FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Riddles. Win FRIH$ :-)

Helios
Let's begin with a damn easy one for just 1 frih$:

You're in a cold room in the heart of Siberia and you have only one match left. The room contains a lamp, a kerosene heater, and a wood burning stove, which should you light first?

You can only answer once per riddle =)
Please explain your answer =)

If this isn't good as a contest, feel free to lock.
foumpie
none,
lamp --> no electricity
a kerosene heater --> no kerosine
a wood burning stove --> no wood
slovenman
Helios wrote:
Let's begin with a damn easy one for just 1 frih$:

You're in a cold room in the heart of Siberia and you have only one match left. The room contains a lamp, a kerosene heater, and a wood burning stove, which should you light first?

You can only answer once per riddle =)
Please explain your answer =)

If this isn't good as a contest, feel free to lock.

Match, in order to light anything else with it.
DarthSilus
assuming that lighting the match isn't the answer, the lamp.
__
Explanation: lighting the (assuming oil) lamp has the highest chance of success, after the lamp, you can than light other things on fire to start the kerosine heater or the wood stove. Start small--go big. Hopefully.
maia
it's the match that will be lighted first

and hey, foumpie is right. those 3 items are practically useless without their respective fuels
MadMan
the wood burning stove, assuming that you're in a wooden room.

the others things are useless.
Billwaa
Lamp first
Because the lamp should be the easiest to light if it is running by oil. Than with that fire, I can light the wood burning strove, which is easier to light with than the heater.

If I try to light the heater first, than the chance is the match's fire will probaby got brown off before I can light it.
raver
well you say you have a match but you don`t specify if you have on what to light it.....you could have just one match and no match box Wink
Garg
I would light the central heating Smile
mathiaus
raver wrote:
well you say you have a match but you don`t specify if you have on what to light it.....you could have just one match and no match box Wink

anything rough will work

this isnt really a contest but it isnt anything else either so I wont move it

Assuming you dont mean the match, there is fuel for everything and their is a rough surface i would light the wood burning stove. nothing else cos a lamp if for light and you dont say dark rrom just cold. the kerosene heater would run out of fuel but the wood you can go collect so that the best bet. when no wood left or trees to cut down id take a piece of burning wood out and light the kerocene heater. lamp still useless
Garg
Is this a scene from "the day after" (movie where a new ice-age comes !!??)
mscienceteach
This is a fun discussion, but I think that the answer is truly simple. Light the match before you can do anything else.[/b]
raver
mathiaus wrote:

Assuming you dont mean the match, there is fuel for everything and their is a rough surface i would light the wood burning stove. nothing else cos a lamp if for light and you dont say dark rrom just cold. the kerosene heater would run out of fuel but the wood you can go collect so that the best bet. when no wood left or trees to cut down id take a piece of burning wood out and light the kerocene heater. lamp still useless

Well if it`s cold in the room i imagine it`s pretty cold outside also, and maybe wet and damp..so the wood may be wet and cannot light it so easily with just a match...
also an alternative - you could pour some kerosene on the woods and light that to make the fire faster...
i know i know, i`m ranting now ain`t i? Very Happy
ainieas
Well it ain't said that there was no electricity, or no light bulb in that room, I'd say that I'll turn on the light bulb so that I can see where all the other items (lamp etc) are.

But the actual answer to the riddle is of course the match.
jamesmackle
This isn't some debate abut weather the room is damp or which would burn best initially! It's supposed to be a simple lateral logic puzzle surely!?

the match.
DaEnd
hehe lol so many people said the lamp i AGREE with that!
bruiser
i'd say the match
Qwertyip
it's the match lol .. cause how u soposed to light everything else if u dont light the match first? ...

and hope its a non-saftey match lol, else u'll never get it lit without the match box :p
WeirdOne
i would also think it is the match.
Garg
Can we actually get an answer, with an explanation ?
carl005
i'm guessing it's supposed to be the match, but i were thinking normally I would say lamp, because that'd probably burn the longest and be the easiest to start.
carl005
i have another riddle, but I don't feel like donating fri$$ I just think it's cool.

I have two coins that add up to 30 cents. One of them isn't a quarter, what coins are they?
Sephz0r
A quarter + 5 cents (can't remember name, I'm from the UK)?

You said one of the coins wasn't a quarter, so the other could be.

Oh yeah, the main riddle. You can't light anything without first striking (lighting) the match.

I'd assume it was an oil lamp, and there was kerosine in the heater already, and wood in the stove already.

You better hope it isn't windy Neutral
Sephz0r
I've got a riddle for you.

You have two hourglasses: a 7 minute one and an 11 minute one. Using just these hourglasses, accurately time 15 minutes.
ainieas
Start both, when 7 mins HRG runs out turn it over. When the 11 min HRG finishes there will be 3mins left in the 7min HRG. Turn the 7min HRG over. It will have 4mins+11mins in the other HRG = 15 mins.

Whew!!! I don't quite remember if this is the solution.

BTW, HRG=Hourglass
NuniPio
ive got a riddle..

you are in a sealed room, filled with 100% methane gas and you strike a match...what happens??
ainieas
Nothing!! Laughing

You can't burn the match in a oxygenless environment!!
Ljsk
Heres one:

How far can you walk into the woods?
April_May
Er.. Half way to the heart and further on you'll be walking out. Is tht it?
Ljsk
Yep, thats it.
djared90
carl005 wrote:
i have another riddle, but I don't feel like donating fri$$ I just think it's cool.

I have two coins that add up to 30 cents. One of them isn't a quarter, what coins are they?

ONE of the coins isn't a quarter, but that doesn't mean that the other one can't be!

You have a quarter and a nickel.
madsencarl
carl005 wrote:

I'm Australian, so I could just use a 20c piece and a 10c piece. Yeh, go Australia!
Blaster
A man just got a new job. Well he was tired and was ready for bed. He did his normal routine of brushing his teeth, locking the door, and turning off the light. The next morning the guy was fired. How come?
April_May
Was he an overnight security guard? Ha love the 10c 20c peice reply. Go aussie Very Happy
April_May
Or did he work at a 24/7 or a service station?
Blaster
Thats not it.
guissmo
Blaster wrote:
A man just got a new job. Well he was tired and was ready for bed. He did his normal routine of brushing his teeth, locking the door, and turning off the light. The next morning the guy was fired. How come?

He was actually doing his routine at the office where he worked.
Blaster
I will give you a clue. Think light and night.
grnsmilie
Aw, man... I know the answer to your riddle, Blaster... but I don't want to give it away... it's such a classic, too.

Reminds me of the guy who lay dead in a room with 53 bicycles...
NuniPio
is it coz he turned off the light??
heady233
Did he get the job early in the morning, Got tired, and didn't go to work, then woke up at night and drove fast to work, but didn't get ther untill the next morning, So his boss fired him for being late on his first day.
Carupieara
Blaster wrote:

The guy worked at a lighthouse. It was that light that he had turned off! How I heard it - a guy killed himself when a an accident occured at night afer he had turned off the light to go to bed.

Am I right???