FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Your Thoughts: Google Earth

Freezon
Quote:
Want to know more about a specific location? Dive right in -- Google Earth combines satellite imagery, maps and the power of Google Search to put the world's geographic information at your fingertips.

Official Site (and source): http://earth.google.com

It is quite an amazing program really. I downloaded the Plus version and was amazed at the satellite images and how dead on the tracking is. It also gives dead on destination locations, telling the miles to and from your selected point.

I even zoomed in on my own house, it was quite shocking. You can explore your city, town or country up close and personal.

So, what are your thoughts?
a.Bird
To be honest with you, I think Google knows what's up with innovation and today's technological standards. I mean have you checked out all of the stuff they have? Finance, news, maps, this new downloadable earth map program, email (probably the best email client i have ever used in my life... for FREE), and they started out as a search engine. I'm almost completely sure they have a team of geniouses and pretty soon, they'll be leading the way to visions that will help us out greatly, visions that companies will feel dumb for not having seen before.

I think what is also great is that alot of what they do, they do for free, and as far as I can, without any advertising. I wish I could give them all a big hug. I also hope that with the income from this new program, we'll be seeing some amazing changes in either their search engine, or more free software/service, or just really great software in general.
ocalhoun
Linux will kill Microsoft, then Google will replace Microsoft.
That's what I think will happen!
Google gains immunity to death by open-source by offering most of its services for free.

Anyway, Google earth is good, but the rural area I live in is just a big blur... , I can find where I work though. (Bok Tower)
Freezon
Quote:
Anyway, Google earth is good, but the rural area I live in is just a big blur... , I can find where I work though.

True. The images on my computer are kind of blury, but it does mention on the site that you must have a exceptionally good video card to view the images in detail. I am running on a ATI Xpress 200, which isn't great but better then my old Intel card. The images on mine are decent.

Also, another good point. Google has a huge linup of free programs and services (although Google Earth Pro costs, but that is mainly for buisnesses and such other large scale users) that give them a huge reputation.
chargoyle
Google gets it. They have insanely huge email accounts, this Google Earth satellite service, free movie hosting on Google Video, plus, of course, the awesome search engines. I think that Google Earth is a really great program because it can appeal to a wide variety of people. For the school-age group, you can get some amazing aerial pictures for reports or look up to see where family and friends are. Also, businesses can benefit too. The 3-D images, if included in reports or diagrams are sure to make some sort of impact. I think it's a great program, and am just wondering what's next for Google...
waiteck
Google Earth thou this prograsm is good, Its also have its bad points. Terrorists might use this program in viewing and planning where to bomb or.. wad eva..

So, this might be a useful source for terrorists.. So careful Razz
jongoldsz
Google Earth is cool, but there were some flaws in it. I think google already fixed them. Also, I don't think google will replace Microsoft, but it will replace MSN and Hotmail. But only Linux, Mac or UNIX can replace Microsoft.
benwhite
2 things.

1: Google, always trying to innovate in every direction at once, is researching the creating of an OS. Microsoft would obviously be against this, as Google is the one tech. company with the momentum to actually take a strong shot at Windows. (Although mozilla's firefox browser is the only browser to increase its share of the market currently, even though IE still dominates). Google may never create this OS, but rest assured, the thought has crossed their mind.

2. If you want some controversy, look into Google's newest endeavor, Google Books. They are currently being sued by several publishers for copyright infringement. Google is scanning full books and placing them on the web--allowing people to search the full text (they will only be able to read snippets. Links from the pages will give options for purchase). Google is currently scanning books from three of the world's largest library's, including Harvard University's. Google's defense is extremely strong and stems from the "Fair Use" clause of US copyright law. Intersting stuff, check it out.
ashok
Checkout this article:

Can there be another Google?
http://ct.techrepublic.com.com/clicks?c=886872-71315730&brand=techrepublic&ds=5&fs=0
vinodmishra
I would like to mention here that Google Earth is not an altogether Google product. Some time back google bought a company called Keyhole. Google Earth is nothing but Keyhole revamped. I downloaded Keyhole when Google bought it and I would say they have made numerous improvements since then.
What i like most about google is "Don't Be Evil"
Btw anyone saw their new serveices??
Google Base
Google Analytics
naz
Google Earth is personally (!) just a funny toy , nothing more
laima
yes1 i also zoomed my own hause Very Happy it was suprising! i even could notice things in my dad's car! and muchmore, even my cat going out for a walk. it is fascinating! i think you caould easely spy people with it, if it moved... Very Happy
byt
nice to see my truck sitting outside the yard, no chance of seeing any real detail though
Jayfarer
naz wrote:
Google Earth is personally (!) just a funny toy , nothing more

Right now, I agree, it's a toy. But it has potential to replace going online and looking at Mapquest/Google maps/Yahoo maps. Imagine just running that program to look up how to get to your destination, showing any of the local coffee shops to rest at, and then how to get back.
edallica
yep a toy is exactly what it is..a toy that has a use as well! google are amazing but you just cant help but get this feeling that google are this smiling happy bunch of easy going people throwing free stuff our way all the time on the out side, but on the inside are a bunch of conniving gits that are ready to beast us when we look away... Confused
Freezon
Google is striving to be on top of everything. A couple of years ago, I was reading the Guiness Book of World Records and under the most popular search engine (according to hits) was AltaVista. However, google has topped AltaVista, as we all know.

It is amazing how fast google has spread, and they are not offering just any type of software and services; but those leading ways to newer technologies and innovations to better suit our needs and lives. Google and their services make life a little easier.
a_dubDesign
I definetly understand google earth as a toy, thats all I used Keyhole as before Google bought it. I had it installed for a bit to play with it, and then after a month or so uninstalled it.
But Google Earth came out at the same time that I up and moved to a new state. I had no idea where anything was, and downloaded GoogleEarth, and man its been so much more than a toy. What I find really useful and powerful is how it links up to the internet to be able to do local searches. After 5 months of being here I still use it.
A teacher at a bible college I used to go to is now using GoogleEarth in his class room. Whenever he talks about geological things, he will set up a places folder and use the fly through tools to show everything. He also started using screen shots from the program for his map tests. He claims it takes 30 minutes off of his test prep time, and he actually sent me a gift card to Best Buy for introducing the program to him as a thank you.
azhang7
google earth...its amazing how interesting just watching satelite photos of the world is...unfortunately my graphics card is sub par...meaning i get blurry images and slow..uhh "traveling"? speed lol yea but if i had a better graphics card i would definately be hooked on it
LostOverThere
I like it, and use it a bit, usually to find nice places to go.
Though some photo's are out of date, and some a really blury.
narc
I love google earth. Last year when there was a forest fire about 5 miles from my house, I called the forest service and asked them for the coordinates of where the fire was and what direction it was heading. Then I went on google earth and looked at the mountains, where the fire was, and where my house is. This allowed me to decide whether or not to evacuate. I didn't, and the fire left me alone.

So you can go so far as to say... that google earth saves houses!

Ok, maybe that is a bit much, but it still rocks my casbah.
big d
I really like google earth....helps to see how far im form a certain location before travelling
66Badmin

Google Earth is a really good idea and it works well throughout the US but living in Europe it can be limited. I havent tired the upgrade, which you have to pay for - is this any good?
tribe
This program is sweet as can be but I do have some concerns about it. Google Earth bought Keyhole this past year. Keyhole had all the USA Covered even if its color shots from 1995! In my town of Youngstown, OH we had ours done in 2004 and they don't even have us on there its a blurry shot. I really could use them adding more cities like they claim to have covered on that visual map.

Its a great program but if Keyhole would've been well known prior to this; it be the big and the best! Wink Exclamation
lansnode
I can see my hometown from sky,
but,not clearly.
Daniel15
At the start of this year, there was almost no imagery for Melbourne, Australia (it was just plain). Now, the Melbourne imagery is very good, I can even see my house! It's not as good as other countries, but still good.

The only bad thing is that it doesn't know anything about streets in Australia.

On the other hand, MSN Mappoint is a map site that knows about streets in Australia. While it isn't the same as Google maps (I don't think it has satellite maps), it's still useful to find out how to get somewhere (you type in the start and end addresses, and it tells you what roads to take!) http://mappoint.msn.com/
Lochium
I had this program too. It was really great. I saw my house and car Smile
windval
Freezon wrote:
Quote:
Want to know more about a specific location? Dive right in -- Google Earth combines satellite imagery, maps and the power of Google Search to put the world's geographic information at your fingertips.

Official Site (and source): http://earth.google.com

It is quite an amazing program really. I downloaded the Plus version and was amazed at the satellite images and how dead on the tracking is. It also gives dead on destination locations, telling the miles to and from your selected point.

I even zoomed in on my own house, it was quite shocking. You can explore your city, town or country up close and personal.

So, what are your thoughts?

for sure

it is amazing

google always make the people surprise
Billwaa
Really cool and useful. I can search stuffs that I want to do ^^
NeShYU
Im having wireless on 64k. Can it work? i dont have time right now to download it and try it.
schumway
it is kinda neat but not sure how frequently the maps are loaded. It is neat how it scams some folks into thinking they are higher res images with google earth vs online... it is the same picture just digital zoom like you can with any other imaging software.

it is kinda neat if you do not have internet access... like a GPS map or something when on the road... as long as they are up to date enough and you are not in an area that has not been mapped yet like most of Canada

but who would want to come up here in the winter LOL
albert
I think the Google Earth is just a software for the kid to see where thier home is Laughing .

I won't download that silly software.
It waste the computer many CPU .
kany
Well the version that is downloadable does not shoes many details. but its really a nice software and worth a try. Even the big companies use google earth on there news nowadays.
schumway
ya I am currently using it to show my parents who are in another province... some of the properties that are for sale.

it is also neat because it shows a lot of the roads that are not on maps (so does the online one of course since it is the same thing).

Also... I am an ATV rider so it also shows a lot of the logging roads and some other areas that are not on any maps and some of the areas where there may be some 'considerations' like a beaver dam flooding some part of the woods or whatever.

Also, I live by a stream and I want to do some work on my property. The government wants an photo of the area from above so they can see the lay of the land as well as elevations. I get the elevation marks with my GPS andI use google maps for the photo showing the property... where as before the government wanted $120 for a map of the area!!!!! So I could show them where I lived... on their map... I would need to give back to them... and not get back LOL

it does have its uses. I do have some concerns though about how accurate some of this stuff is. I am not sure I would want people to know exactly where my house is and how to get here by following the roads. Likely the reason a lot of the bigger cities have not been mapped?

Anyone know where you can get good railway maps of BC Canada? I am an HO model railroader as well and I would like to do some of the track through the rockies but I can not find a map showing the tracks of BC. I got the latest maps from the CAA thinking they would show the railroad lines but they dont!!!!

I looked on google maps and they do not resolve well enough to confirm the rails. ARRRG LOL
rk2010
First of all it is an amazing piece of software but all i can say is that its so addicting. Once I start i can't stop....
animefanlee
cool software google rules makes other tech companies jealous as hell
42mart2
I have Google Earth and I am so pissed that they dont take good photographies of Norway, espessially kristiansand!
But other than that the program is very good and handy....
Try finding the White House, haha, looks kinda stupid.
Flat like a pancake! Laughing
Rocky3478
It's an interesting program, now that it's out for Mac. Smile
schumway
I still do not see how it is any different than the web. YOu can zoom in but you are just zooming in on the pixels. if you want it that bad down load the map and zoom in further... got to love marketing LOL
Solugon
Google Earth is very neat. I had Keyhole once too, and if Google DID buy Keyhole, I guess I should no longer surprised at the similarities of the two.

I zoomed in on my house and the area around it, but it was so sadly out of date... the area where the Target nearby is has nothing but a blank spot there on the map.. Sad
Jack_Hammer
It's not for linux, thats my main thought.
rasputinrockband
I downloaded google earth earlier and it totally scared the crap out of me. I put in my address to find myself flying through space right into toronto, and focusing directly on the rooftop of my apartment!! dang, if google's got that kind of power, imagine the satilite accuracy organizations and governments around the world must have!

I'm telling you, come world war 3, were gonna see some technology that'll blow our minds!

"From the moment when the machine first made its appearance it was clear to all thinking people that the need for human drudgery, and therefore to a great extent for human inequality, had disappeared. If the machine were used deliberately for that end, hunger, overwork, dirt, illiteracy and disease could be eliminated within a few generations. ... But it was also clear that an all-round increase in wealth threatened the destruction - indeed, in some sense was the destruction - of a hierarchical society. ... the most obvious and perhaps the most important form of inequality would already have disappeared. If it once became general, wealth would confer no distinction. ... But in practice such a society could not long remain stable. For if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function, and they would sweep it away. In the long run, a hierarchical society was only possible on a basis of poverty and ignorance. ... Ignorance is Strength"
-George Orwell (1984)
Panthrowzay
the program is nice and has some scary possiblities like spying (not actively) on things, really helps on giving directions to the inlaws or other people on how to get to your house. Im useing it right now wheeeee
Shiva
a little tip, go to france, paris and look at the eifel tower..

It looks more silly than the white house!!!

actually, It's only the empire state buildiung and other famours buildings in new york that's been 3D-animated... the statue of liberty also looks quite funny

Laughing
[FuN]goku
google earth pWns
Lennon
You can see my house...

http://student.dcu.ie/~lennonr2/achill.htm
SkullPizza
Google earth is the most amazing program ever devised. EVER
Lennon
A great tool for Geographic analysis. Using Google earth and internet photo galleries and maps of areas around the world, I can easily learn a lot about the geography of any region in the world.

As a tool for surveyance, it's fantastic. Beyond that, a quick glance and you'll soon be off in a tangent wasting time looking for interesting sites that don't look as impressive from 100km above.
schumway
I am just glad I was wearing clothes the day they took the picture of my place! The photo of my house is about 4 years old so that would be a long time of people laughing!

also interesting... is that they are now launching sats that will give the public GPS readouts within 3ft. You know the USA can likely see a pin drop anywhere in the world... would be neat to have that ability.

there is a company in the USA where they have a private sat. If you want a scan of an area they will sell it to you. Course... depending on where you are looking I am sure there would be some FBI/CIA folks watching your mail and phone more intently LOL I never did check in to see how much it was. Would be pretty funny if you knew when it was happening and then got all your friends over an mooned as they took the picture. So mature.
monkeystravels
Google Earth is the best thing on the internet, ever. I almost gave Grandad a heart attack when I showed him it.
thiamshui
indeed Google Earth is a cool program.. it can be used for good but also can be used to do harm.. what's the difference between Google Earth and the Pro version? anybody knows?
planet
It really is very nice, I have used it to explain to my grandkids where they are in daily life and where we are, now they do it at home and we have put cameras up so we can use Skype with pix.
The resolution is not too good for out area but thats to be expected since we are in the middle of nowhere.
schumway
I was amazed by google mars...

I picked out my retirement plot...
Excellence
its alright, the photos are incredible and are very beautiful! I mean no one ever made this except google
Scorpio
It is quite an interesting software. I downloaded it as soon as it was introduced and it worked very well from the start.

These innovations are a sure shot way of making money and controversy.
They've only left out production of Operating Systems.
If they start that too who knows what will happen to the already competitive software OS market.

GO GOOGLE Cool
TurkishGamer
this program was awesome.The image looks a little 3d if you change the angle.I like the way that it zooms out and then moves towards the address you wrote and not just transports you.
alkady
Its a great program because I can see London, I can see France, I can see someones underpants. No seriously I can. JK
dz9c
a.Bird wrote:
To be honest with you, I think Google knows what's up with innovation and today's technological standards. I mean have you checked out all of the stuff they have? Finance, news, maps, this new downloadable earth map program, email (probably the best email client i have ever used in my life... for FREE), and they started out as a search engine. I'm almost completely sure they have a team of geniouses and pretty soon, they'll be leading the way to visions that will help us out greatly, visions that companies will feel dumb for not having seen before.

I think what is also great is that alot of what they do, they do for free, and as far as I can, without any advertising. I wish I could give them all a big hug. I also hope that with the income from this new program, we'll be seeing some amazing changes in either their search engine, or more free software/service, or just really great software in general.

couldnt of siad it better
schumway
nice to see them update the maps too... I am sure there are a few sat's wizzing around up there with nothing better to do than send us pix... esp of nude beaches. Gotta use the technology for something!
r_y_e_20
I was so amazed when i first use google. What a technology! and i played on it like an hour. and i just thought american military could be using a more advance tool than this, a clearer and faster one to track down their enemies abroad.
Eyre
i thought google earth was pretty cool. googles getting bigger and bigger.
time_ar
I think google earth is more successful, compared to google's other side-products. However, besides curiosity, there's not much use to it for most users. Mapquest, etc, is more useful for searching locations, or planing routes.
schumway
I am still interested in trains and there are not many around anymore... so sometimes it is neat to follow the main lines to see if you can see google catching a train in motion. There are more than you would think (in Canada where we have more or less got rid of trains).

It is also funny to see strips where the seasons have changed so on one area there is a nice warm beach and then right beside it is 4ft of snow.
FunDa
Google Earth is simply amazing ! It is different from other online maps because it's like having the world at your fingertips. It's quite a different feeling when u can spin the globe and fly over to ur destination. Wow ! Google surely knows what's appealing. Genius ! My classmates even showed me their homes on it and where their dad's car was parked and . . . Simply amazing. Try it when u can.
poet
I like and use this more then other map services, has come in real handy for a search tool for job hunting. I agree in some areas they are outdated in some of the graphics, but when you can fly the route to be traveled gives a better visual the the other map services.
Lillefix
I love to just watch at all the wierd places on this globe...
htmlrules
google earth is a really great program in my view
jimstelfox
This has to a tremendous freebie for education, now our children can see where on this earth things are, instead of opening a book of maps which do not really give a good indication of what you are looking at except whats in front of you. I found places of relatives and always view hotels before my holidays.
chandanis
Personally I find Google Earth very useful, does anyone know what difference are there between Google Maps and Google Earth?
kiranaghor
Heyit is really good program but how often they 'renew' the maps? coz i see plain roads in tose places where currently flyover construction is going on...
The programs works well on my amd 64 + 6600 (256MB Gfx) pc. On my ibook it looks aawww... Sad
Dustylunchbox
i just cant wait til the future when its realtime i mean imagine it!!!!
also it could be allittle more compatible with mac but thats comeing as u may have seen in the news on of the top dogs in google is now also a top dog with apple :p yay for us!!!!
vivaprint
Google earth is really fantastic...

I can see my home with that great program
UWereTheOne
I think Google Earth is great, I love all Google products.
dynamics
Google Earth is great! I've been using it since last year. Just hope that Google will provide more coverage outside the US.
brian
I think Google Earth is amazing that can let me take a trip around the world! Must Try! Very Happy
schumway
I am into model trains and I found a place where people scan google maps for long frieght trains on the tracks... interesting and saves gas LOL
Chris24
From what I understand and have heard Google screwed keyhole ........
faker_phil
Google Earth is wonderful for showing your Internet buddies who live on another continent where you live, let them see a bit of your life (school etc.). Of course, you should only show it to people who you know and who you trust, don't show random people where you live! Wink