FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IBM or MAC for laptops??

NuniPio
i was thinkin of buying a laptop..but dont noe if i should get an IBM based or an IMAC?? anybody own an imac and can tell me their opinion compared to ibms. thanks Wink
venkateshwarans
I shall always prefer an IBM Thinkpad. IBM has more features and good service. Down here in India IBM service is fantastic. You generay don't get much service not with ibm. I once dropeed my laptop. The service detected a damage in the hard drive. They replaced the drive with the data for free. (I hid that I dropped the laptop). Apple is petty invisible. They are good looking sexy show off notebooks. Ibm is ahead on performance and features. It depends on what ou want.
Blaze
Dude you have got it wrong. IMAC is a desktop PC and not a laptop/

Go for a Ibook anyday. Check Apple stores @ www.apple.com/store
djpalmer93
hiyaz,

GO FOR AN iBOOK!!!

ive got one and they are FANTASTIC!!!

they run much better than any Windows OS and are far ahead of Windows with their Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger!

have a look at www.apple.com/macosx for Tiger.

and for the iBook look at www.apple.com/ibook
longjack
I have an IBM thinkpad, a couple of HP's and a G4 iBook, and my job is maintainig iBooks.

To answer a question with a question, what do you want to do with the laptop?

Bottom line, IMHO, is that windows machines are a better $$ deal upfront, but you have to know how to keep them spyware / virus free. The iBooks are not going to fill up with crapware, and I think they offer the better software assortment out of the box.

An IBM Thinkpad, if that's what you mean by IBM, is about the same price as an iBook, so you have to judge your ability to keep the Thinkpad safe and think hard about what software you want on it.

If, by IBM you mean a wintel machine, and only want a machine for just surfing and word processing, the window's laptop deals now for $500 or so are a good way to go, I think. Put Open Office and firefox /Opera on it, and if it breaks after a couple of years, get another one. Again, you have to know how to keep it clean.

I use the Thinkpad or the iBook for different jobs, but I probably use the Thinkpad more. There's a lot of free windows software I use in my job that I like, but I use the iBook more for remote maintenance of the macs I 'm responsible for.

A tough call.

longjack
benwhite
I'm going to go ahead and answer this question as Ibm compatabile versus Mac, no necessarily only the thinkpad versus the ibook--because mainly there are several versions of both.

It also depends on what capacity and capability you want. I have a powerbook G4 that I use a desktop replacement. It's battery life isn't great and it gets kinda hot, but it has no built in fan, so it runs much much much quieter than comparable windows laptops. It is also, of course, more expensive. Its basically just the cooler faster looking version of the iBook. Macs come with better built in software, so if you can create and manipulate media and the like right out of the box. Windows has nothing good to start with, but there is more program variety out there to choose from to make up for this.

To conclude: its a metter of preference. Macs are big trend now, and I personally like mine a lot. If you want no frills, no hassle and price isn't an option, a Mac of any kind if a good bargain. If you desperately need versatility and youre thinking with a budget, a comparable windows laptop is a better deal. I hae used both, and find that IBM products and Mac products are among the best I've used. You won't really go wrong.
RA
Given that I play all of my games on my laptop, I went with the high performance Dell Inspiron 9300. I would hate to have to try to find MAC versions of all the games I play.
Talk2Tom11
I would personally always go with something running windows over mac. Why would you want absolutely no freedom with your OS. Mac is good up to a point but windows has so much more going for it. Windows has more software made for it that is available to you. Mac is not worth the price either. I would go with the IBM.
NuniPio
Blaze wrote:
Dude you have got it wrong. IMAC is a desktop PC and not a laptop/

Go for a Ibook anyday. Check Apple stores @ www.apple.com/store

ma bad..see wat i mean i have no clue about them
ocalhoun
The older Imac's could go very long on one battery charge.
I intend to eventually get one and install linux on it.
Dino
PC and MAC are two different platforms, and i prefer mac becouse i don`t use win, OS X is great os, and on mac you can install Linux if you don`t want to use OS X, but on px platform you can install almost everything except OS X
headlong
I have used a few Thinkpads and iMacs. I think it really depends on what you are going to use with yout laptop. I would say Mac OS is good in many ways, but there are many more applications on the Windows platform. So it is really up to you.
Donutey
I think he meant IBM combatible... i.e. x86 processors... wait... I just realized the next generation of apples are going to be ibm compatible (Intel x86) ... lol... that's kind of ironic... Rolling Eyes
riv
Well, first of all, Macs rock.

So I say get an iBook, or a PowerBook if you have the money. You'll seriously come to love it. And you can install Linux on there too if you want to. But if you're a big gamer, You'll have to go with a IBM laptop, as new games takes a while for the decelopers to port it to Macs, but there's still games like World of Warcraft and such.
mars
I like IBM ThinkPad.

if you choose MAC,you can't use windows.

and ThinkPad T60 is coming soon.
Dino
i`m saving money for new t60, it is so great. I tried it on ibm`s presentation
NuniPio
Donutey wrote:
I think he meant IBM combatible... i.e. x86 processors... wait... I just realized the next generation of apples are going to be ibm compatible (Intel x86) ... lol... that's kind of ironic... Rolling Eyes

yea ibm compatible is what i meant.

ive used an apple imac at skool (desktop pc) and was wandering if the laptops are any different? coz i hated them...but ppl say the laptops are better
LordSata
I think that: if you have need a laptop is usless to wit the new generation of ibook or powerbook to buy a mac. Infact the new generation it will exit in July of 2006... Can you attend it? If no and if you use the laptop for work and you can't permit an interruption on your work i think is best that you buy a x86 laptop. Obvisuly of you decide to attend to buy a x86 i think that you can buy a x86 now. Or if you decide to buy a mac because a mac is a mac you can buy it now... the laptop is very good, and now the ibook mount 512MB of RAM and the SMS (sudden motion sensor) and the difference to an powerbook is minimal... (this is reguard only the 12' version)

I have buy one last month and i'm very happy for this. It is very cool and it is very performant... The battery works for 6 hours... i don't say other Very Happy
Kd527
I would most definately say Mac. iBook, or if you're looking for a bit more power (and have a little more money) then PowerBook.
Goatmonkey
Sir an iMac is a desktop. I think you mean iBook. And I would hihly reccomend an iBook just because of the OS that it runs and the Apps that come with it. I love my iBook and will always be a Mac user.
yenglin
Get an apple iBook or Powerbook. Reason 1. the operating system just works. when you click the x on a window, it goes away LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO. and with a program called virtual pc, you can run windows xp on it. Reason 2. it's easy to learn. i have been using windows for about 8 years and i know less than i do about Mac OS X and i've only been using a mac for less than a year. Reason 3. the warranty is awesome. reason 4. what more reason do you need???? GO GET ONE!
Rocky3478
If you don't need to upgrade right at this moment, then I'd wait for a few weeks. Apple is rumored to be introducing their new Intel iBooks, and I believe that they'll feature the Yonah core. They'll blow any current Mac laptops out of the water.....
ronitvohra
I shall always prefer an IBM Thinkpad. IBM has more features and good service,they are the best
Animal
What type of machine you buy is entirely a personal decision. Other people saying "buy this because I said so" is hardly helpful! (Sorry guys - I'll get hatemail for that one!)

Buying a laptop is a fairly major decision that you'll most likely need to live with for a few years, so you're best to go and try them out.

If you've been "brought up" with Windows PCs, you may find MacOS quite restrictive. You may also find it more difficult to get software for.

On the other hand, if you find Windows PCs hard to use, a Mac might be a breath of fresh air to you.

I'm personally a Windows user - I feel that they're more flexible, but I've yet to find a Windows based computer that's as pretty as an Apple Mac!!! If you can wait a few weeks before you buy one, Apple are just about to release their new Macs that use Intel processors - you could either get an excellent deal on an older model Mac, or you'll get the latest, most up to date version. Go to a shop, try it out, see how you get on.
Dino
maybe apples with intel procesors wil be cheaper
Natrualkiller
i would go with mac it has more "entertaning features"
driftingfe3s
NuniPio wrote:
Donutey wrote:

yea ibm compatible is what i meant.

ive used an apple imac at skool (desktop pc) and was wandering if the laptops are any different? coz i hated them...but ppl say the laptops are better

If you didnt like using macs before, I dont think you should get an iBook. The OS is very similar in how the style.

And what do you intend on using the laptop for? If you want to play games, PC's have more support than Macs do, as some games are PC only.

If you're not really into games and think you can get use to its OS, then get the ibook. Also, Macs have greater resale value compared to PC's if you want to sell it later down the line.
Ludjer
i dont't know why but in my opinion apple is sucks

ibm is a very good laptop but in laptops i also prefer Toshiba or a Dell
dcshoes23
I prefer a windows pc over a mac anyday, i've had lots of experience with both macs and pc's and i can't stand macs. I would say if u normally use a windows based pc then get a windows based laptop. Also I think a mac is more geared towards multimedia editing.
Kd527
I've found for myself and for most people I know, the old Apple ad "Once You Go Mac, You'll Never Go Back." is true. It's just so much better. Much easier to use, integrates beautifully with the hardware, Mac is just awesome. Did I mention how you don't have to get a headache with Mac? It's so easy.

BTW here's good reasons to make the switch. I recommend you go here: http://www.apple.com/switch/

Now If you wait till NeXT year, Apple will release Intel based Macs. In other words, you should be able to run windoze natively on an Intel Mac. Even now though you can use Virtual PC which is a PC hardware emulator. It does run slow, but it works. Wink