FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Good Website Styles

rob31
I believe it should be simple, two or three blending colours look great. The font should be simple, arial or something. Do not use comic sans unless your intended audience is under twelve!! lol.
dkbg
I would say do not use Comic Sans, period. As for Arial, I'd steer clear of that too, it's bland and overused, although I guess it could be practical in some circumstances due to its ubiquity.

There are many other screen geared fonts out there which most people will have and which are therefore practical for use on a website. And remember always specify multiple fallback fonts in your CSS (assuming you're using CSS, you better be...!) to account for people who don't have your preferred fonts installed.
Arcath
Comic sans is a deffinate NO unless oyu want t make a childish site, but why watse the time codig when they can use Freewebs??

I personally hate it when peopel use Bright Green and Pink and say that it looks great, all i sya is, it looks good when i turn down the brightness on my monitor!.
solarwind
use a menu in your website if at all possible. Also try to use frames. They are great and make the website look proffessional. When you use menus with frames, use css menus with good rollover effects that are not multilevel. When you use frames and need multilevel menus, use a tree view menu. Its what i use and they look great and are easy to use. They also offer a file explorer like view.
dkbg
Quote:
use a menu in your website if at all possible. Also try to use frames. They are great and make the website look proffessional. When you use menus with frames, use css menus with good rollover effects that are not multilevel. When you use frames and need multilevel menus, use a tree view menu. Its what i use and they look great and are easy to use. They also offer a file explorer like view.

I would really recommend against using frames. They're totally unnecessary most of the time, cause major accessibility issues, bookmarks become a problem, and can be ugly and confusing if not used correctly. I fail to see how they could make a site look "professional", if I visit a site using frames, I feel quite the opposite for the most part.

The menu tip is good, although most of the time it's pretty much a no-brainer. Using CSS is indeed the way to go (for the entire site actually, including the menu), and tree menus can be good at times, although superfluous usage of them can make a site cluttered with more links than are needed. You don't need to have every page presented to the user in the main navigation.
tingkagol
I never use comic sans. I often use verdana 10pt mostly and arial 11pt sometimes. Smile
a_dubDesign
www.bancomicsans.com A great site!

Today was the first day ever I heard someone mention frames in a good way, its craziness.

When it comes to fonts, stick to sans serif fonts, unless we're talking about print. The serifs in print keep your eye lined up better when printing can be a little messy. Not a problem on the web. Notice this site uses san serif.

A good, and very cheap, investment for web design is getting one of the little color wheels. Just a little spin and you get all your different types of color shemes, its excellent.
dkill001
I would never recommend the use of frames for a website because of the following points:
* Search Engines don't like frames. If your site uses frames, you have a big black ball.
* Users can't bookmark the URL—since it doesn't change. They always see the URL of the frameset.

As for font selection, I prefer Arial myself, but Sans Serif will work OK as well. As mentioned above, use a CSS that defines multiple fonts in case the viewer does not have the primary font installed on their computer.

Color selection, or color contract (between background & font) is also very important. I would keep the color selections chosen relatively "mild."
dkbg
dkill001, Arial is a sans-serif font. As for your comments about frames, I have already made them in my earlier post, although you have presented them more conspicuously.

Serifs being the small features which occur at the ends of strokes on serif fonts.