FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Number the Stars, and other books like that...

blackomen12
In history we were going over WWII, and what happened in the Holocaust, and I remembered I had read Number the Stars, which takes place in Denmark I believe. I have also read The Diary of Anne Frank. I know I have read another, but I can not remember what it is. Does anyone know of other books that are about the same sort of thing? I think they are very interesting.
benwhite
There are countless non-fiction narratives of the Holocaust, just search on Amazon. But I'll suggest two seminal works: One incredibly popular book is Night, by Elie Wiesel. Another huge one is Mila 18 by Leon Uris. Try those two out if you're interested.
TurtleShell
So, I was just perusing the old posts and I see this one is like...two years old. But hey, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents out there. I've read several fictional books that center around wwII, children's books and adults as well...I've read Number the Stars and Diary of Anne Frank. A couple other good novels are Milkweed, by Jerry Spinelli, and Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, which takes place mostly in America during WWII, but offers an interesting perspective.
evanc88
TurtleShell wrote:
So, I was just perusing the old posts and I see this one is like...two years old. But hey, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents out there. I've read several fictional books that center around wwII, children's books and adults as well...I've read Number the Stars and Diary of Anne Frank. A couple other good novels are Milkweed, by Jerry Spinelli, and Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, which takes place mostly in America during WWII, but offers an interesting perspective.

Though I haven't read the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, I do enjoy most of Michael Chabon's work, with the exception of his recent genre-fiction ventures. Wonder Boys was really good.
TurtleShell
I loved Wonder Boys! I also really enjoyed the Mysteries of Pittsburg, although I think I was particularly disappointed by the ending of that one. Don't remember why anymore--it's been at least 4 years since I read it.

I agree with you on his recent work. My boss has loaned me the Final Solution, and I'm having a hard time with it. I feel like I should enjoy it--it's Chabon, for one thing, and Sherlock Holmes for another...how could I not... but, no go. It's sitting on my bed.

I also noticed that Chabon has a piece running in the New York Times magazine, but I missed the first chapter, so haven't been following it, but what little I have seen of it by skimming hasn't enticed me.
raine dragon
I Am Fifteen and I Don't Want to Die by Christine Arnothy

I got this book as a gift when I was younger, and it's a very real, very shocking story of a girl who is 15 years old during World War II. I do not remember which country she is in, but her city is occupied and being bombed. She hides in a basement with some other people and they try to get by. It's not as 'pretty' of a book as number the stars. There is a lot of hunger, death and desperation, and you kind of sit there for a bit afterwards just digesting the whole thing. I would not recommend it to anyone much younger then 15, by the way; it's not quite 'G' rated.