC addresses rather than not allowing certain MAC addresses.

The best soloution to this is to take away the internet privledges and or the computer all together. Why would you want to punish someone on the sly?
guitarizt
parl wrote:
jvachez wrote:

This wont work if he knows what the ssid is, or uses a saved profile.

jvachez wrote:

You could restrict access by only allowing certain MAC addresses rather than not allowing certain MAC addresses.

The best soloution to this is to take away the internet privledges and or the computer all together. Why would you want to punish someone on the sly?

Don't disable the ssid it will slow everything down. I would have to say that taking the computer away would be something I would do, but I'll second everyone in saying that filtering the mac address would probably be what they want to do.

But if the kid's right by the wired computer you'd have to filter that out too, so what's the point? Why not just keep on eye on him?
WickedGravity
I thank all of you for your help in this problem, it has been resolved and to continue this thread is thusly an exercise in futility.

-locked-