FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

xp speed problems

leokingofthelion
I have windows xp home edition sp2. my computer run slow and buggy. the apperence of the display are distorted. I think I have a messed up version of xp. any ideas to speed windows xp up? or how to rebuild windows xp without the original cd? Any suggestions? help would be appreciated!
big d
check to make sure that your computer is able to run XP
leokingofthelion
it ran perfectly fine when we first got it!
kv
Then most probably it is a virus. Install and run a good antivirus.
Ping
Quote:
or how to rebuild windows xp without the original cd?

By rebuild do u mean reformat? As long as u have the CD key u can use anyones Windows XP CD. Thats all i would do. There is nothing like a clean install and that out of the box experience! Very Happy
toughtrio
The best method to reduce Display errors is to first check your pc for the latest drivers, then follow the steps:

1)Right click My computer and click properties
2) GO TO ADVANCED
3) Click setting in performance
4) click tune for best performance option button
5) click OK and Ok

Your PC should work much faster
toughtrio
You should also consider always clearing the /Windows/prefetch and delete all files in it as the are unnecessary and speeds up your booting time alot.
benjamincblunt
Most likely if you've done all the anti-virus and anti-spyware stuff and your computer still is running slow you either 1) have too many applications running at a time or just at start up and your RAM isn't that much or can't handle it 2)you have too much stuff saved on your hard drive and you need to think about getting a newer, bigger one or deleting stuff that you don't need. also concerning RAM the best application that I could reccomend that would help with your RAM is MemTurbo
otiscom
Before messing about with anti-virus (I doubt very much you have a virus), or cleaning out prefetch (it does spead up XP) etc., you should backup all your files (docs, images etc.).

Then (and only then) re-format and re install XP (Pro if you can get it) and SP2 and all your apps.

You will now be amazed.
paul_indo
You haven't given any info on your PC. How much RAM do you have and what processor?

WinXP needs at least 500Mb RAM and I wouldn't use less than a 1Ghz processor.
aardvark
Reinstalling Windows XP is usually the most effective cure for serious problems. What you do need to do though is back up everything first. If you have a DVD writer then writing to DVDs using one of the many free backup programmes is the easiest way, or copy to a spare hard drive if you have one.

There is a copy of the excellent Paragon Drive Backup programme on the cover CD of the current issue of Personal Computer World.
nam_siddharth
To run Windows XP SP2 properly, at least 256 MB of RAM is needed. Proccessor speed do not matter, because it runs smoothly even on 700 MHz processors
mark
These are probably the symptons of stuffed up memory or other such things. Check if you have enough memory to run XP. Make sure you have more than 256 atleast. Also check the memory of your graphics card. I suggest it should be more than 32 MB.

Finally, although this must not be the case, scan your computer fully for viruses and other spyware or malware. If none of these work, try msconfig, disable some unnucessary programs which you do not want to run at startup. If none works, then a reboot and upgrade is the only option on the list.
Rsamaster
leokingofthelion wrote:
it ran perfectly fine when we first got it!

If there's corrupted system files, you can repair it by inserting the xp disc and select 'repair'.

Or you can try to defragment the drive which makes starting applications considerably faster.

For a good antivirus, try Norton AntiVirus at symantec.com

Also, there's no way to rebuild windows xp without the Cd. So either you have to buy one or download one.
webbone
I'm run home edition sp2 too,But it's very fast,I think your computer must install more application and have some virus and no firewall!
Dino
try to defragment partitions on your disk, but it can`t be primary problem of slow working, i suggest you to reinstall win or try linux Smile
Pikokola
Welll wellll...

why don't you try to Defrag and delete some unecessary files, since too much data in your HDD can slow your computer (it's better if you free it up to 15% or more)

The other thing, if you're connected into internet, make sure that thaere's no trojan or worm viruses it could eat too much bandwitch and ram at same time Sad

And maybe you can turn off or shut down some programs (that running on background) that you don't use, it's eats rams lol Smile

since it's so many things that can slow your computer down, why don;t you write down your comp spec here? It will give us so much help Smile
ben8coast
So far I have noticed that XP Pro seems to slowly build up an excess of "rubbish" that eventually reaches a critical mass and slows to the point of being really annoying. I know there are a multitude of cleaners available for the registry etc, but I must admit I've reached the point where one to many legacy items have accumulated.

Anyhow the plan for this holiday is to do a complete rebuild.

Has anyone done this recently and have some tips.

I have backed up all software, documents.

Found all my driver cds - fortunately my wife filed them for me.
gh0stface
Take a look at tweakxp.com

There are a lot of tweaks that'll help keep your system in tip top and fast shape.

Such as turning System Restore, File Indexing and whatnot.
dzo
Also, try this.

Uninstall all the windows updates other than SP2

Microsoft updates windows with patchs for stuff you may not use or even have, this bloats windows.

Next time the auto update thing comes on, make sure what your downloading is relevent to you (dont set it to automatic)
darknesscloud
ok a combination of things
(1) massive spyware
(2) conflit with ur video card
(3) dont have the ahrdware 4 it
(4) ur windows is messed up try formatting
pacslim
darknesscloud wrote:
ok a combination of things
(1) massive spyware
(2) conflit with ur video card
(3) dont have the ahrdware 4 it
(4) ur windows is messed up try formatting

(5) mayby your hardware is broken like ur monitor or and pc or and cards in it ! Wink Arrow
dan751
I'm not here to knock anyone's opinions here, here are my suggestions:
Step 1: back up all your documents and other personal data to an external hard drive.
Step 2: do a fresh install of Windows XP. if you haven't done any modifications to your computer, then it should be fine.
Step 3: I highly recommend System Mechanic Standard from Iolo. Here's the link: http://iolo.com/system-mechanic/standard/. *psst* I know it's a bit costly but I swear by it 110%
Step 4: (Apologies to everyone who suggested Norton or Symantec; they're the same thing) I strongly recommend against both. If you want a rock solid [paid] antivirus software, look to Eset NOD32 Antivirus at http://www.eset.com They also have firewall and anti-spam and anti-virus suite called Eset Smart Security. Again, same recommendations as Iolo's software, although it is costly. For a Free anti-virus I haven't had problems with look into Avira at :http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus
After you have your security software and system maintenance software in place, restore your documents and other data and you should be good to go. I also agree with those who suggest deleting data in the prefetch folder from time to time. I've been working with Windows systems since age 8 and have seen a lot in the windows world. I hope this helps.

~Cheers! Cool
cybersa
Nice suggestion.

What you think about avast free antivirus?
Is it worth?
dan751
cybersa wrote:
Nice suggestion.

What you think about avast free antivirus?
Is it worth?

Hmm.. Avast is one that I haven't actually used. According to PC Mag, it looks like it could be worthwhile. Follow: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358288,00.asp

I can't tell you what to do, I can only give you my opinions. Smile

~Cheers! Very Happy
cybersa
Thanks for your information.
FunDa
Windows needs to be formatted and e-installed once a year atleast.

So keep your Windows CD with you.

My friend formats and reinstalls every 2 months (because he installls a olot of software and even after uninstalling, some software doesn't go sompletely and slows the computer down)
mukesh
leokingofthelion wrote:
I have windows xp home edition sp2. my computer run slow and buggy. the apperence of the display are distorted. I think I have a messed up version of xp. any ideas to speed windows xp up? or how to rebuild windows xp without the original cd? Any suggestions? help would be appreciated!

Update your windows and scan computer then i think your computer working process fast.