FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bill gates visit to India

akshar
Bill Gates is on 5 days tour of India. In his tour he declared that microsoft is going to invest 1.7 b us $ in India over a span of next 4 years. This will include upgradation of current R & D firms and setting up microsoft's offices in 33 new cities. This will give employment to over 3000 people in India.

He also mentioned that India is the most important country for Microsoft and the world has lot many expectations from India.

In general that gave a very feel good factor for Indians
venkateshwarans
Yes.... We indians feel a lot better. This is not just the story.
Big announcements in the past 10 -15 days:
1.semindia with amd invests $3billion
2.intel brings $1billion
3.Cisco brings $1.1billion.

Microsoft is in addition -
1.donating $250 million for combating diseases
2.promoting computers to rural india
3.Setting up ITacademy - a high performance computer center

and much much more.....
avk
Yea!!
Bill gates is really helping INdia a Lot

I think that he is.....................Hey!!
I am not thinking any thing!!!!!!!!

akshar wrote:
Bill Gates is on 5 days tour of India. In his tour he declared that microsoft is going to invest 1.7 b us $ in India over a span of next 4 years. This will include upgradation of current R & D firms and setting up microsoft's offices in 33 new cities. This will give employment to over 3000 people in India.

He also mentioned that India is the most important country for Microsoft and the world has lot many expectations from India.

In general that gave a very feel good factor for Indians
hac
Yeah, this can be a really helping hand for India's IT field. I ust wish we are ablev to woprk hard to make the most out of this oppurtunity.
jovemac
Microsoft has long viewed India, a country of 1 billion people with a fast growing economy, as a potentially huge market, and this will be Gates' fourth visit. He'll meet with senior Indian officials, business leaders and programmers and detail Microsoft's long-announced plans to invest $400 million in India in the coming years.

Gates is an icon to legions of programmers in India, and Indian leaders and business moguls line up to shake hands with him when he visits.

But Microsoft has found itself contending with the fact that many Indian companies are increasingly turning toward open source operating systems, particularly Linux, as a low-cost alternative to Windows.

Open source operating systems allow users to copy, distribute and modify the program's code, and are relatively cheap compared to proprietary systems like Windows, which does not allow users to modify its secret code.

"Gates' visit comes at a time when Microsoft's domination is very much being eroded," said Javed Tapia, head of Linux vendor Red Hat Inc.'s India operations. "This time, we have a lot of success stories to show him."

While exact figures are hard to come by, a survey of Indian companies by Network Magazine released in June found that nearly 40 percent use Linux to run their servers. The magazine polled 340 companies, and offered no margin of error.

However, Microsoft insists its market share in server operating systems grew from 57 percent in early 2004 to 65 percent in late 2005. "We continue to consolidate on the Indian market and are excited about our growth," said Vaibhav Phadnis, director of Microsoft's server business in India.

Still, there's ample anecdotal evidence that Linux and other open-source operating systems are making inroads.
akshar
Bill gates has also helped india to curb AIDS and the condom makers in India had very high hopes this time. But no good news for them
Borse
I think its just to improve the capabilitys of the india help desks so that more companies can outsource there! Razz
sunrise
Borse wrote:
I think its just to improve the capabilitys of the india help desks so that more companies can outsource there! Razz

Hey, if it works, then it works. It doesn't matter if people don't like Bill Gates or Windows, but atleast, he is investing money for future development.
alkutob
I heard that he visited Jordan before some months too
frozenhead
Well, Yeah.. I have seen a lot of projects of Indians who are really good in Visual Basic (that is a product of Microsoft). So, I would not have a second thought why the company say India is important to them.
menhao
LOL, maybe Mr. Gates said this too many times, i remember he said China is the most important country for M.S several years ago. and I think M.S will never help a country, no matter with this country locate where, how many people live in there, all M.S cares is lower the costs, and make more benfits.
akshar
Indian care very little about his words. He was taken back in the meeting with indian industrialist when Mr. Rahul Bajaj put a very difficult question to him

We are happy because
1) 3000 good white collered jobs
2)1.7 B $ investment
mOrpheuS
jovemac wrote:
Copy-pasted article

Copy-pasting articles when starting a thread is one thing, but copy-pasting in your replies ?!!! Shocked

Please don't copy paste articles.
That is considered as spamming.
vignesh_natraj
Indeed we Indians should fell proud.There are many investment
and FDI's pouring into the country. and speaking about Microsoft
it has a high hope for India and I think BillGates has a personal
favouring towards India.It aims to develope centers like Chennai,Coimbatore,Bangalore,etc.