FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

mambo

c_nopaty
it's a good idea to use mambo
www.mamboserver.com

www.gruda.tk -->indonesian art
Commando_Sondre
You should use Joomla!
Its the producers from Mambo thats making a new CMS...
www.joomla.com
bboy_nycb
What is the difference with the other CMS?
bboy_nycb
Which one can offer a multi-lingual solution, that is to say designed for users who can't read English for instance?
lucifertje
both have multilingual sections but it depends on what language you do speak...
Arnie
I suggest not using a CMS if you can use HTML. Only if you have a lot of people managing the site and not all can deal with HTML, a CMS is an option. Or if you want a replying function to your articles. But using a CMS just because 'everyone does' (i.e. it has status) is stupid. It's simply not always the best solution.

I'd suggest Limbo, the light edition of Mambo.
joe_nl
Joomla is based on Mambo, but now there is one differance: if you have Joomla, you can edit the files (the source code) as you want to have it.

Since Mambo developed Joomla, Mambo isn´t open source any more.

That means: With Joomla you can edit the source to whatever you want, when you use Mambo, you can´t do a thing, exept for making posts and so on, and waiting for an update.

Mambo is the main-source, and because the developers want to have the official version (Mambo), and the open-source version (Joomla) apart of each other, there is an upgrade packet for Mambo, so you can shange your Mambo version into Joomla, whitout loosing your data and configuration.
neomax
I think it is mambo;
Why Joomla is better;
Will anybody answer my question
Kostej
I use joomla, but I don't know what for is the singing, it's only more difficult to control.
zorindart
At this moment of time Mambo and Joomla are very similar. The main difference is Joomla is open source software, and therefore you are allowed to see its code, and to add your own.
Mambo's code belongs to a private enterprise, and you cannot change it.
For now, both are free, but if you decide to use mambo you have to be aware that if its owners decide to become it payable,you are going to pay for it (at least if you want to upgrade). Also open source components and add-ons are not be likely developped for mambo any more.
Joomla has a grat developers team behind it, and is developing fast. In the next few month they're launching v.1.1, with multilingual support and a lot of new and exciting features. Also there ar a lot of people working in new components and templates for joomla.
So ... you decide.
Mustek
I like joomla very much, it's very easy to use, but mambo has more skins... If i had to choose, I should put them both on and the one i like more is Mambo, it's older then Joomla and has more things.

This was my first post Very Happy
zorindart
For now, you can use all templates or components either in Mambo or in Joomla. In the case a mambo component doesn't works on Joomla, you just change the suffix 'mos_' for 'jos_' in the entries of the xml file related with mysql and you're done.
Remember than until now, mambo and joomla components have been released under GNU license, so you're allowed to change their code.
Anyway, when you download a component, you can see under what conditions you can use it.
lovelypp
Arnie wrote:
I suggest not using a CMS if you can use HTML. Only if you have a lot of people managing the site and not all can deal with HTML, a CMS is an option. Or if you want a replying function to your articles. But using a CMS just because 'everyone does' (i.e. it has status) is stupid. It's simply not always the best solution.

I'd suggest Limbo, the light edition of Mambo.
cknight411
THOUGH I am relatively new to webdesign I noticed numerous websites have too much clutter. I am in the process of designing a site that is selling specialized technical services involving digital signage and mutli-dispplay technology.

Would it be better for the clients (non-technical) to show a graphics of before and after along with a touchy feeling about the business owner and get on with it? Competitive sites bog the consumer down with speeds and feeds.

~Carolyn
briancoit
Do people rate this higher than xoops then?

Always wondered that, but havent had the chance to test mambo or joomla properly!
Arnie
Carolyn: nowadays connections are usually quite fast, so you have to worry less about the large downloads. But just don't put anything unnecessary on your site. I have most respect for people that make a good layout without using bricks like Flash, or making every page a complete image. HTML and CSS, and occasionally a nice picture. That should do it.

Or you could go with the GNU-style website like www.gnuplot.info. But that is probably not appealing enough for a buisiness.