FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Linux





Goatmonkey
I just downloaded damn small linux and I need to know if I can run it natively in Mac Os X. A friend of mine saysit is a good linux to start with. Any body who has used it can you tell if it is good or not?
ocalhoun
I'm not familiar with that distro, but since the emphisis was on making it small, they probably didn't include support for mac hardware.

My opinion: SuSE is a good linux to start with
ruff_ryder
Yup, SuSE is excellent for beginners, but is also good for advanced Linux users. I myself have a dual boot system with Win2000 and SuSE 9.3. You could also check out Mandriva or Debian.
jovemac
ruff_ryder wrote:
Yup, SuSE is excellent for beginners, but is also good for advanced Linux users. I myself have a dual boot system with Win2000 and SuSE 9.3. You could also check out Mandriva or Debian.



Yeps. I too agreee.. SuSE is excellent for beginners as well as advanced users. I do started using Linux with SuSE 9.3 but couldnt find much of trouble.. easy going.
seanooi
I'm just curious, cause since windows had been giving me major pi*soff problems, I'm thinking of switching to linux.
I heard that FreeBSD is good for beginners, and so is Fedora Core. So which one would be the best recommendation for a total linux illeterated user like myself?
jovemac
seanooi wrote:
I'm just curious, cause since windows had been giving me major pi*soff problems, I'm thinking of switching to linux.
I heard that FreeBSD is good for beginners, and so is Fedora Core. So which one would be the best recommendation for a total linux illeterated user like myself?


If you are new user and want to try means I recommend Knoppix. No need of installation. Just boot with knoppix CD and start using it. Once you are familiar then you can start installing directly Linux in your PC.
seanooi
thank jovemac. I'm currently browsing through knoppix and SuSE.
But isn't SuSE suppose to be free? Because I saw that it's about 60USD per copy. Shocked
Which version is better? cause' i saw SuSE's interface and fell in love with it, hehe.....
There's Evaluation and Live.
jovemac
seanooi wrote:
thank jovemac. I'm currently browsing through knoppix and SuSE.
But isn't SuSE suppose to be free? Because I saw that it's about 60USD per copy. Shocked
Which version is better? cause' i saw SuSE's interface and fell in love with it, hehe.....
There's Evaluation and Live.


SuSE is free for download. You cannot update the free version also there wont be any support from SuSE. I tooo love the interface and having fun with that.. Its soo friendly and quite attractive tooo... other linux.
ocalhoun
Yes, when your'e paying for SuSE linux, your'e paying for telephone support, How-to books, and shipping mostly. (they also give you a snazzy sticker to put on your case.)
seanooi
Well, i just downloaded a 3.6GB 64bit SuSE 10.0 ISO image, but I'm currently still waiting for my DVD burner to arrive, so right now i can just stare at that huge file, ahahhaha Laughing
careyd
Mandrake and Ubuntu are really user friendly. I usually recomend Mandrake for those starting out on linux. Its really nice and I think it provides an easier transition from windows then the rest.

Suse used to be not that friendly, well I mean to newbies. Its always be up there with Redhat, but most of their documentation was in german. They've made great changes in the past year or more and provide decent english support now.

Since Novell boought them they are supposed to be even better then before. I'm not sure about the ease of use since I haven't gotten my hands on a recent copy, but I bet they'll give redhat, and some of the others, a run for their money.
tfarrell67
I checked several web sites and there doesn't appear to be a DSL port for MAC.
Mandriva does however and my expeience with Mandrake/Mandriva has always been good...give it a try.
GW_Addict
ocalhoun wrote:
Yes, when your'e paying for SuSE linux, your'e paying for telephone support, How-to books, and shipping mostly. (they also give you a snazzy sticker to put on your case.)


On this note - since Novell purchased SuSE, they are pushing it towards the same model as Red Hat. For those who may not know, Red Hat created a spin-off for it's free distributions (called Fedora) and now you HAVE to pay for any distribution of actual Red Hat (ES, AS, etc.) - the idea is that you cannot buy it without the support. Novell is working towards the same model (if they are not there already.)

I myself am a Fedora fan.
bapakerwe
so, which Linux is best distro overall? is it Fedora, RH, SuSe, Mandrake, Knoppix, or the new BlankOn? kind of confuse about it.
I have RH9 but it run slow on my PC [Athlon 2100+ and Celeron 2.0;512 RAM;60 GB HD;128 MB 64 bit entry-level VGA]
is there any light version of linux to run on i386 based PC?
and about games [we all love games arent we?], how many games supported by linux?
GW_Addict
bapakerwe wrote:
so, which Linux is best distro overall? is it Fedora, RH, SuSe, Mandrake, Knoppix, or the new BlankOn? kind of confuse about it.
I have RH9 but it run slow on my PC [Athlon 2100+ and Celeron 2.0;512 RAM;60 GB HD;128 MB 64 bit entry-level VGA]
is there any light version of linux to run on i386 based PC?
and about games [we all love games arent we?], how many games supported by linux?


There is no easy answer here. The flavor you go with is very much a matter of personal tastes. (I myself prefer Fedora Core 4.) However, ALL of the Linux distributions have the basics that make Linux so versatile, so you can’t' really go too wrong.
As for the size of the install, these vary greatly depending on what you want to install. One can easily install pretty much any Linux system on a USB keychain, if you only want the bare kernel and not much else. If you are looking for a GUI, with games etc, I would plan on more (to a max average of about 2GB with most distributions.)

Any one else - feel free to join in here :)
GW_Addict
Ahh, sorry, forgot to answer the gaming question. Unfortunately (being a large gamer myself) Linux does not support much in the way of games. Most games are still written and distributed for Windows based systems (as that is where the market is.) It is my hope that some gaming company will wake up and realize that Linux is a real competitor to Windows and start porting their games over to it.

In the meantime, there are some basic ‘Windows Emulators’ out there for Linux like ‘Wine’ (Free) and ‘Cross Office’ (Costs). They do a fair job, but are pretty specific in what you can and cannot get to run in them.

Hope this helps….
Dino
I sugeest you to start with Mandriva, SUSE or Ubuntu, that are distros for begginers, but also powerful enough for advanced users ( except Ubuntu Smile )
GW_Addict
Dino wrote:
I sugeest you to start with Mandriva, SUSE or Ubuntu, that are distros for begginers, but also powerful enough for advanced users ( except Ubuntu :) )


I have never even heard of Ubunta, whats the scoop on this flavor?
.::idealist::.
Other distros has huge sizes and so they work slowly but Ubuntu is only one cd !

Ubuntu is more faster !

However, Ubuntu is developping so fastly with also developping own tools.

Other advantage is the fact they provide more easily and faster backports package/new packages version.

Ubuntu 6.04 will come special features.
withaar
Yellow dog linux has been around for the mac for a long time. Unlike the other distributions they focus on apple hardware only. I played with it once, using their live CD and it seems pretty good.

Your question is a bit unclear. You write:
Quote:
I need to know if I can run it natively in Mac Os X.

OSX is the operating system you are seeking to replace. Do you want a dual boot? Do you want to run it inside OSX?
engalex
be carful in use two system Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
TheGeek
seanooi wrote:
I'm just curious, cause since windows had been giving me major pi*soff problems, I'm thinking of switching to linux.
I heard that FreeBSD is good for beginners, and so is Fedora Core. So which one would be the best recommendation for a total linux illeterated user like myself?


Are you joking? freebsd is soooo much harder than anylinux distro. Configuration is a pain, and its just in general harder to use. Deffinatly either go with Suse, Mandrake, or if you are feeling daring and are installing on a laptop use slackware 10.2...but the install is a bit tricky for first timers
GW_Addict
TheGeek wrote:
seanooi wrote:
I'm just curious, cause since windows had been giving me major pi*soff problems, I'm thinking of switching to linux.
I heard that FreeBSD is good for beginners, and so is Fedora Core. So which one would be the best recommendation for a total linux illeterated user like myself?


Are you joking? freebsd is soooo much harder than anylinux distro. Configuration is a pain, and its just in general harder to use. Deffinatly either go with Suse, Mandrake, or if you are feeling daring and are installing on a laptop use slackware 10.2...but the install is a bit tricky for first timers


Yea, TheGeek has a valid point here. Unless you like painful experiances, stay away from FreeBSD. :) I would add Fedora and Knoppix to your list though.
leodv
Just run knoppix from live-cd, once you feel brave enough, go for redhat if you got the money, else take some time and learn more about linux, i wouldn't say it's easy to switch from windows to linux, but it's worth it..unless you are planning to use softwares that are only for windows.
GW_Addict
leodv wrote:
Just run knoppix from live-cd, once you feel brave enough, go for redhat if you got the money, else take some time and learn more about linux, i wouldn't say it's easy to switch from windows to linux, but it's worth it..unless you are planning to use softwares that are only for windows.


Right - Knoppix runs from a CD - a great way to learn the system without blowing away your windows system or messing with a dual-boot.

Also, as mentioned, Linux is great for many needs, but is not the system you want for "Gaming", as most games are still built for Windows.

For everyone on this post - here is fantastic thread about the Linux equivalents for most Windows programs started by n0obie4life.
Enjoy! (But please put your Windows-to-Linux feedback in that post, not this one - no sense having two posts with the same info....:)

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-6765.html
dac_nip
I recommend ubuntu live cd if you plan on doing dual boot. you can order it free of charge from shipit. Its great for beginners and very user friendly and it has been rated number 1 by the distrowatch community

http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity
http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Ubuntu_becomes_1_distro_on_DistroWatch
silliman
Hi Jovemac and Linux Fans,

I downloaded Knoppix last night hoping to pop the iso CD in my tray and take Knoppix for a ride. Sad It didn't launch. I tried it [ KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso ] on 4 other PC (Windows XP) and couldn't get it to launch. I even tinkered with the BIOS setup to make sure the PCs were booting from CD drive first. But... nothing.

I'm dying to get my first Linux experience. Any pointers would be greatly appreciate.

Many Thanks,

Mark
SamiTheBerber
I use UBUNTU, it is easy to use and very light. With it can do many things, I had Fedora, but it is heavy and messy.
The Mazzter
silliman wrote:
Hi Jovemac and Linux Fans,

I downloaded Knoppix last night hoping to pop the iso CD in my tray and take Knoppix for a ride. Sad It didn't launch. I tried it [ KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso ] on 4 other PC (Windows XP) and couldn't get it to launch. I even tinkered with the BIOS setup to make sure the PCs were booting from CD drive first. But... nothing.

I'm dying to get my first Linux experience. Any pointers would be greatly appreciate.

Many Thanks,

Mark


I've had this too, maybe there's something wrong with you ISO. If you don't do allready, try a downloadmanager such as FDM: http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
The Mazzter
silliman wrote:
Hi Jovemac and Linux Fans,

I downloaded Knoppix last night hoping to pop the iso CD in my tray and take Knoppix for a ride. Sad It didn't launch. I tried it [ KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso ] on 4 other PC (Windows XP) and couldn't get it to launch. I even tinkered with the BIOS setup to make sure the PCs were booting from CD drive first. But... nothing.

I'm dying to get my first Linux experience. Any pointers would be greatly appreciate.

Many Thanks,

Mark


I've had this too, maybe there's something wrong with you ISO. If you don't do allready, try a downloadmanager such as FDM: http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
GW_Addict
The CD must be bootable. I was able to do it without a problem, but I have talked to others who have had the same issue with their machines not booting from the CD.

Also, you should make sure that your BIOS is set to boot from teh CD first, and your hard-drive second.
silliman
silliman wrote:
Hi Jovemac and Linux Fans,

I downloaded Knoppix last night hoping to pop the iso CD in my tray and take Knoppix for a ride. Sad It didn't launch. I tried it [ KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso ] on 4 other PC (Windows XP) and couldn't get it to launch. I even tinkered with the BIOS setup to make sure the PCs were booting from CD drive first. But... nothing.

I'm dying to get my first Linux experience. Any pointers would be greatly appreciate.

Many Thanks,

Mark


Just as a follow up to "Knoppix wont' boot." I made the mistake of copying my downloaded Knoppix ISO file as a "data file" to the new, blank CD. I learned from "Root" (my techie kuru) that I was suppose to burn an IMAGE to the CD.

I did... it works... I'm wayyyyyyyyyyy happy.

Aloha,

Mark
GW_Addict
So, with the idea of sparking more conversation on this post, any of you Linux folks out there think there will be more Linux based worms and virus's for Red Hat and SUSE due to them now charging for there versions of the OS? I think there are a lot of people out there who are upset at this, as it sort of goes against what Linux was all about.

(Though the technical feasibility of a virus on a UNIX-based system is in itself a whole conversation. :)

Thoughts?
tony
GW_Addict wrote:
(Though the technical feasibility of a virus on a UNIX-based system is in itself a whole conversation. Smile


Thats about what I was going to say in response to your post. Theres a reason no one's made a posix os virus. namely malware is dependent on software vulnerabilities the unix kernel lacks. so dont worry about something that will most likely never happen.
GW_Addict
tony wrote:
GW_Addict wrote:
(Though the technical feasibility of a virus on a UNIX-based system is in itself a whole conversation. :)


Thats about what I was going to say in response to your post. Theres a reason no one's made a posix os virus. namely malware is dependent on software vulnerabilities the unix kernel lacks. so dont worry about something that will most likely never happen.


OK, my bad - the term "virus" was the wrong word here. I should have said Malware/Worms, etc, as Worms are more the issue surrounding my question. (Such as the ELF (Evil Linux Worm)
(http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=ELF%5FKAIGENT%2EC)

Also, what you say is correct, and I am by no means disagreeing, but why then are the large anti-virus companies like TrendMicro all realeasing versions of their products for linux?

TrendMicro also has this to say "Unprotected Linux resources may actually act as carriers, allowing viruses and malware intended to disrupt non-Linux operating systems to move throughout the network. Even after an initial outbreak has been contained, viruses may still be able to execute their payload and infect the entire network."
(http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/linux_overview.php)

???
blueway
I personally suggest :

fedora core

open suse

ubuntu
superphysics
I don't know about others, but I personally feel that Fedora Core is a sweet OS. It has everything you could ask for, even four taskbars! Specifically, its the new version 5 that really makes a killing. You don't have to take my word for it, you can use it free from [url]fedora.redhat.com[/url], it's just that it's a drattedly large file....
For more info, I's suggest you you go to www.fedoraforum.org.
GW_Addict
Fedora Core is my favorite OS of choice.

However, I am surprised that nobody has had any input into the Virus/Work thread......

Surely not everyone out there has the same opinion.... ;)
bboy_nycb
How works a linux distro in dual boot with MAC OS?
Do all softwares work well?
dac_nip
bboy_nycb wrote:
How works a linux distro in dual boot with MAC OS?
Do all softwares work well?


haha, i have never thought of this idea! I might as well try it.
GW_Addict
bboy_nycb wrote:
How works a linux distro in dual boot with MAC OS?
Do all softwares work well?


It reportedly works OK, though I rather expect a great deal has to do with the flavor of Linux you wanted to attempt this with. As for me, I have never actually tried it before, so cannot help with which distro to try. All I know is that it is (reportedly) do-able.

But hey - is there anything that you cannot do with Linux? :)
Dino
I don`t think that DSL is the best choice for new user, better try SUSE, Mandriva or Ubuntu
GW_Addict
Dino wrote:
I don`t think that DSL is the best choice for new user, better try SUSE, Mandriva or Ubuntu


You should also add Fedora to that list. Fedora Core 4 has some pretty amazing things bundled in with it now, including the newest Eclipse software.
aciminsk
Well, Debian is definitely not the choise for the first starters. Though probably the largest collection of applications. The full distribution set is 14 CDs as of now.
GW_Addict
aciminsk wrote:
Well, Debian is definitely not the choise for the first starters. Though probably the largest collection of applications. The full distribution set is 14 CDs as of now.


Holy Crap! And to think that you can get a fully functioning Linux system running on a 256MB USB key! :)
{name here}
I personally don't like linux that much. It performed really slow on my system. I reccomend FreeBSD, if you're familiar with UNIX shells(but if you know dos, the commands are fairly similar, although I hate the vi included. OpenWatcom vi rocks). Once you get X running with KDE, GNOME, or Xfce, its a breeze. I have yet to successfully install a splash screen though.
photographerguy
This is a very interesting thread.

I've been using windows since I've been using computers (only 13 years)
I hate it. I bought a Mac 3 months ago, I'm in love. I have been reading a little about Linux lately (I am not familiar at all about it). The idea of a dual boot mac/linux machine has me interested. I'm scared of messing with my new Mac though. It seems most dual boots are Windows/Linux that I've been reading about. From what I've come accross, Mac/Linux isn't a very popular combo. Even though I'm interested and doing some googling on the subject, I'm not sure what advantage of a dual boot would give me. I was reading about wine, my dream would never use windows again, and be able to run windows stuff through wine on my dual boot machine. It seems wine isn't up to par yet.

Someone mentioned running dual boot or running Linux from within MacOSX. What is the difference and how? I mostly use my computer for photography/graphic/web design. Adding some games and some windows only photograpy plug-ins (for photoshop, etc)would be awesome.
GW_Addict
photographerguy wrote:
This is a very interesting thread.

I've been using windows since I've been using computers (only 13 years)
I hate it. I bought a Mac 3 months ago, I'm in love. I have been reading a little about Linux lately (I am not familiar at all about it). The idea of a dual boot mac/linux machine has me interested. I'm scared of messing with my new Mac though. It seems most dual boots are Windows/Linux that I've been reading about. From what I've come accross, Mac/Linux isn't a very popular combo. Even though I'm interested and doing some googling on the subject, I'm not sure what advantage of a dual boot would give me. I was reading about wine, my dream would never use windows again, and be able to run windows stuff through wine on my dual boot machine. It seems wine isn't up to par yet.

Someone mentioned running dual boot or running Linux from within MacOSX. What is the difference and how? I mostly use my computer for photography/graphic/web design. Adding some games and some windows only photograpy plug-ins (for photoshop, etc)would be awesome.


You are correct in many things here. First, Windows/Linux is very common, while Mac/Linux is not. It is also much harder to do Mac/Linux from what I understand. There may also be nothing to gain from this other than the learning experiance (though that is often enough. :)

As for Wine - it still has a LOT of maturing to do. It is not all it is cracked up to be. CrossOffice has windows emulation software that is much, much better than Wine - but it costs. Wine's functionality is (again in my experiance) very limited.
linuxuzmani
for the first time with linux i think live cd are great.you can easly download slax(170mb) and write image on a mini cd and then restart your computer so your computer should be booted with slax and slax a live cd it doesn't write your hardisk.Ý think u should try it.
Nolt
same as ubuntu live but ubuntu live take much more space on CD but its worth Smile also all linuxes looks almost the same with standart configurations Smile
{name here}
GW_Addict wrote:
photographerguy wrote:
This is a very interesting thread.

I've been using windows since I've been using computers (only 13 years)
I hate it. I bought a Mac 3 months ago, I'm in love. I have been reading a little about Linux lately (I am not familiar at all about it). The idea of a dual boot mac/linux machine has me interested. I'm scared of messing with my new Mac though. It seems most dual boots are Windows/Linux that I've been reading about. From what I've come accross, Mac/Linux isn't a very popular combo. Even though I'm interested and doing some googling on the subject, I'm not sure what advantage of a dual boot would give me. I was reading about wine, my dream would never use windows again, and be able to run windows stuff through wine on my dual boot machine. It seems wine isn't up to par yet.

Someone mentioned running dual boot or running Linux from within MacOSX. What is the difference and how? I mostly use my computer for photography/graphic/web design. Adding some games and some windows only photograpy plug-ins (for photoshop, etc)would be awesome.


You are correct in many things here. First, Windows/Linux is very common, while Mac/Linux is not. It is also much harder to do Mac/Linux from what I understand. There may also be nothing to gain from this other than the learning experiance (though that is often enough. Smile

As for Wine - it still has a LOT of maturing to do. It is not all it is cracked up to be. CrossOffice has windows emulation software that is much, much better than Wine - but it costs. Wine's functionality is (again in my experiance) very limited.

Theres always bochs, plex86(both free), VMware, and others if you have an installation CD, its not going to be very fast, but it will give you full binary compatability...
GW_Addict
Back to a thread about Linux being "bullet-proof". Of course it is more so than Windows....but we should not have blinders on either. :)

Here is the list of the most recent high priority virus alerts causing out order virus definitions to be released.

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/default.asp?advis=more&sort=date&order=desc

Check the number of incidents for ELF, Linux, Unix and OS X.

Note: that the ELF_Marie.F in theory can work the same way the blaster worm gained entrance to Windows thru a Security hole.
Here are a few links for Linux OS version this virus can target.f.

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/secadvisories/default6.asp?VNAME=XML%2DRPC+for+PHP+Remote+Code&Page=
Related topics
Novell acquires Linux security company
IBM, Red Hat widen Linux mainframe promotion
own linux distro
Nokia does Linux on its new Internet tablet
Linux or Windows on your computer?!
Linux and other IT books
A "small" list of free apps
BIG LINUX
Linux & Windows
Tutorials-How To Install Winxp And Linux To The Same Compute
Linux Problem
Thumb-drive Linux Distro
Linux Needs Progs
Windows to Linux ( Vice Versa )
A nice Linux kernal tutorial!
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.