FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IE Problem

Adipolisite
Guys my explorer keeps on shutting down without any cause in the middle of browsing..im really worried....firefox is working fine..now what might have hapened to IE? please give in your ideas
ichibanjay
Have you ever ran any antispyware programs? There might be something hijacking your browser. I recommend:

-Lavasoft Adaware
-Spybot Search and Destroy
-Spyware Blaster (for prevention)
-Ewido
-Microsoft Antispyware

Those five are all free to use, Ewido is a pay for real-time protection but otherwise free. I always install these on any of my comps and those that I work on, this is because since spyware has not be definitively defined like viruses, each company has it's own standards.

Oh, all are available through http://www.download.com except Microsoft Antispyware, which you can get at microsoft.com.

Hope that helps.
KHO
IE finally gave up Neutral....if only, that would be cool Sad
But try looking in your running processes part of task manager, this requires you to be a little familiar with windows wierd names for their processes, but sometimes you can find something nasty in there, and this would begin your search to kill it. But yes, make sure and download some virus/spyware protection. Microsofts may not be the best, thats why l use ad-aware se personal for the scan, but Microsofts still gives free live protection.
otiscom
Who cares? If Firefox is OK, it's better than IE anyway.

In fact ALL other browsers are!!!

toughtrio
Yeah but still if you want to keep up with IE, check if you have the latest updates for it. The first version of IE had a little problems. Check your virtual memory size, thats the least possible problem, but still it matters sometimes.
Hope this solves your problem.
nam_siddharth
1st of all, install an antivirus. scan your system for viruses and spyware. And at last Install latest version of IE.
nam_siddharth
After all Internet Explorer is the best browser.
dkill001
could be a problem with ie or could be spyware...if spyware, d/l some anti-spyware apps like hijackthis, counterspy etc and see if this helps after you remove any offending software.

if the prob is with ie, try this site to repair http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_ie6.htm. if you are still running into trouble and are somewhat computer saavy, goto www.sysinternals.com and d/l filemon and regmon ... filemon monitors file usage and regmon for registry access ... run both of these progs, then run ie and see if you can get it to crash/quit/whatever and then freeze both filemon and regmon and see if you can see if there is a particular call or file that is causing the problem.

if you cant figure out what is going on, then switch to firefox like me (j/k).
khanzin
Just reset the internet explorer.

Click Start> Control Panel> Internet Options>

Navigate to the Advanced tab and click "reset".

This makes the internet explorer back to default installation.

PS:Dont work with I.E 6.0
MarzEz
try re-installing IE, or installing IE 7.
alternatively, just use firefox, the best of all web browsers.
IE isn't that bad... at least, it's better than netscape, but worse than safari.
jsarnold
Internet Explorer is not the best browser, contrary to the above post. Personally, I quit using IE a long time ago, and switched to Safari. It's the fastest browser available (beats Firefox hands down) and is very much more stable too.

One thing you didn't mention is whether IE is shutting down at particular times. For example, does it close down suddenly when you visit a particular site, or specific sites? Does it always shut down when you visit those same sites, or just sometimes? It could even be a rogue java issue.

The advice in this thread is good - re-setting IE and installing a complete set of security software. You'd be utterly crazy to go on the internet without a full suite of security software installed - it's just asking for trouble otherwise.

But why not give Apple's Safari a try? It's available for Windows now, and I've been using it for months. Having quit IE I tried Firefox for a few months, but wasn't overly impressed. I tried Google's Chrome (for about 10 minutes until i got rid of it just as quickly) and then gave Safari a chance. It hasn't let me down yet.
MarzEz
firstly: i never said IE was the best browser. i only said netscape was worse.
secondly, safari is ultimately retarded, whereas firefox is much more stable, and has a sh*tload more extensions like DownThemAll, a download accelarator.
FIREFOX RULES THE WORLD!
any other browsers are retaded.
(i haven't used google chrome yet, so that excludes it.)
jsarnold
MarzEz wrote:
secondly, safari is ultimately retarded, whereas firefox is much more stable, and has a sh*tload more extensions like DownThemAll, a download accelarator.
FIREFOX RULES THE WORLD!

Not that I think your post merits a response, but for the sake of trying to keep some common sense and manners in these forums:

1. I did not say that you claimed IE to be the best. If you'd read the thread, you'd have seen that that particular claim was made by nam_siddharth. There are other people posting in this thread besides you.

2. Your claim that Safari is 'ultimately retarded' shows an inordinate lack of understanding and awareness when it comes to software development. I can only assume you've only used Windows based PCs, but there are other computers out there called Macs, and Safari comes from a heritage well known to be far more stable and reliable than IBM compatibles. You offer no evidence to corroborate your claim - perhaps you'd like to enlighten us with some further information which you alone possess?

3. The fact that a browser has a great many extensions does not necessarily mean that it is therefore more stable, reliable or 'better' in some way. Perhaps extensions (I think you mean either addons or plugins) simply mean that those features were not included in the original browser. Having to search for, download and install a heap of extra software products, many of which have not been verified as reliable and stable themselves, does not speed up or improve the basic browser. Why not use a browser which doesn't need all those addons for its full functionality?

4. You claim Firefox is better than Safari, despite offering no evidence, and despite the fact that it requires a heap of addons just to get it to do what you need it to. May I point out to you again that an effective web browser is surely one which is both stable, and fast? Safari has a proven record in terms of stability, primarily as a result of its PC independent heritage. Additionally, Safari remains the fastest browser, on any platform, loading pages twice as quickly as Internet Explorer 7, and 30% faster than Firefox 2.

Perhaps you have some further evidence or information to support your claim regarding Firefox's 'superiority', although I should point out that my recommendation of Safari was only in response to the original poster's issues regarding web browser stability and reliability.
MarzEz
your answer to question 1:
jsarnold wrote:
Internet Explorer is not the best browser, contrary to the above post.

you should have said nam_siddharth's post, as the post above yours was my previous post.

as for question 2: i own a 400mhz G4 Mac, running Firefox, Safari, Netscape and Internet Explorer.

answer to question 3: you do not need the addons for functionability, they just allow you to customise/enhance your internet browsing.

and finally, in reply to question four, does this topic supply suficcient evidence?
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-1086.html
the poll would seem to suggest over 60% of people use firefox. maybe, just maybe, there's a reason for that...

anyway, shall we stop pointlessly bickering now?
internetjobs
it may be spyware issue.. scan your computer with good anti spyware....
gilwe
Adipolisite wrote:
Guys my explorer keeps on shutting down without any cause in the middle of browsing..im really worried....firefox is working fine..now what might have hapened to IE? please give in your ideas

upgrade to latest IE version and see if it helps.
tamilparks
better you can use the mozilla firefox its very nice and not affected by virus....
gilwe
Quote:
Guys my explorer keeps on shutting down without any cause in the middle of browsing..im really worried....Firefox is working fine..now what might have happened to IE? Please give in your ideas

Looks like IE instability issues. Why won't you just keep using Firefox anyway ?

I personally prefer it by much, over Internet Explorer.
tamilparks
mostly the virus affects the internet explorer so that only i asked to use mozilla firefox
malcolmpreen
MarzEz wrote:
FIREFOX RULES THE WORLD!

And you don't even mention Opera - which whilst it is being gradually caught by Firefox and Internet Exploder has been first with a lot of features....

I don't know how long ago they introduced tabbed browsing but it was years before the others caught up....

Malcolm
jvpgmunden
i don't think IE is better than Firefox.
i Use Firefox and never had Problems like in IE
Diablosblizz
The user that requested this hasn't posted in 4 years, I doubt he'll come back for this topic.
aningbo
lol... 4 years is a long time. i hope he is alive...
slashnburn99
upgrade to IE8, its no different to IE7 butit works on weekends Rolling Eyes
tamilparks
i think your system may be affected with virus, so please repair your ie or also you can upgrade to the latest version..