FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bonsai Kitten - Disturbing or Hilarious?

Freezon
Quote:
For centuries, people in the West have marveled at the delicate beauty produced by Oriental artists and sculptors. From gardening to tattooing to dance and martial arts, these craftsmen have enthralled us with complex forms and simplistic perfection. One of the most fascinating of the visual techniques to emerge from this highly cultured region is the Oriental art of miniature sculpture. Who has not been stricken with the expressive grace of Japanese Bonsai? Though once the sole province of Bonsai masters within Japan, Bonsai plants have been available to fortunate consumers throughout the world for some time. With this in mind, we are proud to now offer to you the animal complement of this art form; the Bonsai Kitten.

Source: http://www.bonsaikitten.com/

A couple years back, I had stumbled upon Bonsai Kitten. I am sure you all (or most) have heard of this site. The "art" of shaping young kittens in small glass jars of different shapes and sizes.

I myself, back in 2001, believed that the site was actually real and it disturbed me. However, most now know that the site is, infact, a hoax. Who better to host it then rotten.com.

Quote:
The publisher of Rotten.Com has agreed to host the site, as described on his Gaping Maw newsletter. This ought to be an educational experience for Bonsai Kitten protesters, who scour each host site to find ways to pressure the company into removing the site. Rotten.Com contains things that make the satirical encapsulation of kittens look like a Sunday picnic.

Source: http://www.cruel.com/sub/bonsai.shtml

At the above site (cruel.com), you can find EVERYTHING you ever wanted to to know about the Bonsai Kitten.

I used to find it disturbing, but now that I know it is just a hoax, I don't care about it. Although the images of the "mutated" kittens are still rather disturbing. Check it out for yourself.

NOTE: This post was NOT meant to disturb anyone OR suggest the idea of actually creating a bonsai kitten. I just want your thought on the matter.
Hobbad
. . .

I probably would have said it was hilarious when I was younger before my fourteen year old cat died because, my mom had let him outside, not realizing my dad had just sprayed weedkiller on the grass

. . .

Even for a hoax it's still pretty sick

. . .

*sigh now I'm depressed*
coolclay
I think its awesome, it's to bad it isn't real though. I mean who doesn't want there own "shaped" cat. They do it to trees, why not cats too?

Ok before you all get your panties in a jumble I was just kidding.
Hobbad
Well...I didn't even read the description, and I just didn't like the pictures of the cats shoved in glass containers, it just made me sick to my stomach, for some reason.
Freezon
Quote:
Well...I didn't even read the description, and I just didn't like the pictures of the cats shoved in glass containers, it just made me sick to my stomach, for some reason.

Definitely understandable, those pictures are quite disturbing. They are fake, but look real (I think). The webmaster of the site either has a strange obsession with strange arts, or just wants to sicken peoples minds with these outragous photos and details.

You be the judge.
thegamecreator
even if it is a hoax thats not even funny thats messed up.
people who even think about doing this to animals should be shot. its not funny...
RaineMitshumi
I personally disagree with the idea of shaping animals using tubes and stuff. It is inhumane and people who think of doing that should be placed in the same situation as those animals.
~:(FREE THE KITTENS):~
wandererwillow
I will say that watching PETA throw a fit over this, only to find out it was a joke, was quite hilarious. Then again, these were the same people that tried suing a baseball player for animal murder when he pitched a ball and hit a bird, making it literally explode...sad...
thiamshui
That is gross.. Humans do not have the right to ill-threat animals like that.. Although we are masters of the Earth, we have to learn to make use of our advanced technology to care for our fellow beings on Earth..
lykaios
RaineMitshumi wrote:
I personally disagree with the idea of shaping animals using tubes and stuff. It is inhumane and people who think of doing that should be placed in the same situation as those animals.

thaimshui wrote:
That is gross.. Humans do not have the right to ill-threat animals like that.. Although we are masters of the Earth, we have to learn to make use of our advanced technology to care for our fellow beings on Earth..

It seems someone forgot to read the rest of the post!

My best friend sent me an email about this, saying i should sign a petition to stop the inhumane bonsai kitty deal.. I spent 5 minutes looking at the site before i replied to her "If you believe this crock, you're an idiot."

Nobody ever said you had to be nice to your best friend.

Though.. i do find it mildly disturbing, being the cat person i am... *glances at his kitty, then back at the bonsai kitty site* I wonder what she would look like in a cube shape...

KITTYCUBE!

You may hang me later.
whplace
Thos is soooooooo evil!!!
sibbahz
I used to think this was real, if it was it would be just plain evil.
But im guessing it was a stunt to get loads of animal lovers to complain to them
nimbuscogitare
for me it is both disturbing and hilarious. were it set to the scene of a cartoon it would be seen as funny by many more. presentation and perseption are key in these situtations. the part that I find disturbing has nothing to do with the cats. it is the lack of aparent responcibility taken by the creator to make sure that more impressionable minds do not have ready access to it. A child, with thier lessthan complete understanding of the world, (not that anyone realy completely understands)might actualy see this as a good Idea. in such a case they could begin to see the actual action as 'normal'. Empathy with the the outside world, people and animals included, is important for society to function as a growing thriving being. In my opinion ideas like this must be shared with those who will see them in the light the were intended. dark humor is importaint to me, it helps me to deal with myself and my world. One of the ways that they treat post tramatic people is to desensitise them to the things that are the source of thier trama through pictures through converstation, it alows them to get past the emotional reaction that is envoked and move on with thier lives. if they were more emotionaly prepaired they would likely have suffered far less, being able to think beyond the emotions. They may have found a way to avoid the worst of the situation all together or be better equipt to help others who have been through the same sort of experience. anyway there are some of my thoughts.
Take it all in before you take it all down.
erlendhg
I did actually beleive it first time I saw it, but I found out it was a hoax made to check out rasism against people from Japan, or something like that...
Marilyn19
I really hate people who do this to cats.
I myself have 8 cats and i get crazy if i think at what other people do to there cats i think it's just terrible Evil or Very Mad
a.Bird
This cracks me up way too much. Not just the site, but the responses to it. People are so encapsulated in their own immediate fear of the images they see that they jump to conclusions and exert emotion that wasn't initially intended. I think it goes to show how quickly our minds work, in other words, we look, judge, and act so quickly that we often miss the true intentions of what we see. I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say cause I'm quite hungover, but if that made any sense to you, Righteous. If not, you should write a 40 page paper to the webmaster of this site, telling them why you are so upset and didn't see the humor in any of it.
carlokes
Even if it is a joke (which i think it is) is too cruel to "play" with live that way...every being in this world must be respected!
psycosquirrel
It is obviously a hoax, if you read the link.

The creators of the site photoshopped all the images, and made the site simply to piss off PETA freaks and people who obsess over cats (like my aunt). I myself have two cats, and I still get a good laugh out of this site every time someone posts it again. People take stuff too seriously Confused
a_dubDesign
wandererwillow wrote:
Then again, these were the same people that tried suing a baseball player for animal murder when he pitched a ball and hit a bird, making it literally explode...sad...

Thats an amazing video, I love watching that one.

That makes me think of the Ford Sport Ka commercial where the cat gets his head choped off in the cars sunroof. Oh man, I gotta go watch that now Smile
lycadia
What's disturbing is how consistantly it works as a hoax, thus proving that the average person would rather judge than think or read. No offense to anyone here -it is an easy mistake to make if one isn't reading the text, I suppose- but this never falls, no matter how many times the person bringing it up repeats and reassures that it's a hoax, even provides statement that is a hoax and the reason for it's being created, to get as many people who start leaping to most dire conclusion and denouncing people for things that never happened. I think You could put a big 36 point flashing flaming red border around the whole post including any pictures and the page you linked to reading HOAX HOAX HOAX and with a verbal "April Fools!" announcement soundfile or something and someone would immediately berate you for kitten-abuse.
*sighs* Really makes me wonder if there's any hope, sometimes.
I'm a die hard catperson and for the 2 minutes it took me to realize it was fake, I was mildly alarmed. If someone had said, "Hey look at this hoax site..." I'd have been immediately amused. As it was it took me a second to reassure myself this wasn't in any way real. I've seen cats wedge themselves into all manner of box, bowl, pot, vase, whatever, jsut out of curiousity. Had cats rub thier faces back and forth against windows or prefer sleeping on my scanner, Especially if I'm trying to scan things, which also gets halarious but alarmingly unnaturally looking images and one who's had to be repeatedly extracated from vases he stuck his head in all on his own.
Clearly, if someone were torturing cats in that fashion, it'd be the kind of thing that makes me wonder why we don't employ a cat'o'nine tails in animal cruelty cases, all piratey and stuff.
As it is, I just wonder if half the reason I don't bother talking to most people is because they won't listen anyhow, being far too busy getting to tell me what they think about what they didn't pay attention to me saying in the first place.
Excuse the ranty tangent, it really Is Not a flame at anyone here. I jsut has a very similar situation crop up in my real life and it was a pointless but unpleasant scene because of a pointless and totally avoidable lack of listening. I think the real thought provoker here isn't "is it really harming any cats, and even if it's not, should we be disturbed someone thought it was funny?" but "isn't it shocking how quick we are to render a response without even considering if we might be misinterpeting the situation that presents itself?" But then taking a psychology class on prejudice and discrimination makes one start overthinking these things, I fear.
Steb2424
One of my friends, an animal-rights activist, sent me a link to this ages ago.
At first, I was shocked, but slowly realised that it was a fake lol. The pictures are pretty good and a lot of thought was put into the creation of the site. All the people who tried to order pre-bonsai'd kittens from the site should be encapsulated themselves though. Anyway, it's fake Smile.
lmmfao @
Quote:
Rotten.Com contains things that make the satirical encapsulation of kittens look like a Sunday picnic.
Probably why it's so popular Laughing
Scaramanga
psycosquirrel wrote:
It is obviously a hoax, if you read the link.

The creators of the site photoshopped all the images, and made the site simply to piss off PETA freaks and people who obsess over cats (like my aunt). I myself have two cats, and I still get a good laugh out of this site every time someone posts it again. People take stuff too seriously Confused

Uhhh, I don't think this has been mentioned, but NONE of the photos were 'shopped. Everything you see resulted from the kittens just sleeping/sitting in the glass jars, cubes. Cats are VERY flexible, and often manage to wedge themselves into lots of tight spots. In fact quite a few domesticated cat species love to sleep in enclosed spaces. And anyone who thinks it's cruel either doesn't own a cat or knows nothing about them.

That being said, yes, the website WAS hilarious. Not quite Manbeef hilarious, but definitely up there in internet hoax-memes.
gonzo
only the especially dim see bonsaikitten as anything other than hyperbole
hades9366
It is amusing once you get past the initial gut reaction of disgust and start actually thinking about the intended meaning and the work that went into creating this as a way of exposing the viewers prejudicial reactions and inability to take a joke.
PureSimpleNatural
When I first saw this site, I was pretty disgusted. But after learning that it's not real at all, I began seeing it differently.

As disturbing the context is, I find the images very well done. But, a little sad that the creator of the site didn't have a much better use for his talents Rolling Eyes
lycadia
PureSimpleNatural wrote:
When I first saw this site, I was pretty disgusted. But after learning that it's not real at all, I began seeing it differently.

As disturbing the context is, I find the images very well done. But, a little sad that the creator of the site didn't have a much better use for his talents Rolling Eyes

For a talent for sarcasm and prankery and a finely honed sense of the shocking then to make people wake up and pay attention to how little rational thought they expend before judging and acting?

Honestly, if it weren't for the occasional hoax that fools me for a few minutes, I'd spend a lot less time examining my own assumptions and deductive reasoning or my gut level prejudices.

Of course, it's pointless to say that when many subjects prefer to just write off the creator as sick or wasting his time, rather than examine themselves and thier reactions.
But that's just my opinion.
Blaster
[url] http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blbonsai.htm [/url]

I hate the idea. But it isn't true. Don't belive me? Check out the site above. Don't read the part in the box but the comments.

Quote:
Comments: First things first: The Bonsai Kitten site is a hoax a sick joke. No one is really doing those awful things to kittens (see "Bonsai Kitten" for the history of this prank).

Bonsai kitten link
Quote:
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa021401a.htm
CMA
Yeah, the first time I saw that website some years back I was like "OMGWTF SHOOT THE GUY BEHIND THIS!!", but I decided to take a good, second look, just to make sure. And then I realized what a joker the guy is and how dumb I was to believe it even for a second. Laughing

For everyone still having doubts, do you actually see any of the supposedly "shaped kitties" on the pictures? No. All you see are cats with their heads against a glass. And if you look closely at the last one which actually pictures an adult cat inside a glass box (the picture set with the baby) you can see how the cat has plenty of room to move around inside the box, WHICH ISNT EVEN CLOSED, THUS THE CAT COULD GET OUT ANYTIME. Also, if you try reading most of the text on any part of the page you can realize (if you have half a brain) that the guy is obviously joking. The guestbook, then... most of those "letters" (all of them fake, obviously) are hillarious!

So there's no need to panic, people. This is just one of the greatests hoaxes in the internet history. Wink
Richous05
hehe about 2 years ago there was a petition going round to stop the site there was over 1000 signatures so i signed it an passed it on then like a few months later there was new that it wasnt real i just laughed. But i wouldnt mind one though id make one myself using one of my 3 cats . Laughing
adwya
RaineMitshumi wrote:

i think so
LandShark
I think thats pretty funny. . .
mstreet
You know I've always had mixed feelings about this stuff. It's guilty entertainment but then again I actually took the time to go to the site and show a bunch of friends that I could not believe that there was such a site. Ahhh the internet
firebrandglass
Really it's all your point of view. To us, a kitten is a harmless innocent creature not deserving of such treatment.

Now imagine for a moment (really streatch you mind here) that you are a cute little harmless mousey who's whole family was just slaughtered by the vicious claws of this feline predator. I doubt you would feel much sympathy for the bonsai kitty.

It's all perspective.
jaycoo
I think its brilliant. If only it were put into practice then some of our native species may even graduate from the near extinction list.
Tumbleweed
lycadia wrote:
I think You could put a big 36 point flashing flaming red border around the whole post including any pictures and the page you linked to reading HOAX HOAX HOAX

lmao............. I was begining to wonder myself if ppl realised this was a hoax as stated in the first post........or if they just didnt care either way or anyway
I like cats myself ....... oh how they pull the wool over are eyes Wink

!! No cats were harmed in the typing of this post !!
Lennon
Yes, after finding out this was a hoax it has a great sense of humour
Tasa
This is great and as someone has pointed out is fake. http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/bonsai.asp

It is on the same level as http://savetoby.com/ just someone making a joke and using the internet to spread it to the world. Oh before anyone asks toby is ok http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/savetoby.asp
paul_indo
I don't really see how anyone could believe this site is real. Particularly with the hilarious and obviously tongue in cheek comments, such as this, which are all over the site.

Quote:
They are extremely soft and springy. In fact, if you take a week-old kitten and throw it to the floor, it will actually bounce! We do not recommend that you try this at home. The kitten may bounce under the furniture and be difficult to retrieve, as well as covered in unsightly household dust.

I'm sure the cats in the photos were not in the least bit upset.

Although I don't have any cats at the moment, I remember when I was a kid, it was hardest to keep my kittens out of small spaces. They were always squeezing behind wardrobes and into draws and cupboards.

I remember once we took them to the beach and dug all these little tunnels in the sand. Once they got in there they played for ages and we had a real hard time getting them to come out.

Relax cat lovers, the sites only a joke, and a good one in my opinion.
please.be.quiet
it's not real
atomictoyz
There are some obvious problems technically but aside from that, if you leave an open container of any size lying about, Cat/Kittens will get inside all by themselves. I recently watched some AFV videos of a young cat climbing into a small fishbowl, a much tighter fit that the pics from BK.