FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Narnia

kain
How do you feel about this movie? Have you read the books? Did you know that C.S.Lewis didn't want his books to be made into a movie? Tell me how you feel on someof this stuff. I really like the books. I hope the movie is as good.
elcyron
actuallly i never even heard of the books before the movie.
I'm still wondering if i should see it though...
I like fantasy literature and movie, but there's something funny about this. can't put my finger on it yet
PedroAntonio
I feel doubtful about this movie...
On one hand there's a fantastic look in the trailer, and I think I will enjoy with the film...
But on the other hand I have read the argument and I think I won't enjoy it...

I haven't read the books, so I'd like to hear from you if it's a good or bad story...
bewald
C.S. Lewis is by far one of my favorite authors-- he didn't only write children's books, he also wrote a few novels, novellas and some actually wonderfully interesting works on christianity.

What some people also don't know is that Tolkein (lord of the rings author) and Lewis were actually good friends. Tolkein criticized Lewis that his Chronicles of Narnia were too fanciful, not serious or consistent enough and Lewis criticized Tolkein that his LOR were too serious and that the section on Hobbits was boring Wink

Narnia also has very loosely veiled references, doctrines and messages of Christ and Chrisitianity.

I did not know that Lewis did not want his Chronicles made into film, but I can understand why. I have not seen it, but I am worried that the wonderful and rich but completely fanciful world of Narnia will not translate to film....
earthchild
bewald wrote:
C.S. Lewis is by far one of my favorite authors-- he didn't only write children's books, he also wrote a few novels, novellas and some actually wonderfully interesting works on christianity.

What some people also don't know is that Tolkein (lord of the rings author) and Lewis were actually good friends. Tolkein criticized Lewis that his Chronicles of Narnia were too fanciful, not serious or consistent enough and Lewis criticized Tolkein that his LOR were too serious and that the section on Hobbits was boring Wink

Hey and they are two of my favorite fantasy/adventure series. How cool is that? Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing Narnia. maybe this weekend!
asmiller08
I was skeptical at first, but after seeing some previews and reading some reviews, I'm looking forward to it. Looks like it should be a good movie, and hopefully they won't mess up such a good series of books.
DarkAngel
I've heard that the movie's pretty good, but I'm still in doubt about seeing it. My 3rd grade(or was it 4th? I forgot) teacher read them to our class, and I liked them then, so I'll probably see it.
cafein
i haven't seen it yet (not yet in my conutry),will anyone pls explain the film i don' have any idea what you r talking about Embarassed
kenetix
cafein you can find info here:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808475642/details
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363771/
I saw the movie, was pretty interesting but I haven't read the book
engeland
I've seen the movie,

I have to say it was worth the money to watch it. However i wouldn't say it was a WOW movie. eg of WOW movie : King Kong

This one, is special in it's own way, specifically with its soundtracks. Sounds like Enya type. It's really good!!
However, the sequence of the movie is not really well filmed. Sure they did get the message to all the viewers, but certain things needed to be filmed a little longer. Idk how to explain in any other way...sorry Confused

i would rate this movie 7/10 Wink
driftingfe3s
I saw the moive a few days ago. It was pretty good. Its a bit slow at first and the actors are a bit annoying at times, but the CG is amazing. I would also give it around a 7 out of 10.
althalus
I haven't read the books, but some years ago, when I was I dunno, 8-10-12 something they had the Narnia serie running on tv here and I remember I liked it a lot. So I'm looking forward to this movie, although I've heard both good and bad reviews.. Smile
sprinqles
I hope they do justice to the book. I can't wait to watch it. I've read the three books. Smile
aloSegun2
I remember i had to read that book for school and i didn't like it that much... well maybe as a movie i find it better...buuu
godzilla
I read the books multiple times when I was younger, and saw the movie twice. Yes, it is better the second time you see it Cool. It follows the books very closely, and even goes beyond them in areas (not in a bad way, but in the best way possible!). I understand C.S. Lewis didn't want a movie made of it, possibly because he was afraid Aslan would end up being a guy in a lion suit. The movie is done really beautifully, and I think C.S. Lewis would definitely appreciate it.
prongs_386
i have read the books and feel that on no count will the movie live upto them. But to have the world of narnia exposed to a crowd who may not read or just have not read this series is a good thing. Im sure this film will be great, especially for those who havnt read the books or havnt in a long time.
Bamf
I read the series when I was a child and it had only six books! I'm re-reading the series now with my youngest daughter. I'm sure I missed the first book, "The Magicians Nephew" the first time round. My whole family loved the movie. It followed the book very closely. Reading on C.S. Lewis comments I think the earlier poster nailed why C.S. Lewis didn't want this movie to be made, thinking of his ASLAN as an actor in a poorly made lion outfit. I'm glad this movie made the money it did. I'm hoping it will be the drive Disney needs to continue making the series.
kain
I saw the movie and it exceeded all expectations! Many movies based on books are just lacking in content but this had everything the book had and more. They really expanded the battle scene. It was very good. 9.5/10!
nakamaru
It was an ok movie. Nothing special.
druidbloke
I remember the book being read to us at school during a big thunder storm, really stuck in my head and made an impression ever since, so yeah I reckon its an excellent source for a film, havent watched the movie yet but from what ive seen they've at least done it some justice, I dont think a film can ever go all the way and equal the impact of a book when you have the imagination to really get into it, but partial is good enough Cool
GTA
bullshit , it's for little kids
Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
krazyfire
Yeah it was quite crap but the story line was great
aerialdreams
I've actually never read the books before, but since several friends recommended it to me, I went to watch the movie.
While some say the story's for little kids, the movie was quite good. I mean, the sound, the set, the special effects, they were all flawless and great fun to watch... and all else aside, the storyline was great!!! Even though I'm way past the age of reading these books, I think I will read them afterall!! I really want to find out what happens later on!
hrtorrent
10-15 years ago there was a child TV serial "Chronicle of Narnia", based of a same story. It was without glamurous effects, but story about Narnia is fantastistic and I think this mouvie is so (I didn't see it yet).

Enyone remember that TV serial?
NuniPio
GTA wrote:
bullshit , it's for little kids
Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

lol ye i agree..if only it was a bit higher rated..then i would rate it 10/10
UMBlueMusic
I thought it was spectacular. The battle scene was oddly beautiful; it had the same scale that LOTR had, and you knew people were dying, but they filmed it in a way that made it so it could retain a rating so that children could see it.

I don't think this film needed a higher rating. The series was meant for children, but that doesn't mean the storyline doesn't have worth. This series was my favorite book series ever, and they captured it amazingly. I think it was the best version of a book to movie that I've seen in awhile, as far as keeping content in and the general feel of the story alive.
leftofcenter
I thought the movie was brilliant. That's probably, of course, because I'm obsessed with computer animation. Aslan looked so real!

As a moment of temporary bragging: I got to see the movie in the theater the day before it was released. (Special deal with my college Very Happy )

Anyways, yes, the movie was great and easy-to-follow for someone who has never read the books. (Namely me.) And I totally thought that Lucy and Mr. Tumnus had something going on. Did you SEE the way they looked at each other? Psh.
vlnjodie
I really liked the movie and felt that it complimented the books really well. The books leave a lot of room for imagination and I felt the movie did a good job of making it fanciful and out of the ordinary.

This was one of the only movies that I've seen where almost everything in the book was included. Of course the book is fairly straight forward and not very long, but everything was pretty much there. Very good!

Quote:
leftofcenter;
And I totally thought that Lucy and Mr. Tumnus had something going on. Did you SEE the way they looked at each other? Psh.

I noticed that too. A little bit of an age difference don't you think?
pookpooi
when i first saw trailer
i think that Narnia is 3D Anime (as Final Fantasy)
alkady
I read the book in high school a few years ago, It wasnt bad. I havent seen the movie yet, But I may see it or just rent it when it comes out.
Rachael
i have never read the books, but yesturday i went and saw The Chronicals of Narnia and it was EXCELLENT!!! i cant wait for it to come out on DVD! we missed the first few minutes but we saw Lucy hiding in the cupboard in a game of hide and seek, and just wanting to know what was on the other side was a great feeling.

i rate this movie 10/10
darkdante
actuallly i never even heard of the books before the movie.
I'm still wondering if i should see it though...
I like fantasy literature and movie, but there's something funny about this. can't put my finger on it yet
MalvagioAddict
Oh, it's a wonderul movie. I liked it quite a bit. Well, not that it would be what I would consider as one of the best movies of all time. But for entertainment it sure is worth the admission price.

This movie I was telling my friend really depended on the book for much of the plot, compared to Harry Potter and LOTR, this did not take too much literary liberties. but as my friend did say, why do you need to take some liberties on it, the book is just about a hundred pages or so.

He is probably right, but then again I like it because I was one of those people who read the novel by CS Lewis and found this movie a faithful adaptation on it.
Sappho
I kind of like it but lets be realistic here comparing to such a fantasy movie like Neverending Story which was filmed 16 years ago Naria is really shallow.
Neocondestruct
The only thing I didn't like about it was that id didn't capture the scale that the books had, a vast wonderous land. In lord of the rings there were many shots of rolling hills and great mountains, to try and give us some of this scale. The way narnia was shot just didn't feel right.

just my two cents
helk
TCoN is my favourite story by a religious author.

The movie was a let down for me... But then i expect as much attention to detail as people did for LOTR.

It's so good because i can remember almost the whole story from one single read like 2 years ago.

I love it because he was a famous mathematician too.

CS Lewis. Pure genius.
MalvagioAddict
Neocondestruct I can understand what you're trying to say, the movie didn't seem to focus on the vast expanse of the sites. Ihe way I see it though its because they wanted to tell the stories character wise. the plot is centered on the four kids ridding the Narnia from a supposed witch with the help of a majestic lion. and it went that route.

in comparison with the LOTR movies, they have to paint a picture of middle earth, the shire where hobbits lived and the kingdoms of Mordor and Gondor. No, Narnia just wanted to paint us a pictire that Narnia has been in winter for the past years and that they need to defeat the villain in order for spring to come. NO great scale for this one just good story.

Well, about the details of the book from the movie, I do admit I last read the book about 5 years or so ago and I felt that it just went the way it's supposed too. right down to Aslan doing what he did,
emiruss
I read the whole translated series in my childhood, maybe it was in my Primary 5, actually i have totally forgotten about it until i heard the news of this movie. Well i won't say i love the story, but i remember that i liked it when i was small. and i am surely goong to watch it. But i really don't know that C.S.Lewis don't want to make this flim.
kla_bor
I have to say I was thrilled by the film. At first I was convinced that what I was about to see was another film for small kids. I couldn't have been more wrong. I haven't read the books (as I'm not exactly what you would call a book-lover) though judging by the film I bet they're pretty good.

I especially enjoyed the animation and the way the world of Narnia was composed. The plot was gripping and not at all fairy-tailish. At one moment I even jumped up in my seat scattering my nachos all over myself Smile

I also enjoyed the humour and the "person" of Mr. Beaver. The witch was a bast!!! She'd definitely get my vote in "the best villain"-contest

I strongly recommend the film and I'm waiting impatiently for the next part Smile
avk
I think that narnia will be a su[per hit
I am waitin it for to release in My area
The we wil have fun

Happy NARNIAing
nivre
i haven't read the book so far. but the movies where good. especially the first movie Chronicles of Narnia, The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. I also saw the latest Prince Caspian, Does any one knows if this has next part or something. The movies where great too.
crimson_aria
I have never read the book nor watched the movie. But I am really interested.