FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem burning large .wav onto CD-R

steveadams617
I have a large 650 meg .wav file that I'm trying to burn onto a CD using Nero. I'm running windows 2000 on a pentium 4 with 500+ megs of RAM and plenty of hard disk space. It chokes relatively soon after starting the task.

Am I trying to do something unrealistic? Should I be breaking it up somehow?

Thanks
Steve
steveadams617
I guess I should say that I'm trying to burn an audio CD that would be playable in a regular cd player. Thanks.
gh0stface
Newer CD-Rs allow up to 700MB. However if you only have 650MB CD's around, there is an option in Nero to overburn if the file is larger by 1 or 2 megs.

Just look around under preference.
Aiz
It might not be the burner but your computer. Did you have other applications running as well? in the background? because with 500mb ram, o.o I don't think it can handle the burning process as well as other things at the same time o.o.

by the way, what's your cpu speed (just for references)?
gh0stface
I also forgot to state that, when burning files, it's better to burn at a lower speed. Especially copying CD's. When you burn at a lower speed, you'll get a better 1 to 1 copy. The higher the speed you burn at, it tends to store in a buffer before it writes to the CD.
keskinsoy
If you are using nero, you should change settings. In settings change cd's free space. And use disk at once option.
David_Pardy
Burn at the slowest speed possible, and make sure you aren't running any other programs. Just get it started and go watch some TV or something - make sure you turn your screensaver off as well. It should fit on the CD with no problems because Nero would warn you that the CD is too small if it was, so don't worry about overburning.
sprk3
I feel nero needs more memory/free resources.That is why it is hanging.I feel it is software problem.
sotris99
gh0stface wrote:
Newer CD-Rs allow up to 700MB. However if you only have 650MB CD's around, there is an option in Nero to overburn if the file is larger by 1 or 2 megs.

Just look around under preference.

For audio mode you can write more

for an 80 minute cd you have

80min * 60sec/min * 75 frames/sec * 2352 byte/frame = 846,720,000 bytes
steveadams617
Thanks to all. I recorded it at a slow speed with everything I could find to turn off turned off and it worked fine. Thanks.
gh0stface
Since you have resolved this problem I am going to lock this thread. If you need to reopen this thread, just PM me or any other moderators for this board and we'll be gladly to reopen it.

-Locked-