FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

So, I just discovered emulators and ROMS

susanna mayfair
Ok, I was a deprived child. I never had any video game systems of my own. I guess because I was a girl, my parents never thought I needed one, even though I begged for many years. My brother had almost every single console but is quite a bit younger than me and I was pretty much over it and too cool for video games by then. Well, I just found emu's and ROMs and man I am wasting toooooo much time! These are so fun. I did play games at friend's houses before so I have found a ton of old favorites. The best thing is that I am still in the stone ages and only have dialup so these are easy to get since so many ROMS are under a meg. All the nintendo ones are and the super nintendo ROMs are about the same, or just over a meg. Anyone else a dork like me and love these?
ocalhoun
I like to play the old-school snes games with my emulator (I use zsnes for linux)
My favourite: Super Mario RPG
eepman
I used to have a deep obsession with roms, but i got rid of em and now the only time i use em is a snes emu on my psp.
Super Metroid and Super Mario World.
And I love the Super Tetrises with Bombliss and Familiss.
Proly the best puzzle games ever. Smile
jongoldsz
I play ROMS, but only the games I own. If you don't own the game you can't use the ROM legally.
benwhite
I grew up with some of the older games and I still play them today. My NES broke years and years ago and my cartridges were worn practically to dust. I first got into them when I wanted to play the original Zelda game several years ago (and my cartridge wasn't working).

In the end, I've used NES, SNES, MAME, and the various Gameboys. There are lot of games that you simply can't get a hold of without emulation and I'll admit that regardless of legality, I've had a great time with games that I never would have been able to play.

Case in point: Seiken Densetsu 3, an action RPG made by Square in Japan was the sequel to the classic SNES Secret of Mana. It was never released in America. Dedicated gamers dumped the ROM, translated it and hacked it together and released, allowing English, Spanish, and other speakers to finally play a game they had only dreamed of playing. Legal? No, but It was something I had hoped to play ever since I heard of its development. My computer will never be fast enough to make playing contemporary games worthwhile. But retrogaming doesn't particularly stir my guilt. I still purchase games for my PS2.

On a side note: Sony has announced the possibility that they may make PS3 games with the restriction to only be used on the system they are fisrt played on. That means that friends and family members will no longer be able to swap games between systems. While certainly a deterent against piracy, it would seem a painful measure against casual gamers who often would not purchase certain games otherwise.
susanna mayfair
Quote:
If you don't own the game you can't use the ROM legally.

Well, that's true but it's not like if I buy a used NES or SNES and old games Nintendo is going to make money from it now. They are all out of print so it is not taking away from them at all. Plus, there are very, very few games that I would buy for the $40 or more that they cost.

Quote:
On a side note: Sony has announced the possibility that they may make PS3 games with the restriction to only be used on the system they are fisrt played on.

That would ultimately be an unwise move I think. It will kill rentals off. Also, a lot of people can't afford brand new games and wait until they can find them cheaper used somewhere. Plus, what about all the people that beat a game and are done with it? Some games just don't have the longevity that allow for them to be played over and over. You beat it once or twice and move on. Sony sucks.
benwhite
Agreed. I'm sure they could make rental games especially with disabled protection and such. But I agree; that kind of restriction is basically a slap to the face for loyal costumers. Even if I didn't share games, I would still be offended by the pre-emptive action.

I love RPG's. I've practically almost never replay one. Most games aren't worth playing again. It would kill the resale market, which is a huge part of the industry. I don't think they'll go through with it--that's the kind of manuever that tips the market in favor of microsoft's new xbox360, which already has a headstart and a decent lineup.
EVILSKAAP
ROM games are wicked! Anyhow i an looking for any ROM emulator for WINDOWS MOBILE 5. If you know of a compatible one, please tell! THANKS. (Free or paid)
Eyre
Quote:
Well, that's true but it's not like if I buy a used NES or SNES and old games Nintendo is going to make money from it now. They are all out of print so it is not taking away from them at all. Plus, there are very, very few games that I would buy for the $40 or more that they cost.

Careful though, they can sue you and make more money from you than they would from you buying the system Wink Like that would happen.
susanna mayfair
Quote:
I'm sure they could make rental games especially with disabled protection and such.

And people could pirate those so it wouldn't really do a whole lot of good anyway. A lot of people who are going to pirate aren't going to actually buy the game anyway and it's going to be rentals that make up a large section of pirated material. I have no plans to buy a PS3 anyways but I still think it's crappy.

Quote:
Careful though, they can sue you and make more money from you than they would from you buying the system

Laughing Like you said, not gonna happen.
Grimboy
The early Final Fantasys are great and bayamut lagoon and chrono trigger is the best.
Cream
I've been using roms for a few years now and its great to replay old classics like streets of rage. I even love roms so much that I have the goodsets for the snes, nes and megadrive.
Scott
Quote:
I play ROMS, but only the games I own. If you don't own the game you can't use the ROM legally.

Actually, practically any rom is illegal, whether you own the game or not. That thing about owning the game or only having it on your computer for 24 hours is a complete lie/rumor.

But anyways, I love emulators, they are a great way to play old rare games.
djcaution
Man, it being illegal is like whatever. It's physically impossible to go out and BUY these games anymore! They're old and buried and stopped being made centuies ago so this is the only way possible for people to enjoy them. LET THEM. If game companies were smart they would market ROMS of old & buried systems themselves.

I ahem happen to have almost 800 snes games and over *cough* 1300 *cough* N64 games on my modded xbox... yes, I know. It's disgusting.
psycosquirrel
I have every Game Boy and NES game emulated on my ds. Over 300 games total, I think Very Happy
ericbobson
Hi everyone,
I could really do with one of these emulators to play nintendo 64 games...anyone know where I can download one?
powerman_2005
I've got all the old systems still and got like 50 games for them.
They're really fun, you can play them for hours!
KHO
Man, thats depresing Sad l had like 3gb of ROMs on my other computer, and l formated one day due to too much viruses and sort, and l forgot to back them up, and l to have a dial up connection, so this was death to download them.
David_Pardy
Google for an emulator, and for any ROMs. It would be naughty for us to tell you where to get stuff.

I play Pokemon on my work computer Very Happy
mcduck2002
yeh... when you get your hands on the emulator, grab a few ROMs of Mrs. PacMan and PacMan. those are a *must have* for any stone age dinosaur from the 80's b.c. (like me) Wink
driver
all of the roms i own i also have the proper game its just sometimes easier playing it on the computer than on the playstation or snes.
benwhite
Scott wrote:
Quote:

Actually, practically any rom is illegal, whether you own the game or not. That thing about owning the game or only having it on your computer for 24 hours is a complete lie/rumor.

But anyways, I love emulators, they are a great way to play old rare games.

That's actually not true. You can legally make a backup of things you own--like CD's and Software. That's always been part of a license for these things. So if you do own original game, you can have the ROM. Hence, while I own the original Zelda cartridge (yet cannot play it anymore), the ROM i have of it is legal.

Doesn't mean I don't also have illegal ones. But -that- one is legal.

side note: the newer the system (console, not portable) the worse the emulation. In my experience, n64 games don't play particularly well on computers and support is patchy for a lot of them. n64 is pretty cheap these days, it make sense to buy that sort of thing. If your computer is fast and has a good graphics card, you'll have better luck. Also keep in mind, Nintendo plans on re-releasing a lot of titles for the new Revoltion.
Metaguy
I love ROMS. I mainly used to use them on my psp before I upgraded... I loved being able to play all of my childhood favorites. Plus, although its illegal Sad and the 24 hours thing is a lie, what are people going to do about it?! Like, unless you get a Ceise and Desist, nobody is going to "track you down and kill you". Therefor I think ROMS are great, especially if your using them on the go Very Happy .
pjv
I love playing Nintendo games from time to time in my PC, their so cool, you know reminiscing those good old days! Though the graphics is way far behind the 3D games that we have now, I can't totally disconnect from the old games, maybe some sentimental something.. Very Happy
susanna mayfair
I completely agree about the newer emu's. The newest I have tried is N64 and it's not terrible, but it was a lot harder to try to play on the keyboard due to the amount of buttons a 64 controller has. Project64 is a good emulator though for N64.
I spent a couple hours going through ROMs online last night. I got a bunch more SNES ones. I think those are about my favorite. They have much better graphics than NES or Sega Genesis, are still a pretty small file, and there are a ton of great games that I have never played. Bust a Move is completely frickin addictive!
zipdaman12
I also loved the arcade as a child. I must have pumped countless quarters in the games over the years. I always dreamewd of having my very own arcade machine. I recently realized this dream by buildomg a mame cabinet. My machine plays all types of games and emulators; including the best in my opinion. Daphne. Dapjhne is a laserdisc emulator and allows you to play games like Dragon's lair and space ace. Couple that with being able to play them in an actual arcade cabinrt and I am in heaven.

Check out the pics of my project below.

http://www.wintersworld.frih.net/arcmain.htm

If you have any questions, pleease let me know.

Zip
Sephz0r
I love playing ROMs, some of the best games I own but can no-longer play due to the console being played to death are on my hard drive and even on my PSP now.

About 10,000+ ROMs available, even made my own once ;p
myrevolt
I recently found a torrent containing old NES games that I once owned (Star Tropic & Kirby Dreamland....I spend so much time playing those on my old NES until the video cable broke...and SNES was released.)

I found a cheap NES at a thrift-shop, too bad the blow on the cardridge trick doesn't seem to work anymore.

You know what I have also found immensely useful, graphing calculator emulators; I dropped my TI-89 so half the screen goes dark sometimes (I guess the LCD got dislodged?) and now at home I can run the emulator instead of fumbling with my calculator (and this one is technically completely legal cause I own the actual calculator).

Oh and then of course there is are Virtual Machines, VMWare now offers its workstation for free, so you can run another OS within your current OS.

P.S. The thing I most like about a good emulator is the ability to save anywhere in the game, I can't understand why they haven't implemented this into modern games; back in the NES era there simply weren't memory cards, but now they are in surplus, so I find this old habit of developers torture.
eku53ru
I guess that being a girl plays a part in how your parents view your gaming behaviors; I used to become heavily attached with the demos in stores as a young child, and enjoyed playing games at friend's homes. Despite what I had wished for Christmas, I knew that my stocking wouldn't be stuffed with any console in the future.

That changed, of course, when a cousin of mine visiting the States sent over a Gameboy Pocket for Christmas. If it weren't for that, I doubt that neither my sister nor I would be playing video games so much now. XD When I discovered emulators and ROMs, I was overjoyed; it allowed me to play games that I otherwise wouldn't be able to find in stores (imports, for one).
sponge
I like playing Nintendo Games too. My friend gave some Emulators and Games and I addicted to it easily. It was fun playing computer games. I was playing Crash Bandicoot. I like it too much. Try it and you will be amuse. Very Happy
jt32470
anyone know of a good atari 5200/7800 emulator? thanks in advance
Kaisonic
Speaking of companies marketing old games..... Wii anyone? They will have the ability to download (for a small price) old NES, SNES, N64 games, Segan Genesis, etc. which is certainly a smart move, and I think all companies should follow suit.

As for ROMs, I think have some around here somewhere. I play them occasionally. I used to play the old Sega Genesis Sonic games all the time, but now they have that Mega Collection for GameCube. And then I have an N64 one with Perfect Dark, but they're comin out with that on the Wii. Plus, I heard someone's making both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark as Half-Life 2 mods. Teehee.
ujhan
I've got a sega master system from the 80's and it is still fantastic. I crack it out every couple of months and try and keep up my skills that I had in my early teens. Side-scrollers seem to be a game genre of the past! they should really put some time in to take a look back at these older games for quality game play!

Favourite games:

Wonderboy in Monsterland (sega/arcade)
Snow Brothers (arcade)
Wonderboy III the dragon's trap
Microwave (Apple II)

Good luck with the search for the emulators! You should see if a site called "Daves Classic Gamers" still exists..

ujhan.
jairon
I discovered these wonderfull tools since 1997.. snez, n64, psx, mega driver, etc.. I played a lot of games in my pc.. The most played was bomberman (znes), (golden eye- 007) -> Nintendo 64... and tekken 3 from playstation one... but now i'm break with this games.. and others too... my college is taking all my time.. have now ideia how m here now.. hehehe.. i'm a 2nd year medicine student... (from brazil)-> So, its explain my bad english... hehehe
eday2010
I have emulators and ROMS for the Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Sega 32X, NES, SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance (I think), Collecovision, Atari 2600/5200/7800 (jt32470, I will check to see what emulator I have), TurboGrafix-16, Nintendo 64, and I think some others. Basically, way too many games for me to ever play!
Hayvanadam
Old street fighter days , they were cool
Obake
benwhite wrote:
Also keep in mind, Nintendo plans on re-releasing a lot of titles for the new Revoltion.

Really? Fantastic! I've only got ROMs for Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (my gaming interests are narrow and well-defined), basically because the only way to get hold of actual copies at the moment is via secondhand sales. I really don't see the point of spending money that's not even going to go towards supporting the people who made the games in the first place.

If there's re-release in the offing, though, that's another matter. I'm getting a Wii for Twilight Princess anyway; if there's a chance to pick up the old backlog and know that at least some of the money I spend is actually going to the people I want to thank, why not?
yaashop
I'm one of a guy who have been playing games for a long time. I like playing all kinds of games too. I also the same as the poster that like to play many nintendo's games. I have some roms for it (I only collect the one I like though) also some SNES roms. I have whole set of Final Fantasy Roms 1-6 both jap and eng versions XD (took me quite long time to get all but I'm glad I have it) ah this post remind me my good old days, maybe i'm too old now Razz anyways ROMs and Emulators are the best programs for me that can help me get the games I like to play before.
alkady
Wow, ROMS, I haven't touched these things in ages. I think the last ROM I picked up was in 2004 or something like that and it was for the GBA.
dstrawn
I like getting Super mario all-stars but its really hard to find
Daniel15
Careful with this topic; it is illegal to download a ROM if you don't own the game. Please keep all illegal links, etc. out of this topic.
My GBA roms are taken from my actual GBA cartridges, with the cable that came with my X-ROM, and my X-ROM Frontend Smile. I have a few N64 ROMS, but only of the games I actually owned (there's 8 or so of them).
I've also obtained a ROM for Sonic 3 on Sega Mega Drive (Genesis), as my Mega Drive no longer works (I'd really like to purchase one though. I've looked everywhere, and nobody is selling them anymore... Anyone in Melbourne selling a Sega Mega Drive and Sonic 3? Very Happy)

Quote:
I could really do with one of these emulators to play nintendo 64 games...anyone know where I can download one?

Probably the best emulator is Project64, which you can download from http://www.pj64.net/. Note that we won't be able to tell you where to get ROMs from, you're on your own for that Razz
myrevolt
@ Kaisonic
Seriously? I haven't played HL2 personally, but intend to - and a Perfect Dark mod?! *drools* Ok, I will have to do some research on it. As for Perfect Dark being available for the Wii, I somewhat doubt it because of Rare's relations with Nintendo, though it would be welcome (I personally wish they would "update" the virtual console games in the sense that this FPS really needs a faster frame rate after you've played a GCN and up ("current"-gen and last-gen) FPS. On a side note I have 3 dead N64 Gameshark's, is there a battery in it that died or something? Lastly I'm still disappointed about Rare's acquisition, never will Banjo-Threeie and Donkey Kong Racing exist.
Qube
Ohhhhh goddddd.
Emulators and ROM's.
Where to begin?
I absolutely love these things.
It's great for me, since my old consoles broke.
Atari, SNES, NES, Sega and N64.
Those are the ones I played most anyways.
You can not believe my elation when I got my hands on 1 of those Cobra/Raiden games.
I spent countless hours in the arcade next door to the washateria.
What was good was that if you hit the coin slot in just the right place, it would give you a free credit.
As for somewhat newer games...
Even some of my favorite PSX games are hard to find.
Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre: LUCT, etc.
I owned (they got scratched) these games, so I felt no hesitation in downloading 'em.
Consider it that digital backup right.
Though I hear they're taking that away soon...
I'll shutup now, before I rant on and on about how I love Emu's/ROM's.
<9
saeleyjnr
I'm all for roms & emulators.
I currently use psx, gameboy, snes, n64, PS2, sega CD and mega drive emulators.

tis muchly fun
TurboPerformance
yea im into gba gameboy advance roms and emulators they rock
ajbtap23
TurboPerformance wrote:
yea im into gba gameboy advance roms and emulators they rock

i agree i play pokemon games wit it and pepole make up their own ones and its relly fun pokemon blaze editon u get to big cyntiquil or torchik or chamender lol
TurkishGamer
Have you been missing out. I discovered roms and emulators during the first pokemon era. Its great.