FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I can't run some programs? Why?

shamil
I have Xp installed computer. I want to use Flash, Dreamweaver but I can't. I installed them multiple times but no result. When I install it says it installed successfully. But when I click on the icon to open the cursor changes to wait like it is opening it after 1 or 2 seconds cursor changes to normal but nothing happens. I can't get dreamweaver open and no warning or error message. Do you know why? Please write. Thanks in advance.
wumingsden
Are you installing the right one, make sure that its for windows. I have XP and they both work on mine. Why not try the Programme Compatibility Wizard? Mine takes a long time to load up but this is the only problem I have. Are you downloading the programme from the official site?
longjack
shamil wrote:
I have Xp installed computer. I want to use Flash, Dreamweaver but I can't. I installed them multiple times but no result. When I install it says it installed successfully. But when I click on the icon to open the cursor changes to wait like it is opening it after 1 or 2 seconds cursor changes to normal but nothing happens. I can't get dreamweaver open and no warning or error message. Do you know why? Please write. Thanks in advance.

The only thing I can think of right off is that the program was installed under a diiferent account then the one you are trying to open it in. For example, it was installed from an administrator account and you're trying to use it in a default user account. Or, the reverse, you are trying to install it from a non-administrator account.

That's a unlikely scenario, though. I think an error message would pop up in that case, too.

Maybe there are invalid macromedia pointers from previous installs. The first thing I'd do is use windows to uninstall the macromedia programs, then also manually delete all macromedia folders and registry entries. Use a program like Regseeker (http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm) to clean up any invalid registry entries that may be left over from any previous installs.

If you have other macromedia programs you'll have to work around those folders, or just delete everything and reinstall it all again.

Reboot after the clean up and try the install from the beginning.

HTH

longjack
SunburnedCactus
Of course, you could use technical support if these were legitimate versions of the programs. Which of course they are...

Complaining about pirated software is like stealing a t-shirt from a store and then complaining that it doesn't fit.
shamil
to wumingsden
NO I don't know where it was downloaded or bought. But I installed it in win2000 it worked.

to longjack
No i do it in same account which is me having administrative rights. When I reinstall it I competely remove previous one.

But I installed same dreamweaver before and it worked but i was installed that Xp from another CD now I have another. What will the problem making the program to work on one Xp but not work on another xp?
otiscom
Try starting the programe again after just restarting computer.

But this time leave it about 2 minutes and see if it starts.

I've noticed with some apps they seem to take forever to start. (slow PC)

wumingsden
Maybe the reason is you've download it before then uninstalled it but not completely.
The XP bit, maybe the options for it to work ("compatibility") are not correct.

If its a legal version then get help on the official website, I believe they have a forum there for support. If its not legal then they cannot help you and I cannot think of anything else neither. I'll speak to some people about it.
longjack
shamil wrote:

But I installed same dreamweaver before and it worked but i was installed that Xp from another CD now I have another. What will the problem making the program to work on one Xp but not work on another xp?

Did you just use the windows uninstaller to uninstall, or did you also manually delete all the information dreamweaver has put on the hard drive and in the registry as well ?

You would have to delete the the dreamweaver folder in program files, and perhaps the macromedia folder in common files. Do a file search and delete all the dreamweaver related files.

If you delete those folders, then run the Regseeker program I linked to above, Regseeker will remove the dreamweaver registry entries because the files they point to are no longer there. It is also a good idea to go into HKLM /software/macromedia and delete any entries there.

The new dreamweaver may be trying to take it's information from info put on the system from an earlier install, so check thoroughly to make sure there are no leftover files from earlier.

longjack
shamil
Thank you for your replies. I have done all of you said. Yesterday I tried compatibility wizard but it also did not help. It seems the problem will not be solved unless I format dirive C and install Xp which i said it worked. But I can't understand why it doesn't work on one Xp but works on other Xp. Is there will be any difference between two Xp with same service pack. WHAT WILL YOU SAY ABOUT THIS.
If i install Xp which dreamweaver works I can't get good screen refresh rate which is 60HZ while this one is 85HZ. That is why i don't want to install it. just want to solve the problem.
longjack
The refresh rate depends on what monitor and video driver you are using, not the version of XP that is installed.

If you are using the same monitor and video card, just set the refresh rate to 85 in the advanced video settings control panel once you've installed the other XP.

longjack
shamil
longjack you wrote The refresh rate depends on what monitor and video driver you are using, not the version of XP that is installed.
Can you explain why this idea is not working on my computer? Becuause I say i can run Dreamweaver on one Xp and can not run on another. And I can't change refresh rate on one(because there is only one option and it is 60HZ) and can change on another?
longjack
If the monitor, the motherboard and the video card are the same in both of the XP installs, then the one install that only has the option for 60 Hz doesn't have the same video driver installed as the 85 Hz install.

That very well might be the problem with dreamweaver. 60 Hz sounds like you are using the default vga driver.

Most video cards are nVidia or ATI. Find out what card you have and go to nVidia or ATI and get the latest driver.

Get the freeware Driver Cleaner (http://www.drivercleaner.net/). Install it and follow the directions. You have to reboot into safe mode (press F8 at boot) and run the driver cleaner program. That cleans out all old driver files that may be causing conflicts.

When you boot back into normal mode, install the new driver you just downloaded.

HTH

longjack
mark
Check if your computer has enough RAM these programs need to work. I have several programs which don't work on my computer as well. I either contact microsoft, my computer manufacturer, the product manufacturer and finally, program compatibility mode.

Also, you must check if you are using the original version of your software and not something which 'looks original'. You must have been ripped off.