FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My hard drives CD-ROm cannot read

jeddy
what should I do. My hard drives cd-rom cannot read and I save alots of my works and pictures in a cd-rw, now, how can I make it to work, do I have to buy a new pc or what? pls help.
paul_indo
If your CD ROM still spins up and tries to read the disk it may just be a dirty laser.

Get a cleaning disk and clean the laser in the drive and it may work fine.

If you are technicaly minded and familiar with electronic components you can pull the case off the CD ROM and clean the laser with a cotton bud and alcohol. This is the way I do it as I can get it really clean.

If you aren't confident with pulling the case off just stick with the first way.
sprk3
Before thinking about hardware problem.First try the cd in another system it may be cd or software problem.
toughtrio
to check if its a software problem, open DOS by the old 98 bootdisk and type x: where x is your CD-ROM letter and then type dir. If you successfully get all the file list, then your OS is having problems with the Cd-ROM drive.
If not, then I'd prefer that you just take it to a computer hardware shop and they will clean it .
Its better to pay a few bucks rather than making it out of order!!!
Well, if you still want to give it a try, just open the case of the CD-Rom and clean the lens with a SOFT TISSUE and DONOT touch anything else inside.
It will be difficult if its a CD-RW or DVD-RW or DVD-R since they are complicated to open.

Hope this solves the problem!!
ocalhoun
From what I can tell of your computer experience from your post, you have two options:
Get your local computer geek to do it for you, or buy a new computer.
Donutey
aack ^^^ Rolling Eyes
Quote:
or buy a new computer

its just the cd-rom drive easily and cheaply replaced a new DVD RW drive is $50 ish... all you do is pop off case panel, take out screws, unattach IDE cable, unattach power cable, pop in the new drive, put on screws, then IDE cable then power cable, then put the case panel back on...
ocalhoun
Donutey wrote:
its just the cd-rom drive easily and cheaply replaced a new DVD RW drive is $50 ish... all you do is pop off case panel, take out screws, unattach IDE cable, unattach power cable, pop in the new drive, put on screws, then IDE cable then power cable, then put the case panel back on...

You forget, there is already a problem that might not be the cd-rom.
quartz
Step by step:

If you didnt changed your PC hardware then i think its because dirty laser. Try clean laser with cleaning CD.

Maybe your CD is broken? Try another CD.

Maybe problems with OS? Try boot from Windows 98 boot disk (http://www.bootdisk.com/) and try read your CD from command prompt.
Code:
A:> X:<Enter>
X:> dir<Enter>

Replace X with CD-ROM drive letter shown when booted.

If nothing helps and you didnt changed your hardware, probably your CD-ROM drive is broken.

If you have Notebook, take it to store for repair.

If you have desktop PC:
Get your local computer geek
or
open PC case check cables inside your PC connected to CD drive, then boot and try open CD.
If no luck, buy new CD-ROM and replace old one. (match master/slave jumper setting with old CD-ROM before)