FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Game Maker

Billwaa
I am just wondering if anyone here use Game Maker to make games and software. I think it is a awesome program. I can make basically all type of games with it, and it's quite easy too.
wumingsden
I've tried the programme and I have no idea of where to start so I gave up after about 5 minutes. Then again I am only 15.

Could you write a tutorial in the tutorial section of how to go about making a simple game?
I would greatly appreciate it and I'm sure lots of other people will too.
windval
i do not hear about this programme

what is it about?
Eyre
wumingsden wrote:
I've tried the programme and I have no idea of where to start so I gave up after about 5 minutes. Then again I am only 15.

Could you write a tutorial in the tutorial section of how to go about making a simple game?
I would greatly appreciate it and I'm sure lots of other people will too.

+1...You beat me though, i gave up after less than one minute >_<
prongs_386
i have never once found a "game maker" style program that can make a quality game. The only way to produce a good game is to code yourself, start with a open source engine and build on it. It's more flexible and is not held down by the confines of the other program.
Billwaa
guys, I learned how to use the program by myself in 6th grade...

The GMC forum should help.

http://forums.gamemaker.nl

Learning

http://www.gamemaker.nl/tutorial.html

Games

http://www.gamemaker.nl/games.html
http://forums.gamemaker.nl/index.php?showforum=12

editable are the one you can edit

hoep this help
sudha
thanks for telling about game maker Surprised
going to download the game maker Arrow
soon will be meeting u for the support if any Question
acron170
i am in 6th grade and i own(registered and i rule at it) it! Seriously i made a cd/file player, game where you shoot clowns to save princess allison, and i made a clickdaclown game off of the gm tutorial but added alot of crap. check ultimatefw.1l.com/Downloads.html for the ucdp and clickdaclown game. Try em out and e-mail me at jundis@gmail.com with your feedback
RiCtee
I was taught at school how to use Game Maker. I think it's lousy though Surprised. Why not just learn a programming language, you can do a lot more than just drag in icons. It's also rather limited to what you can create. But I think it's rather good that it introduce you to the programming world, for newbies. Mr. Green
dcshoes23
I've never heard of it but, i used to use click'n'create, seemed like an alright program but to make the best games ur gonna have to cod it urself.
blu3bird
clicking and dragging icons saves u time, time frm coding the same code which others had done years ago. it allows u to think bout how ur game is going to be, instead of how the hell ur going to code and debug ur game. programming aint tat easy, u cant master it in a matter of few days.
d722002
oh yeah, GO GAME MAKER!!!

I have been using it for several years now, great program. GM6 is awesome. You guys should check out some of my games when theyre finished to see just what GM can do.
neomax
Has anybody tried gamestudio;
It is a beautiful one in this category ! Razz
kansloos
Game Maker is limited to 2D games.
You cant make use of 3D-Objects
Xcelerate
Game Maker is a great program. When I was 11 I used it to begin learning programming (its scripting language, GML). After writing my own icon creation program which used its binary file manipulation functions, I needed to move onto a more powerful language, hence C++.

So, I have to say it is great for getting started programming! (Although its not really meant to do that.)

And in fact, it can create 3D games, you just have to use a lot of scripts with trigonometry calculations.
Tempest
to be honest gamemaker sucks big time buy a copy of microsoft visual basic start learning basic programming watch some tutorials and buy some books and when you have mastered VB go on to C# and C++

btw my first post lol Laughing
Cridiron
I used to use Game maker a long time ago...It's pretty cool, and it's really great for begining coders...
d722002
Xcelerate wrote:

And in fact, it can create 3D games, you just have to use a lot of scripts with trigonometry calculations.

Not any more. GM6 has built-in 3D Functions. codes like:
Code:
d3d_block(10,11,11,10)

or something like that.
Pikokola
Yup. for sure It's a nice program - since I'm like game fso much Very Happy -

In other hand, It's hard to understanding when you doesn't know anything about programming, and It's hard to use if you didn;t have at least 800x600 resolution Sad

Over all. It's a very nice program, the winner of game making competition for personal team in my country use this program I guess Smile
simplyw00x
Gamemaker only has Drag and Drop for noobs. All good games are made in GML, the integrated programming language. Noobs.
odinstag
I have this program,the retail version.

I am currently learning how to use it. Most of the tougher stuff seems to be the graphic art to go witht he coding. Because the coding itself is pretty straight forward.

I have made a couple simple games. Nothing special, just test code that I did while gettinga feel for how things worked.

I am not working with it right now. I will come back to it in a month or so when I get the wild hair to mess with it some more.
d722002
simplyw00x wrote:
Gamemaker only has Drag and Drop for noobs. All good games are made in GML, the integrated programming language. Noobs.

Damn Straight.

And the $20 to unlock a few extra features is definitely worth it. (unlocks 3D, Online Multiplayer capabilities, CD Playback functions, particle systems, etc.)
sudha
i tried gamemaker it's good for nothing Sad
i kept working on it last 5 days
finally i deduce that it's good for nothing

if looking for game of present world it's simply useless
Embarassed

i am going to try the game studio
hope it gives me extra power to development for present standard games
Very Happy
Stella Vibes
simplyw00x wrote:

You sir are not fully correct with this. Many game companies by what we like to called compilers and engines. Some of these already have a Drag and Drop feature, But each company has the ability to add there own could into the software, adding to the already inputed code. Like many compilers/engines use C++ and Java, but many gaming companies add on to this. Game Maker is a game engine and compiler into one, Its good to start out on to learn, but calling everyone that uses it a noob isn't fair, there are people out there that uses it and are way past the beginner level of game development.
If you want more information on Game Development i suggest you sign up for Game Developer Magazine. Its used by many Big companies and small companies alike involved in gaming, they are also one of the sponsers to E3 and gives away discounts to its subscribers. GdMag.com is the site.
Stella Vibes
sudha wrote:
i kept working on it last 5 days
finally i deduce that it's good for nothing

if looking for game of present world it's simply useless
Embarassed

i am going to try the game studio
hope it gives me extra power to development for present standard games
Very Happy

if you are talking abotu 3D game studio I suggest you keep looking
The games come out looking like very mid 90s 3d like ewww.
But its level design feature is awesome though.
I suggest using 3D studio Max to make al lthe character and items and etc you want then apply them to the programs in 3D Game Studio
simplyw00x
Quote:
but calling everyone that uses it a noob isn't fair, there are people out there that uses it and are way past the beginner level of game development.

I am one of those people. I call people that use the Drag'n'Drop noobs. It includes a fairly competent language called GML that I and anyone competent use.

Quote:

No, you are good for nothing. Trying a program for 5 minutes and then giving up because you can't get "game of present world" (whatever the HELL that is supposed to mean) is not a fair analysis. Game maker is excellent as the level of technology it allows lets a single person create a game start-to-finish, and a few people create a really good game. Look at 3D Studio and see how many (good) finished games there are and compare with game maker. Sure it may not do bitchin' effects and whatnot but it's easy to use in the good way, and powerful in the other good way.
3D games are too much work for the normal person and if "game of present world" were so easy to make that an obvious noob could make one in 5 minutes then game designers would go broke quickly.

Quote:
And the $20 to unlock a few extra features is definitely worth it.

It sure is. BUY IT NOW!!!

Quote:
I am currently learning how to use it. Most of the tougher stuff seems to be the graphic art to go witht he coding. Because the coding itself is pretty straight forward.

True words right there. Try a less graphics-oriented game, get graphics off the internet or enlisty the help of a graphic artist. Keep with it and keep going; something good will come out eventually.
d722002
Quote:
True words right there. Try a less graphics-oriented game, get graphics off the internet or enlisty the help of a graphic artist. Keep with it and keep going; something good will come out eventually.

Try making a game with simple graphics; Get the engine working then worry about making it look good.