FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Is the death penalty wrong?






Death sentance for capitol punishment?
Make it the only option, no more life sentances
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
Should be used most of the time
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Current usage is good
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
Should be used less often
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Should be abolished, all life sentances
50%
 50%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 46

ocalhoun
I strongly support the death penalty.
here's some reasons:

    I don't want my tax dollars spent to support and gaurd a convicted muderer.
    If I was convicted of a capitol offence, I would prefer the death sentence over life in prison.
    Escape from prison is possible, but not escape from death.
    I don't believe in rehabilitation.


It should, however be carried out in the most humane way possible.
(a couple pounds of high explosives straped to the head would be a very humane method, as it would cause an immidiate end to conciousness)
SilverDogg
of course not! its inhuman, its barbaric, and of course, VERY STUPID!
why kill someone who have killed to show that it is wrong to kill?

Quote:
I don't want my tax dollars spent to support and gaurd a convicted muderer.


you do realise that for every person you kill you could keep 4.25 persons alive in prison for life?

Quote:
If I was convicted of a capitol offence, I would prefer the death sentence over life in prison.


DUH! lifetime is prison is worse punishment than death. why should they get off the hook so easy?

Quote:
Escape from prison is possible, but not escape from death.


dude, your prisons must suck if its that easy to escape.

Quote:
I don't believe in rehabilitation.


well, thats understandable. me, i try to believe the best about humans =)
ocalhoun
SilverDogg wrote:
DUH! lifetime is prison is worse punishment than death. why should they get off the hook so easy?

How can you talk about the death penalty as letting them off easy, and then call it inhumane?
Only if life in prison is even less humane!
SilverDogg
it is inhuman because it is barbaric, but in the same time it is the easy way out. theres no denying that. life in prison for life is pretty much the same as being dead, just that you have to endure it longer.

and in some ways even prison is inhuman.
Bondings
Just to give you a very good reason against death penalty. You are never sure that someone is guilty. I read somewhere that over 3% of the executed prisoners were innocent. I mean that of 3% the innocence was proven after their death. This is plain murder. It's normal that justice makes mistakes, but at least with other penalties you can release them.

Quote:
I don't want my tax dollars spent to support and gaurd a convicted muderer.

Like SilverDog said, the death penalty (in the USA) is several times more expensive than prison. Your money is used to murder innocent people.

About rehabilitation, I have to agree with you for most cases and for serious crimes. Someone who kills people for money as a 'job' will almost never become normal. However, passionate crimes (not sure about how those are called in english) like a wife killing her husband because he cheated her, are a bit different.
mceejaydee
SilverDogg wrote:
of course not! its inhuman, its barbaric, and of course, VERY STUPID!
why kill someone who have killed to show that it is wrong to kill?


Death penalties are punishment. They kill they get killed and get what they deserve.
SilverDogg
mceejaydee wrote:
SilverDogg wrote:
of course not! its inhuman, its barbaric, and of course, VERY STUPID!
why kill someone who have killed to show that it is wrong to kill?


Death penalties are punishment. They kill they get killed and get what they deserve.


so dont you think the executers should be brought to justice as well? they killed a person too. or is it ok when the government does it?
lockwolf
I really think that the Death Penalty should be used more often.

A few weeks ago there was a shooting at a nearby mall (The Tacoma Mall Shooting for those of you that want to look it up). Kid goes nuts, shoots about 6 people, paralyzes one of them and causes a major panic. Most likely, this kid is going to get like 20-40 years in prison. Doesnt something seem wrong here? Shoots 6 people and paralyzes one and only gets 20-40? That dude deserves death!
izcool
ocalhoun wrote:
I don't want my tax dollars spent to support and gaurd a convicted muderer.

Then that means that you are selfish. You don't care for other people in this world whether if they are innocent or guilty. They probably realize their mistake after winding up in jail or get the death penalty.

ocalhoun wrote:
If I was convicted of a capitol offence, I would prefer the death sentence over life in prison.

It's a bit wity for people to kill theirselves for stupid reasons. There will always be a better day tomorrow.

ocalhoun wrote:
Escape from prison is possible, but not escape from death.

Don't say that nothing's possible. Anything's possible in this world.

ocalhoun wrote:
I don't believe in rehabilitation.

Some people want to better themselves after what they've done. It cannot be entirely their fault either. I remember reading an article about how a teenager was murdered by her mother for having sex with her fiancee. The mother had her son get the bottle of bleach from the basement to "punish her". The mother was charged and probably realized her mistake that she didn't mean to kill her. I would want to try to fix it if I were in her situation.

I am against the death penalty. I remember reading an article on MSNBC the other day about the 1,000th person that was on death row since the death penalty was re-instated in 1976 was held back.

- Mike.
a.Bird
It seems to me that the only reason advocates support capital punishment is out of revenge for murder. Give me another reason that someone should be committed to death row, and I might start to see your side of this debate. However, it seems to me that the only device pushing for capital punishment is arrogance. With a species that holds such an enormous capacity for intelligence, reason, debate, and logic, I can't believe that we would rather resort to the murdering of a human being, and living breathing entity with it's own form of consciousness and universe, than to come about a better solution. There has GOT to be a better solution that we can all come to some compromise on. How much progress can we make if we kill the mistakes we have made? I bet you most of the murders in the U.S. are the result of stressful oppression by our government over many years. I'm not saying the our government is directly involved, but I'm making the point that many cases of murder have a reason behind it, less obvious than the apparent reasoning behind the suspect, but a deeper, pyschological complex resulting from many things that can be target, for that person and for future persons.

I believe today, many Americans are too quick to judge, too quick to act, and too headstrong to admit their mistakes. Capital punishment is SUCH an easy answer, it's almost obvious why we would choose it.
Slick
i think the convicted person should be left in a room with all the family of the person killed or the family affected in general, so they can do wat they want to him/her!

justice served by the people most affected then!

as soon as someone invades someone elses personal space without permission... they loose there rights to anything and deserve anything they recieve!

that goes for assult, rape, robbery, burglary...

put it this way... anyone does anything to me or my family no one would find the body! Laughing
Slick
a.Bird wrote:
It seems to me that the only reason advocates support capital punishment is out of revenge for murder. Give me another reason that someone should be committed to death row, and I might start to see your side of this debate. However, it seems to me that the only device pushing for capital punishment is arrogance. With a species that holds such an enormous capacity for intelligence, reason, debate, and logic, I can't believe that we would rather resort to the murdering of a human being, and living breathing entity with it's own form of consciousness and universe, than to come about a better solution. There has GOT to be a better solution that we can all come to some compromise on. How much progress can we make if we kill the mistakes we have made? I bet you most of the murders in the U.S. are the result of stressful oppression by our government over many years. I'm not saying the our government is directly involved, but I'm making the point that many cases of murder have a reason behind it, less obvious than the apparent reasoning behind the suspect, but a deeper, pyschological complex resulting from many things that can be target, for that person and for future persons.

I believe today, many Americans are too quick to judge, too quick to act, and too headstrong to admit their mistakes. Capital punishment is SUCH an easy answer, it's almost obvious why we would resort to it as a solution.


while i see ur point i really dnt think u'd agree with wat u just stated and many other people if u or the other disagreeing posters had been affected by a family member or close friend being killed, assulted, raped etc...

obviously i'd never wish anything upon anyone.... but i think as much as we say now we agree or disagree... none of use can really say or give an accurate decision until were in the situation!
a.Bird
Slick wrote:
while i see ur point i really dnt think u'd agree with wat u just stated and many other people if u or the other disagreeing posters had been affected by a family member or close friend being killed, assulted, raped etc...

obviously i'd never wish anything upon anyone.... but i think as much as we say now we agree or disagree... none of use can really say or give an accurate decision until were in the situation!


The truth is, if someone kills someone close to me, even if intentionally, out of cruel, unjustified hatred, I would not want him to get off the hook so easily by getting murdered on death row. "Oh muh gawd let's fry 'em up!" Yeah, he really learned his lesson. And now he's probably doing everything he can to change his life around 6 feet underground.

And you're still missing a serious point. Many people die from capital punishment who haven't committed any crime whatsoever and don't deserve punishment. If you're for the death penalty, your for the gambling of innocent lives. Wow, that sounds just like our president. God bless Amur'ca!

At least with a life sentence, the murderer would suffer for a longer period of time. What is more justice to you? A few weeks to a few months of mental torture before a quick death? Or a few decades of mental and physical anguish in a depressing environment? And IF the person is truly innocent, they at least have the chance to recall the case and make an effort of claim THEIR justice.
ocalhoun
Of course some innocent people will get the death penalty.
Some guilty people will get off completely free.
That's because the legal system isn't perfect!
Slick
a.Bird wrote:


At least with a life sentence, the murderer would suffer for a longer period of time. What is more justice to you? A few weeks to a few months of mental torture before a quick death? Or a few decades of mental and physical anguish in a depressing environment?


givin em a good ****** hiding for starters the rest decided by the next family member in line and so forth!
Lilystock
I'm against, because :

1- It is based on the idea that human justice (court justice) is infallible. And as you said, there is no way to go back... So what ? If it was really justice, then we should also kill the people who wrongly judge the innocent...

2- It is based on the idea that one can be completly wrong and the other completly right. But society mentality changes... What is wrong one time can be right again on an other time. There is no absolute.

3- You do not precise what crime would call for a death sentence... I'm sure that not everybody (even those who support death sentence) would approve of the crime you would cite.

4- It is based on the idea that the culprit has full responsability of his act, and no circumtances or raising can excuse it. Personnaly, I believe that parents have a big responsability on how their children will turn out. Does it mean that we should kill the parents to ? And the rest of society for not having be able to help him turn out well ?

But most of all, I don't believe that it works, even as a punishment since there is not less murders in US (maybe even more thanks to guns) than in other countries.
susanna mayfair
I do support the death penalty and feel that it should be used more often and for more than just murder. It is a proven fact that child molestors are pretty much unable to be rehabilitized, yet they sit in prison and go to little classes and make nice with the parole board and someday get back out on the street to do it again to more kids, and usually much more than before prison because they've had that whole time to let their fantasies grow and twist and get ideas from other inmates. I'm sorry but people like that should not jusst be thrown in prison, even if it is for decades. When they get out, they WILL do it again. They should be put to death.

Quote:
you do realise that for every person you kill you could keep 4.25 persons alive in prison for life?


This is because of our appeal process and the way the legal system lets people make appeal after appeal and drag the process out for 10-20 years. If people were executed shortly after sentencing, this would not be the case at all.

I am not an inhumane person but I am realistic and I know that the majority of people who commit capital crimes are beyond rehabilitation and they don't deserve to live, even in prison.
Barely 10 posts here yet and I'm jumping into this topic. I must be nuts.
waiteck
I disagree with the death penalty.. Its considered as unnatural death.. Besides that, imagine its procedures.. Its so cruel!
jongoldsz
I support the death penalty because murderers don't deserve to live. Suppose they escape and go on a killing spree, it will be to late to stop them because they already killed more people. In other words a guilty person should be killed because it will prevent innocent people from being killed.
Slick
waiteck wrote:
I disagree with the death penalty.. Its considered as unnatural death.. Besides that, imagine its procedures.. Its so cruel!


not as cruel as some mental nuttah creaping into ur home and twisting a knife into ur little sisters chest is it!

wat a defence "dnt do it its cruel"... come on....
benwhite
Although I personlly support the death penelty, it is extremely expensive. A prisoner can ask for retrials, can enter pleas, etc. in order to delay their execution. These trials and other costs actually make the death penelty incredibly expensive in its current form.

However, the notion that people who are innocent are executed frequently is becoming less and less true. With DNA marking, it is often much more straightforward to -prove- the guilt of a criminal than ever before. Though it certainly still happens, it is very difficult to receive the death penelty. In general, at least today, it requires absolute guilt of a particularly heinous crime.
xxbabygirlxx
i would like to see it used less often..no offence i kinda dont want my tax dollars funding there lifeing styles in jails usless they didnt do anything that was so bad but i mean a guy who like kills 15 people i dont want to fund him for his stupid misakes.
SilverDogg
another fact is also that is very biased. who get sent to death row most? black people!
if a white kills a white, his risk of going to death row is lesser than the risk the black man who killed a white/black is (especially if he killed a white).

ocalhoun, so you think its ok to sacrifice a couple of people just to get the ones who "deserve" it?

if we use "an eye for an eye..." we have to do that on everything.

rape the rapist.
burn down the arsonists house.
rob the robber.

and so on...
Slick
SilverDogg wrote:

if we use "an eye for an eye..." we have to do that on everything.

rape the rapist.
burn down the arsonists house.
rob the robber.

and so on...


exactly wat i suggest should happen! Cool
Bondings
If you execute an innocent person, you comitted a murder. Why don't you apply eye for eye in this case?
llsanderll
Just the tought of getting death punished when you're innocent...

Lots of people got death punished from whom later was proven that they were innocent. And I also think nobody has the right to decide about someone else's life, especially not american judges ...
naz
llsanderll wrote:
Just the tought of getting death punished when you're innocent...

Lots of people got death punished from whom later was proven that they were innocent. And I also think nobody has the right to decide about someone else's life, especially not american judges ...


That's the only reason I'm against death pusihment,because you never know if the guy that will be killed is really the murder. I don't think that we can always be sure, on the othe hand if he/she admits it,than we can proceed...
Slick
naz wrote:
llsanderll wrote:
Just the tought of getting death punished when you're innocent...

Lots of people got death punished from whom later was proven that they were innocent. And I also think nobody has the right to decide about someone else's life, especially not american judges ...


That's the only reason I'm against death pusihment,because you never know if the guy that will be killed is really the murder. I don't think that we can always be sure, on the othe hand if he/she admits it,than we can proceed...


but even those who admit to a crime have often be found to be amitting it through sheer pressure from police etc, mental state or pressure by say a gang or something

really theres not a right or wrong answer! just opinions!
elekis
why I m against that, simply cause I have no idea if a murder is better where is he after his execution than now , and like we say " god forgive all your sin"

of corse the inverse it's a trouble too. I always said if one day I m a poor who must live under bridge , I kill someone It's four stars hotels for the rest of my life. (live good without freedom or to be free without life???dilemma).
.
nathan99
few things. taking saomeones life doesnt affect them at all if theyre dead, only the people that care for them, yet the dead person feels no remorse or anything!!the death penatly is stupid!! it gives the wrong impression, lead by example, ever heard that? well its some example theyre setting.

Maybe you could get over the fact you need to pay a little bit of money which no doubt the government will take anyway.It like saying you're my brother and christmas is coming, so i may as well kill you cos i dont wanna buy you a present Confused

Someones life should never be sacrificed to teach a lesson. It tramples all over someones right to live.

How do you know you'll rather it over prison, you ever been there?, whats so bad about it. theres people to talk, food, drink, tv... whats so bad? those are proven facts, name some proven facts you know about..

and maybe when you said you'll rather death have you thoguht, there are other people in the world who care about you and will be distraught? maybe you forgot, well go ask someone, famiuly or friend, ask the, "What would you rather if i committed a crime? Death, or prison?" Were after prison to have time to clear your name, but with death you die a criminal?

And yes police are so detemined to get a name for themselves, or get a coviction to solve a crime the put so much pressure on people so they make a false confession, or police fabricate evidence... Also as someone saaid some of the time people ARE INNOCENT!!

I think that one day global authorities are going to wake up to this, and then all executioners and people who demanded death will either be put it prison or killed, similar to WW2.

Death is never a fair punishment, too many innocents are effected where the criminal doesnt have anything to worry about.
byt
for some prison is an improvment over life outside, for them prison is no deterent at all and that is very sad.

the death penalty should be used instead of life in prison especially for those that have little chance of ever getting out, or have no remorse for what they have done
[FuN]goku
i dont agree with the death penalty it just makes me sick.... but maybe its accepted in some cases... say like osama bin laden for example.. if he was caught i would put him on it... but... i think only terrorists should have the death penalty and other people just be thrown in jail for however long the judge decides
LostOverThere
The Death Penalty doesn't achive anything.
Say someone murders someone, and then they get the death penalty,

Its like saying to a baby "Don't hit people" and then the parent hits them...


I actually posted something like this on a blog:

http://www.vertigogaming2.net/blog
byt
well if some little scrote kidnapped, raped, tortured and then murdered my daughter/ wife I would want them dead.

If the punishments were a lot harder then maybe they would be a bit better deterrent.
Kiliox
Quote:
of course not! its inhuman, its barbaric, and of course, VERY STUPID!
why kill someone who have killed to show that it is wrong to kill?


I'm not agree with you, it is an integral part of humans behavior. We are naturally egoist and cruel. In other words, killing an other person is not properly "inhuman".

However i'm strongly opposite to the death penalty, since we are not god we can make mistakes. And apply such a sentence to innocents is probably the worst crime ever.

Moreover, condamned someone to die, even a murderer, means that you will exactly act like him.

Quote:
I don't want my tax dollars spent to support and gaurd a convicted muderer.
If I was convicted of a capitol offence, I would prefer the death sentence over life in prison.
Escape from prison is possible, but not escape from death.
I don't believe in rehabilitation.


This guy have probably worked before that, so he paid taxes like everyone. We are a comunity, and we have to live as a community. Old mans and handicapped persons are useless to the community, so why should we pay for them? Because we are humans and have a conscience.
Well, it's also the same thing with murderer.

And I think it would be nice to force them to work for the community, this way they will pay their due.
SilverDogg
byt wrote:
well if some little scrote kidnapped, raped, tortured and then murdered my daughter/ wife I would want them dead.

If the punishments were a lot harder then maybe they would be a bit better deterrent.


of course i would want to see them dead too. who wouldnt? but its not up to you nor me to decide whether [s]he should live or die, and therefore we cant say "now you die".
PatTheGreat42
I don't think the death penalty should NOT be used lightly, but I think it should stay, and in fact, I think it should be more public.

Punishment is only a really effective deterrant when everyone can see it, knows about it, and fears it. You shouldn't fear the government or the legal system, but the legal system needs to make sure the people know that there are penalties for committing horrible acts. In order to give a purpose to the death penalty, people have to see people die for their actions. If the death penalty is going to be kept behind closed doors and be treated in a detached way, there's no point.
mceejaydee
SilverDogg wrote:
mceejaydee wrote:
SilverDogg wrote:
of course not! its inhuman, its barbaric, and of course, VERY STUPID!
why kill someone who have killed to show that it is wrong to kill?


Death penalties are punishment. They kill they get killed and get what they deserve.


so dont you think the executers should be brought to justice as well? they killed a person too. or is it ok when the government does it?


As I said, a punishment. Executers shouldn't be brought to justice because they're giving what the offender deserves. If i'm wrong here would be the chain of what you mean by executers brought by justice


Offender--Kills-->Person
Executer--Kills-->Offender
Executer--Kills-->Executer
Executer--Kills-->Executer
Executer--Kills-->Executer

And so on and so on you get the point
odinstag
The death penalty is justice. You punish every single tax payer when you keep the condemned alive instead. There is no reason what-so-ever to keep the type of people the death penalty removes alive.

No reason at all. No mercy.
odinstag
I see all these people saying that we are not god so we cannot judge or take life. You arguement depends on a faith in this so-called god.

Maybe we should just forgive these people and let them loose to keep doing what they do. Then they will kill off enough of the bleeding hearts and the people livign in reality can have justice without all the whining.
Mrs Lycos
Living is not the same as existing. Many people merely exist, and if they don't do anything to honour their existence, and what is worse, they cut out other people's lives, then they don't deserve to continue existing. And yes, there should be an organism which controls and applies death penalties. Ideally it should be the goverment, although the government we have now is just a cartoon of what a real government should be.
LostOverThere
If you make a mistake (IE: The person is inicent) if they're sent to life in jail, you can take them out of jail.

BUT if you gave them the death Penalty, you can't just say: "Sorry we killed you, we thought that you murdered so and so, but turns out you didn't, making us the murderer, here lets give you back your life".

Just won't happen, they're dead - forever.
SilverDogg
mceejaydee wrote:
SilverDogg wrote:
mceejaydee wrote:
SilverDogg wrote:
of course not! its inhuman, its barbaric, and of course, VERY STUPID!
why kill someone who have killed to show that it is wrong to kill?


Death penalties are punishment. They kill they get killed and get what they deserve.


so dont you think the executers should be brought to justice as well? they killed a person too. or is it ok when the government does it?


As I said, a punishment. Executers shouldn't be brought to justice because they're giving what the offender deserves. If i'm wrong here would be the chain of what you mean by executers brought by justice


Offender--Kills-->Person
Executer--Kills-->Offender
Executer--Kills-->Executer
Executer--Kills-->Executer
Executer--Kills-->Executer

And so on and so on you get the point


who are you to say what the offender deserve? how can you decide whats good for anyone else?

odinstag wrote:
I see all these people saying that we are not god so we cannot judge or take life. You arguement depends on a faith in this so-called god.

Maybe we should just forgive these people and let them loose to keep doing what they do. Then they will kill off enough of the bleeding hearts and the people livign in reality can have justice without all the whining.


not at all. you are entirely wrong. in fact, most people who do believe in god thinks its ok with death penalty (strangely enough). i say that nobody can decide what to do with your life.

and no, dont act like youre stupid (even though you might not be acting?). we shouldnt let them free. ever. if they commited a crime so serious, they should be put away for life. not put down.
watersoul
Personally I'm glad that in my country we abolished the death penalty. I'm sad that "life imprisonment" only means 20-25 years before you're released "on life license" and can rebuild your life again. If only because of the mistakes in police investigations, plus the inability sometimes to absolutely guarantee that someone is guilty of a crime, I could never agree to the death penalty.
I do think that if a person has committed a totally horrible murder then they lose the right to be in general society, and should be locked up until they die, or until new evidence proves them innocent.
...it's not possible to bring a person back from the dead yet, so killing by the state is too risky for me.
standready
I am mixed here! I could not kill myself unless someone killed a member of my family.
watersoul
I'm with you standready, if someone killed my son or somebody in my family I'd probably completely lose it and do the same if I knew absolutely they were guilty in my own heart!
...I'm just talking about the state making that decision through court testimony and third party witness statements, couldn't trust that as much you know Rolling Eyes
Kcin1
I think the death penalty takes too long. After someone is sentenced they sit on death row for five years costing hundreds of thousands of my tax dollars. If it was up to me, I'll just take them around back and hit them with a board with a nail in it. Problem solved.
torboxz
ocalhoun wrote:
I strongly support the death penalty.
here's some reasons:

    I don't want my tax dollars spent to support and gaurd a convicted muderer.
    If I was convicted of a capitol offence, I would prefer the death sentence over life in prison.
    Escape from prison is possible, but not escape from death.
    I don't believe in rehabilitation.


It should, however be carried out in the most humane way possible.
(a couple pounds of high explosives straped to the head would be a very humane method, as it would cause an immidiate end to conciousness)


ocalhun FTW!! You are right, bro. Having so many prisons/prisoners are a waste of money. Just imagine, how many dollars you spend a day for food? Prisoners also have their right, they want to eat 5 times a day, like us, but whose money that the government use to feed them? Us! Our money! The tax money that we pay!

If they were convicted because they killed someone, they should pay the same price, being killed too. If they got life sentence, think about the victim's family, living their life knowing that the person who killed their loved one is still alive, having good food. Heck, they even pay the murderer's food (the tax).

Think about it.
nigam
i agree with death penalty due to the rise of killers, robbers, kidnappers and carnappers. they should approved death penalty so that the rise of accidents and bad incidents would be lessen.
HamsterMan
I completely disagree with the death sentence. Revenge never solves anything, and I believe that no other human have the right to decide who lives and who dies. Say a guy kills someone, and you let the dead guys family choose the punishment for the murderer, and obviously in their rage they choose death. Shouldn't the murderers family get to decide what to do with the victims family as well, as they as well has been deprived of a member of their family.

By the way this discussion is kinda reminding me of the stargate episode Cor-Ai.
Futile
I am for the Death Penalty. I do not believe in an eye for an eye and anyone who knows anything about the Bible knows the rest of that verse and the next few following verses. And would not use it to justify their stance on the Death penalty whether for or against it. I am not going to waste bandwidth cutting, chopping and pasting quotes from the last two pages that I have read. I will just touch on points that I observed.

A very common point of anti Death Penalty posters seems to be the morale issue of taking a life of an individual who may be innocent ( I’ll cover this later). I think that in everyone’s haste to defend this life they seem to forgotten or lost focus on the big picture. In all capital punishment cases a life has been taken in a violent and usually premeditated fashion. This person has already enacted the “death penalty” on another individual without regards to that person’s rights. Someone stated life in prison is still life, but death is ceasing to exist. Why should an individual who has ended someone else’s existence not forfeit theirs? It just seems a little hypocritical to indirectly condone the actions that put the criminal in jail to begin with.

It appears that a majority of the posters against the Death Penalty are non Americans. I do not mean to insult anyone’s intelligence but I think that a quick FYI on the US Judicial system may clear up a few misconceptions that I discovered while reading this thread. Let me start off by saying that our fine judicial system is flawed and far from perfect as is everyone’s judicial system. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. There is no one man, (judge) saying that this individual is guilty. They are tried by a jury of their peers and the judge passes sentencing according to the laws in place. In some cases there are even separate hearing altogether concerning the sentencing. This isn’t the wild, wild west, where the sentence is carried out immediately. The average time for most Death Row inmates is 8 to 10 years. As long as there are appeals and avenues open a judge will pass sentencing but not issue an execution date. There are some inmates who have been on Death Row for 15 plus years. And yes there maybe someone who is innocent of the crime that they are accused of but they were found guilty. In our court systems you don’t even have to prove you are innocent. You just have to prove that there is reasonable doubt that you committed the crime. I am sure that more people who are guilty have walked than those who are innocent and found guilty.

Capital Punishment is meant as a deterrent. Hangings, the guillotine, the chopping block, firing squads were all forms of execution and used as deterrents in their respected day. No one wanted to commit a crime that would end up leading to one of those ends. Unfortunately in today’s society everything is so desensize and watered down that everyone is kicking and screaming for a convicted criminal’s right to live on a chance that he may be innocent when we are 100% sure that someone else’s life has been extinguished and their existence has been taken away from them.
Someone used the words inhuman and barbaric. We as a species are inhuman and barbaric. We kill, rape, torture and wage war on one another. Inhuman and barbaric are innate primal traits that we all have, whether we choose to admit it or not. It is how we are wired
endless
well im kind of a supporter for the death penalty, but if this isn't possible the best thing you could do is isolate them for life, and only gives them food and liquid, no more social contacts, just plain loniless, they probably kil lthemselves from depression them, and them we're not technically a murderer Very Happy
j_f_k
Its a case of 2 wrongs don't make a right and what if the person is wrongly convicted. #I know there are some horrible offences but thius doesn't make it right.
bigt
ocalhoun wrote:
I strongly support the death penalty.
here's some reasons:

    I don't want my tax dollars spent to support and gaurd a convicted muderer.
    If I was convicted of a capitol offence, I would prefer the death sentence over life in prison.
    Escape from prison is possible, but not escape from death.
    I don't believe in rehabilitation.


It should, however be carried out in the most humane way possible.
(a couple pounds of high explosives straped to the head would be a very humane method, as it would cause an immidiate end to conciousness)


I mostly agree, except I think we shouldn't worry about the most humane method. We should think about cost and why the convicted person is there to begin with.
Afaceinthematrix
I don't believe in the death penalty because it can never be undone. Innocent people have been killed. I do, however, believe that prisons (in the United States) are a complete joke and that they should be much worse. Prisoners should have no rights. More money is spent on each prisoner than many hard-working people make. That is wrong. Many people go to prison, they learn the ropes, they build a life there, and they stay there (watch prison shows on the television). Prison should be a much worse place (I don't object to painful/embarrassing punishments).
Ghost Rider103
SilverDogg wrote:
another fact is also that is very biased. who get sent to death row most? black people!if a white kills a white, his risk of going to death row is lesser than the risk the black man who killed a white/black is (especially if he killed a white).

ocalhoun, so you think its ok to sacrifice a couple of people just to get the ones who "deserve" it?

if we use "an eye for an eye..." we have to do that on everything.

rape the rapist.
burn down the arsonists house.
rob the robber.

and so on...


Sorry, but the only reason it seems like black people get sent to death row the most (Which is indeed true) is because over 65% of people in prision are black. Thus meaning that black people have a much higher crime rate than a white person.

Sorry that was a little off topic, but you made it sound like the government is being racist and puts more black people in prision than white people. Which we now have a black PRESIDENT so that shows us white people are not as racist as some may think.

Back on topic....
truespeed
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Many people go to prison, they learn the ropes, they build a life there, and they stay there (watch prison shows on the television). Prison should be a much worse place (I don't object to painful/embarrassing punishments).


I have seen US prisons on TV ,they are pretty harsh places,where to survive you need to be meaner,madder,more willing to commit violence than the next man,and you want it to be harsher?

What are you teaching these men,what lessons learned will they take back to society when they get released? You take a man into prison,make him better equipped to steal,lie,become more hardened,more hateful,and then release him when his times up?

Anyway thats off topic,as for the death penalty...........

Quote:

Futile Wrote.

It appears that a majority of the posters against the Death Penalty are non Americans.


It also appears that the majority in favour of the death penalty are Americans.



lastly,i don't think people are born evil,i think society as a whole creates them,and as such society should pay for them to spend the rest of their days in prison.
apple
In my country (Trinidad and Tobago) crime is out of control, for the year so far we have had 487 confirmed murders...hundreds of people missing...and quite a number murder/suicides.

Keep in mind I live on an island with abt 1.2 million ppl.

Based on that...I am in full support of the death penalty. Cause I don't see another way of handling this mess.
Related topics
Woman Ordered to Marry Rapist
100 Ways to be a better asshole
The Trial of Saddam
What do you think of Van Nguyen hanging?
Stanley "Tookie" Williams
I knew the Governator wouldn't let me down...
F. Nietzsche
S.D. Woman Admits Putting Baby in Landfill
Right to Lifers' Problem
Capital Punishment
Are atheists more likely to be fellons?
Troops charged with murdering Iraqi civilian
What Are Your Thoughts On The Death Penalty?
Saddam sentenced to death
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.