FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Live Mail Beta - My opinions

vinodmishra
Today I got invited to Windows Live Mail Beta..
Below is a preview image.

I found many positives as well as negatives.
Positives:
1) Compared to Hotmail, it is miles ahead. A clean, fast interface resembling Outlook including autopreview of messages.(Though it lacks many features but as its in beta that can be ignored)
2) When I click on any of my mail, I have a contextual menu. I loved this feature ( Hope Gmail incorporates it too)
3) 2 GB of space compared to meagre 2 MB of hotmail (*250 MB is only for US)

Negatives:
1) As with all MS Sites, it works properly only on IE 6.0. On firefox it behaves like any normal webmail interface.
2) Ads: A huge ad on right side ( you can spot it in the snapshot) which lessens up viewing space. A promotional footer gets attached to my outgoing mails.
3) Except the contextual menu, GMail is still one up in every field. AJAX is faster and yeah a bit faster than GMail but still doesn’t make a noticeable difference.
4) Few of my mails were shown in HTML Coding( A bug i guess )

Still I would say, its definitely worth a try Smile
n0obie4life
Moved from General Chat to Computer software and hardware forum.

WLM Mail Beta? Sounds nice Smile

I signed up for the WLM Messenger Beta. Haven't received the invite yet doh Razz
Arin
vinodmishra wrote:
2) When I click on any of my mail, I have a contextual menu. I loved this feature ( Hope Gmail incorporates it too)

what options were there? and is that menu available only when browsing site with IE? if yes, this would mean that it's based on specific IE's mechanisms :/

vinodmishra wrote:
1) As with all MS Sites, it works properly only on IE 6.0. On firefox it behaves like any normal webmail interface.

Sad that MS is so stubborn with that :(.

vinodmishra wrote:
2) Ads: A huge ad on right side ( you can spot it in the snapshot) which lessens up viewing space. A promotional footer gets attached to my outgoing mails.

imho targeted plain text ads are far more better. and Gmail sends clean mail, without ads :).

And one question - when signing up - what domains are available for email address?

cheers,
Arin.
Freezon
Quote:
And one question - when signing up - what domains are available for email address?

From his screenshot, it shows he is using the hotmail domain. There may be others however, but I am not sure since I have no invite.

All in all, this new mail sounds decent. However, I cannot stand ads in my outgoing mail, it really angers me. However, based on your screenshot, the ads seemed to be advertising windows mail. Does it display targeted advertisements or only microsoft? Well this new mail service seems decent, but I am still going with Gmail until I can experience this myself.

EDIT: Also for anyone interested, you may sign up for the service for free. You must have a hotmail address and be approved. The website: Click Here To Sign Up
Rhysige
I call it a cheap Rip off of Gmail with less quality and Ads!

So stick with Gmail...
dxhunter
How to invite other people ? same of Gmail ??? and working account msn 8.0 ??
Aiz
I don't know why bother with the live photo sharing and the such. You can do that over any instant messager with less trouble @_@.

And the footer ads, I find them very annoying =\ So yeah.

Why don't they edit the hotmail services to make them bigger boxes since so many people have them and use them (although I am not one of them) instead of trying to get some primped up version that doesn't have much in terms of really useful functions >.>

Don't know, maybe it's just me but I still prefer gmail @_@v
n0obie4life
dxhunter wrote:
How to invite other people ? same of Gmail ??? and working account msn 8.0 ??

http://www3.imagine-msn.com/minisites/mail/Default.aspx?locale=en-us

Signup through that, then they'll pick you (if they want to)
vinodmishra
Quote:

what options were there? and is that menu available only when browsing site with IE? if yes, this would mean that it's based on specific IE's mechanisms :/

Yes, its only available with IE6.0. You can see that context menu in the snapshot.

Quote:

As far as I know Windows Live Mail is just a new interface i.e. your existing hotmail or msn account is migrated to Windows Live Mail Interface.

Quote:

Why don't they edit the hotmail services to make them bigger boxes since so many people have them and use them (although I am not one of them) instead of trying to get some primped up version that doesn't have much in terms of really useful functions >.>

They are exactly doing that. My exisiting Hotmail account got migrated to Windows Live Mail Interface.
mars
How to get invition for Windows Live Mail Beta?
jovemac
To get an windows live invitation, you can visit http://www.live.com and sign up with your hotmail id. You will receive the invitation shortly.
driftingfe3s
Wow, I heard about this months ago but I didn't know it was out allready. I guess I'll give it a go as well.
alkutob
Thank you 4 the information ,, and I hope to be available in the middle east