FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

TransAmerica

TRANScend
Anyone seen this movie yet? Just looking for opinions on it, as I've only read the NY Times review and not actually gone out to see it.
ejmaster
Yeah I have seen the show. I't is a little boring but if this is something that you are very interested in you should check it out. I can't tell you what time it comes on but it airs on Ine Indpendent Film Channel (IFC) if I am not mistaken....And if that's your kind of thing, I also heard that MTV has a new cable station called "LOGO".
TRANScend
Thanks for the tip! We'll be sure to check out LOGO . . .
linangan
"Transamerica" tries to accomplish the admirable but not easily achievable job of telling a story that's at once universal and particular, at once conservative and ultra-modern. Offering an examination of transsexuality, with certain realities discussed unabashedly, writer-director Duncan Tucker wears his liberal ideology on his sleeves.

Tucker's character-driven script contains a few plot elements that strain logic, but the dialogue sounds realistic enough for us to fee empathy for Bree's predicament. Forcing viewers to look at a phenomenon they don't know much about, the film tries to overcome people's biases against transsexuals by showing their humanity and decency. Rather than feel "sorry for" or "fear of" someone who is different, "Transamerica" preaches for greater understanding and compassion for gender and cultural diversity.

For better or worse (I think the latter), gender politics is an element of "Transamerica" but not its subject. Tucker's main concerns are loneliness, emotional honesty, and the need for human kindness.