FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hosting Question

RadioPunker
I was wondering, If I switch from my old host to this hosting will my files and mysql databases be lossed? Is there any way I can keep them? Also will I have to pay any transfer fee, or any fee at all for that matter to get this hosting?
Daniel15
Quote:
Also will I have to pay any transfer fee, or any fee at all for that matter to get this hosting?

No, no fees here, hence the "free hosting" Very Happy If you don't own a domain, you get a free "[yourname].frih.net" subdomain. If you do own a domain, you can point it to your account.

Quote:
I was wondering, If I switch from my old host to this hosting will my files and mysql databases be lossed? Is there any way I can keep them?

If you are transferring, what you need to do is:
Arrow Backup your old files and databases from your old host. DON'T get rid of the account yet.
Arrow Make your posts here and then request your account.
Arrow Once your account is set up, put the contents of the backup onto your FriHost account
Arrow ONLY once you're sure everything is working properly, you may ask your old host to delete your account.
Arrow Once this is done, you can change the DNS entries for your domain (if you have one).

This will guarantee that your site has no downtime. What most people do is get rid of their old account before even requesting one here. If they do that, their site will experience some downtime (depending on how long it takes for their request to be filled).

Also, if you have a forum, I suggest you put it into 'Maintainence Mode' (or something similar) so people can't post (just for a few hours until your account gets created). This will ensure that when you get your FriHost account, the backup you made will be in synch with your website on the old host.
KHO
And l know this is a little off topic, but it is totally worth any and all trouble this is, even backing up 2 gigs on a dial up, then uploading it again Neutral whic l had to do (but only about half a gig thank God)...and still am doing....l hate dial up Neutral for this is the ONLY web server l've found for free that offers all of this, and l have been looking for a LONG time[/b]