FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any other violinists or musicians?

vlnjodie
I'm going to grad school to be a violinist. Just wondering if anyone else out there plays professionally. Violin or a different instrument.
MetallianRose
I envy you Razz

I love the violin, but I don't play, unfortunately. I would REALLY like to, though.
vlnjodie
It's never too late. If you really want to you have to be able to set the time aside for it, but I've had very successful adult students.
Vlien
I play the piano, wanted to study it too, but I started it way too late (I was 15, and don't you say that wasn't too late Wink ). I still find it a pity really... sometimes I do try to write a piece of music, but usually I don't get further than the main melody... Cool
MetallianRose
Well, I would need a violin to play...
Most of them that I see are $1000 or more and I jsut don't have enough money for that....
I would definately set time aside to play, though. I'd probably devote all of my free time to playing Very Happy. I'm really mesmerized by the sounds...

I like the piano, too. My brother plays keyboard (which has piano sounds on it, of course) and I get tabs and learn some songs, sometimes.
My brother started playing at 15 and right now hes 16 and hes already amazing
So...15 isnt too late. Very Happy
vlnjodie
You can actually get a decent student instrument for about $500. It's a good starter instrument. Usually there are local places that also rent instruments. That way you can try it out and see where your at. The biggest key to success on an any instrument is to practice consistently.

If you don't have a local shop, or would like some more recommendations on violin shops to look at, I know several that I trust. Maybe a Christmas present for yourself? Let me know.

It's never too late to start learning something new.
erotic_city
hi there,

I'm jelous, I don't have the guts to dedicate my professional life to playing music. (I'm pretending to be a corporate man right now, faking my way through business).

I play guitar and program synths etc, but my true joy is playing piano. I teach myself. One day I'll be pretty good. I long to find the freedom to play shows.
JaeCee
I'm a proficient guitarist, but been itching like hell to start playing the violin lately. Still wondering if I should get a nice starter violin or grab a beefed up one with a pickup.
vlnjodie
I can't play the piano very well at all. I had to take 2 years of piano class, and I can still only play a little.

If you are new to the violin, a starter is probably better, or if you get an electric get one with a normal body that can produce sound with or without the amp. That way you can practice whereever you want.
MetallianRose
vlnjodie wrote:
You can actually get a decent student instrument for about $500. It's a good starter instrument. Usually there are local places that also rent instruments. That way you can try it out and see where your at. The biggest key to success on an any instrument is to practice consistently.

If you don't have a local shop, or would like some more recommendations on violin shops to look at, I know several that I trust. Maybe a Christmas present for yourself? Let me know.

It's never too late to start learning something new.

I only have one local shop, but I dont think they sell Violins.
If you don't mind, I would like to know of some shops....

thanks Wink
vlnjodie
Robertson and Sons violin shop is one of the best. They are really high quality repair shop and also a huge rental/student instrument shop. The thing I like about them the best is that they give you full value of your instrument when you trade it in for a better one. If any shop says that they only give partial value because it's used - that is b.s. Violins only go down in value if they are damaged.

It's best to just call them - their number is 1-800-AVIOLIN -- this is where I've gotten all of my violins

The other two places that may be of interest are Shar and Southwest Strings. They don't have as good of quality instruments, but are decent and are sometimes a little cheaper. I don't know what their trade in policy is, but that is something to look into.

You can google any of these. Robertson's web page isn't as good, but the other two have their products online. I don't think the other two do repairs, but Robertson's does. Good Luck and let me know what ends up happening, or if you want any other advice.
rockinxxl
As an aspiring musician, let me present to you the problem with becoming a professional musician nowadays.

The problem is:
It is much harder to make it professionally now than ever before. In the past, if you had talent, you were likely to get a record contract. If not, you could send a demo to a record company, and if they were interested, they would fund for an album.

Nowadays, it is up to the artist to make it out for themselves, to actively recruit a fan base, to produce their own album, and all the while making money.
MetallianRose
vlnjodie, Thanks very much! I will definately check Robertson out and see if I can get my hands on a violin.
I'll let you know how everything goes.
thanks Smile
vlnjodie
Rockinxxl - I think it depends on your definition of professional musician. You don't have to have a record contract to be a professional.

It is very hard to make a living off of gigs, whether it be a playing in local venues, weddings, or the local symphony. Freelancing is very difficult and can make for a very irregular schedule.

Most professional classical musicians end up doing a mix of teaching and playing in groups such as the local symphony, or a chamber ensemble of some kind.

I think it is good for people to have music in their lives, in some form (professional or hobby) and stongly believe it is never too late to start.

MetallianRose - I can't wait to hear what you end up with. Please PM me or post it here. Very Happy
krumilur
I play the trumpet. Not professionally yet, but I hope to one day.
mocamoca
Well i can play the piano, flute, and drums, and am learning how to play the guitar, but i cannot play any of them professionally
Mithrandir
Glad to see a fellow violinst here. I've played for the last seven years but I'm not sure if I'll continue it into my college years. I really enjoy playing and I take private lessons and am a memeber of two orchestras and a quartet but I really want to focus on other things and keep violin as a hobby, not a profession.
harmonica
Accordion, a bit keyboard and harmonica and E major on guitar...Wink
zjosie729
I don't play professionally but I do play the violin. I've been playing for two years.
vlnjodie
Accordian huh? What kind of accordian music?

I think it's really great when someone has played or participated in music because it gives them a respect for what it takes to do it well. Those that play musical instruments, what type of music do you play? Folk, rock, classical? What are you working on?
harmonica
I play what I like, but most it is folk and (I don't know how to translate it) something like "campfire songs". And I'm not professional musician. I found my accordion in old wardrobe in the attic and I started to play. First steps was terrible because I didn't know how to cope with all that buttons, but now I think I'm quite good player...