FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

3d Modeling

Alie
Few months before I started to model in Wings 3D (only box modeling). After I finish modeling - export the mesh to the 3ds max (format .3DS). Than I have a problem in texture library: I can't apply any bitmap image as a texture map.... If anyboby knows what can I do??
By the way, in which program you are modeling? Cool
noliver
It wil most probably be better to export it as an OBJ file and then to use UVMAP to "skin" it.
Try http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jmandmc/uvmap/uvmap.html

I prefer Rhino3D to model with.
Alie
noliver wrote:
It wil most probably be better to export it as an OBJ file and then to use UVMAP to "skin" it.
Try http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jmandmc/uvmap/uvmap.html

I prefer Rhino3D to model with.

OBJ and 3DS formats give the same result in Max because of non-coordinated vertexes (as I know). I have never tried to work with UVMAP - I'll start with some tutorials...
By the way, why Rhino3D? Whatyou can do in it? Maybe it would be better to start studyng Rhino then UVMAP using....
noliver
I have never used Max just simply because I dont have the software. I have seen some amazing things done in Max, but I think it depends a lot on working with an interface that you like. I happen to like Rhino's interface - so I am sticking with it. At the end of the day - any 3d Modeller program really does what the other one does - its just the way they do it. I would say download some demo programmes of all of the modellers that you can lay your hands on - and then select the one you are comfortable with.

Have Fun ! Smile
Alie
noliver wrote:
I have never used Max just simply because I dont have the software. I have seen some amazing things done in Max, but I think it depends a lot on working with an interface that you like. I happen to like Rhino's interface - so I am sticking with it. At the end of the day - any 3d Modeller program really does what the other one does - its just the way they do it. I would say download some demo programmes of all of the modellers that you can lay your hands on - and then select the one you are comfortable with.

Have Fun ! Smile

Can you give me link to any usefull Rhino3D site?
noliver
Rhino ( the company itself ) has quite a good website.

http://www.rhino3d.com/
squeakypants
No, 3ds max is the way to go. Though it really depends on your style. 3dsmax is just simple yet powerful. But why are you box modeling in another program? Box modelling is easy is 3ds max!

Make your box.
In the modify panel: add cuts to each side.
Right click on the box: Convert to Editible Poly
The modify panel has everything you need now

There are many tutorials on it in the tutorial help file that came with it. Try out low-poly character modelling, it's really simple but when you apply the meshsmooth it looks really nice.
Alie
squeakypants wrote:
But why are you box modeling in another program?

Because most of my time I spend outdoors with pentium II. I have no problem with modeling in Max. But my notebook can't start ehis program Laughing and I have to model in Wings3D ... When I come back home - I render models...
doug hines
might even try converting the .bmp to a .jpg image file

I have modeled in lightwave, max, and maya. i prefer maya due to the power it gives me in creating production quality cg movies (see my site for the one im currently working on: "project: fresh meat" just follow the link on mly sig)

lightwave and max each have their pros and cons
lightwave is relatively easy to use (though the camera controls are different) and i love the ease in which you can transfer between poly and nurbs/subdiv

max is also easy, except that all tools are tucked into a massive list on the side.

i take my models from maya into zbrush (another excellent modeling program) and do high detail sculpting
Alie
ZBrush it's really the best! I saw some a few models after working in ZBrush. They are really good. I wanna learn it to, but I'm a bit newbey in 3d and that is why I don't want to start working in ZBrush before I'll be able to model easely in Max.
doug hines
Alie wrote:
ZBrush it's really the best! I saw some a few models after working in ZBrush. They are really good. I wanna learn it to, but I'm a bit newbey in 3d and that is why I don't want to start working in ZBrush before I'll be able to model easely in Max.

i recommend learning it side by side
the two programs are different so you wont confuse the commands between the two
Alie
doug hines wrote:
Alie wrote:

i recommend learning it side by side
the two programs are different so you wont confuse the commands between the two

I'll try, but I must find this program first Wink and few tutorials to understand it...
doug hines
here's an example of a low-res model i just finished roughing out in zbrush. now i get to go back and add high-res detailing... but that's a task for tomorrow.

crawler
Alie
doug hines wrote:
here's an example of a low-res model i just finished roughing out in zbrush. now i get to go back and add high-res detailing... but that's a task for tomorrow.

crawler

Let's see... Wink
By the way - http://www.zbrushcentral.com/ is a good link...
albusa
amazing, wow beautiful
doug hines
Just wondering if anyone is a good vehicle/weapon designer/modeler
Alie
doug hines wrote:
Just wondering if anyone is a good vehicle/weapon designer/modeler

Mech modeling is not so difficult as organics, face and body modeling, but needs a lot of work...
Tell me, doug hines, have you any good tutorials about texturising in 3ds Max 7?
I'm very interested in tutorials about texturising jewels...
doug hines
Alie wrote:
Mech modeling is not so difficult as organics, face and body modeling, but needs a lot of work...
Tell me, doug hines, have you any good tutorials about texturising in 3ds Max 7?
I'm very interested in tutorials about texturising jewels...

mech modeling is not hard, I agree. My problem is the concept stage. I have poor traditional hand drawing skills. I cannot put my photorealistic, fully textured (with disp/bump, diffuse, and spec maps), modeled (organic, toon, or mech), rigged, and lighted ideas from my head to paper. I think it's because im a perfectionist with a tad bit too little patience. i was asking more along the lines of if anyone could draw some

anyways, back to your question. It has been many years since i tangled myself in the menus and submenus of max. while I do not have any tutorials dealing with max, the texturing is still going to be the same in most 3d programs.

the material is really what you'll want to be messing with, not the texture (unless you're going for a layered gem like cat's eye agate or something with similiar designs inside the gem itself)

select a color base, then tweak the translucence, transparency, diffuse, and specular settings to your liking. if you want to do layered gems, you're going to get into alphas and their varied settings. if you'd like, i can make you a tutorial, just let me know
Alie
doug hines wrote:
if you'd like, i can make you a tutorial, just let me know

Oh really? Thanks! Of course I want! I've already opened new topic in tutorials category, but resaved no answers... Sad I'll be very glad if you'll write there any good tutorial.
This is the link to the topic that I'm talking about. By the way, can you also explain me how to use multi/subobject material?

P.S. I said "textures" but talked about materials... Rolling Eyes